What's new

Breaking in a brush, face vs. bowl lathering?

So, just a question that I had about this. I'm in the process of trying to fully break-in my Semogue Owner's Club Boar Brush, which I've heard it could really take a while but its completely worth it, and getting it where I want it to be. So pretty much what I want to know is if choosing face lathering over bowl lathering and vice-versa really makes any difference in a brushes' break-in period?

Ime it doesn't matter whether you face or bowl lather, as long as you use it. Just use the method you feel most comfortable with. And welcome!

I body lather. Any new brush I want to break in, I use it in the shower to lather soap all over myself, I find it speeds up the break-in process and gives me a nice scrub ...

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Bowl lathering may break it in faster, but in the end, using it any method will work.

Body Lather... :lol:

I body lather. Any new brush I want to break in, I use it in the shower to lather soap all over myself, I find it speeds up the break-in process and gives me a nice scrub ...

Interesting. My wife exfoliates, maybe I'll break in my SOC with her..

I do not prefer face lathering, but I do appreciate my Georgetown Pottery G12 Wet-Shaving Scuttle. In my opinion, it's the oooh factor in the wet-shaving process. The formed ridges and bumps in the scuttle really do assist the brush both in break in as well as creating a thick, rich, lather.

Palm lather every other day 5-10 times a new boar. Then you can start using it the way you like for another ~20 times and it should be there...

Cool, that's great to know. I've shaved with my SOC 20+ times but it's still tough to get a great lather after the 1st pass, my technique ain't to great either so the brush doesn't get all the heat. So far bowl lathering seems to be doing the trick for me with this one. Body lathering, interesting concept...

I had to bowl lather my SOC boar when breaking it in...maybe my face is just sensative, but i swear i was getting brush burn when i tried to break it in face lathering.

My Omega Pro 48 Boar brush smelled like a pig for about three months. I kept it away from my face as much as possible. Bowl lathered the stinker. Now I face lather.

I actually like the idea of body lathering for a few days in the shower. Something I hadn't thought of, and something that I think would hasten the break-in process. The things you learn on B&B...

Bowl, cup etc. but never directly ON my face!:w00t:

I just don't see any advantage to face lathering. :001_rolle

A lot of people (myself included) find it best because it allows you to better judge the lather as it's already on the surface you will be shaving. It also tends to further soften the beard further than your normal pre-shave prep would alone. YMMV!

Top Bottom