What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

I can't believe I'm just now seeing this thread. There are so many great looking rocks! Here's my first, and only. My second one is in the mail to me that I recently bought from another member here.

The jury is still out on what vein this might be (another thread), but it sounds like perhaps a La Dressante...and all this time I had thought it was a La Grise. Who knows, I just know it makes my razors shave amazingly smooth.

View attachment 525507

La Verte, I have one that looks just like this one .

^
I've had Dressante's and La Grise that look like that. I've seen lines like that in Vertes but not with the reddish thing going on.
But - whatever it is - it's a nice stone.

$11311850_1606715822930380_2066412638_n.jpg

So received the stone I posted last page. And so far it seems like the perfect coticule. Fast fine and easy to use. There is an layer or inclusion that I haven't seen before. Any one who can Id the stone or knows what the brown layer is?$2015-06-07 07.53.12.jpg$2015-06-07 07.52.45.jpg

To me, that tan line looks like the stone, not the hamburger-helper they use to even up the bottom of the Coti layer.

Yep, I've had a few vintages with that sort of thing going on. I suspect it's some of the minerals from the bbw layer seeping into the coticule layer and changing its hue. A true "hybrid", unlike Les Lat's hybrid layer.

I finally had some time to get my family together for a group photo session. I'll let the pictures do the talking, but would be happy provide info on any of the stones if wanted.
I'm don't really know anything about photography, so I just took these under natural light on my iphone 6 and didn't do anything to them. (Click to enlarge)
Enjoy :)

Last edited:
Picture two the squared "Rose Rock" looks like he has a orange/red teint...looks like a Veille Rouge...

By the way, really nice stones!!! Also the one with the striped and dotted manganese lines !! If you need some other stones for trade let me know ;-)

Enjoyed all the pictures...

Picture two the squared "Rose Rock" looks like he has a orange/red teint...looks like a Veille Rouge...

By the way, really nice stones!!! Also the one with the striped and dotted manganese lines !! If you need some other stones for trade let me know ;-)

Enjoyed all the pictures...

Thanks! Yeah that Red Rose rock does have that Veille Rouge look. It's very fast, but to be honest I've had a hard time getting a great edge with it. I love the Rose Rock boxes though, so I couldn't pass it up. The rose rock that is just pinkish/salmon is a GREAT stone, but the indelible ink is almost gone and I fear using it now...
The manganese mess stone (5x2) is one I got not too long ago and spend probably more than I should have. It's my favorite looking for sure and is also a natural combo.
But the best finisher of the group is the one on the left of the 5x2s - manganese lines, natural combo, fast, and very, very hard and dense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom