What's new

aeropress for work

I have an aeropress at home that I love. I have a coffee shop in my building at work and I can get an afternoon Americano, but its not great. Considering saving myself the $2 for a mediocre Americano and getting another aeropress for my desk.

For anyone doing that, how do you deal with ground coffee for it? I don't really want to grind here, but I can if its a necessity. I was thinking of grinding in batches, then putting them in ziploc bags or something and bringing in a couple of days worth at a time. Anyone have a good solution for that?

I grind enough coffee for a few days (up to a week) for my work Aeropress. It is not ideal, but since I'm starting with fresh roasted coffee, 4-day old grinds still taste better and fresher than our building's coffee stand.

Much better to grind fresh if you're already going through the extra effort. I have the aeropress & hario mini slim mill for work. We have one of those cheap cuisinart burr grinders there, too, which is good enough when using a paper filter. It takes about a minute to grind enough for the aeropress in the mini mill, which leaves me enough time to set things up while the water's heating in the microwave.

Then again, if you're not looking for the best cup, and are just looking to save money, grind & pack in an airtight container completely full, and use the smallest you can find. Use several if needed. Better to not open it. The less air gets to the coffee, the better. (But really, grind it fresh.)

Grind enough to press out one cup tonight before bed. Brew it in the morning. Then grind and brew a fresh cup. Taste to compare. If you can tell a big difference, get a hand mill and grind at work. If you can't tell, grind every morning and put it in a small sealed jar or a snack size ziplock.
When I travel, I weigh out my beans and portion into snack size ziplocks. I grind with my Hario slim while the water boils. It's the method I'd use if I took my aeropress to work.

I have a very nice hand grinder that I travel with (Lido 2 in it's own case with some coffee) but I played with grinding some coffee in the morning to bring into work. I found some reusable plastic salad dressing cups that would hold about 18 grams of ground coffee and I'd fill one or two of those up with ground coffee in the morning. Since the cups are small, you can fill them up and leave very little air in them which may help prevent staling.

One of my qualms with this would be if I ground up and filled a cup and didn't use it or if I wanted a second cup, I'd be out of luck, but if you have a good grinder at home I think it works pretty well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to start with an aeropress and get some small containers to grind at home and bring to work. If that seems to go well, I will eventually look into a Hario mini mill or something similar.

My work / travel kit consists of - Aeropress with S filter, Porlex Mini grinder, Norpro 559 Immersion heater, 6 oz SnackVac for the beans, 5842 Taylor slim timer, Taylor Digital Thermometer, an Onsight travel bag to carry it all, and a 16 oz Thermos mug. All I need is a wall socket and I'm good to go. For me one full-to-the-brim Porlex gives me enough grounds to make a very nice 16 oz mug of coffee, but of course YMMV. (ya, I know....can everyone say overkill? what can i say... new to all of this... and upgraditis and accessoritis are in full swing!)

Top Bottom