What's new

What's your everyday safety razor?

It was my 1940s Super Speed, but that has been pipped to the post this last month since I purchased a Feather AS-D2

I have a Fatboy, Slim, GEM, an Edwin Jagger 89.
But, today

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 147
I try to change about once a week or so... I just have so many I really like. Then I get something new that I have to try...

I got into this almost a year ago with the plan of saving money, a minimalist without ever having heard of that term before. I started with the department store VDH (Weishi knockoff), then moved on to a Maggard MR6. It has become my every day razor. It gives me DFS everyday and quite often BBS so I am good. I haven't been bitten by the RAD bug yet, vintage or modern. So now, if I could quit buying soap I might actually save some money, lol.

Lately I've been using a 1958 Fatboy. I have a few other vintage razors that I haven't used yet. Based on what I have used so far, my preference is a 1974 black handle Super Speed.

I haven't decided on which of my 8 razors will get the title of "Everyday" champ so the answer is still in flux. Since my collection has a theme of "the country the razor is made in" they all approach DE shaving differently... which it the whole point to my collection.

One of my most recent additions is the Feather Popular plastic razor from Japan. The "Popular" really is quite impressive with a feather blade. I get a BBS shave every time with it. A close second is a $9.95 "Pal" razor from China. It too is remarkable if you treat it gently.

I've just this January (2015) taken up the blade after 54 years of Norelco electric shavers. Lately , well the last several years really, I couldn't shave without getting severe razor burn on my neck so I had to cheat with a cheapo plastic wonder razor to shave my neck.

This is my first post on BB and I'd going to try to make a coherent story of my journey into DE shaving logged here on BB over time.

One other point....
I have no interest in straight razors. The severe arthritis in my hands along with a slight tremor now makes them unsafe for me to get involved with. That's ok since DE razors can be just a much fun........

Last edited:
At home, a 1960 Gillette Fatboy Adjustable; for travels, I use a 1963 Gillette Slim Adjustable. As for razors, I haven't found a bad one yet.

I only have two, but both my New LC and Parker 26c give killer smooth shaves. Most razors probably do, depending on the hand wielding them, I reckon. I'll try more to test the theory. Next up on my with list will be a Merkur Slant. If I love the slant variety, I would probably save up for an ATT S1/2, and then probably only collect razors if they came to me by chance. That's the thought, anyways.

I shave with a variety of razors, but my #1 fav probably is the Barbasol Floating Head from the early 1930's.

Honorable mention would include the Gillette NEW and the Gillette Slim and others too many to mention.

Top Bottom