What's new

picked up my first SE, Ever Ready 1912 razor.

Hello,

picked up my first SE razor from the 'bay. I did find it by accident as I was looking for brush handles, which this also came with. Its an Ever-Ready 1912 in a Bakelite box.
How do you date these things? I cant see any markings other than the pat 1912 and 'Made in England'.
The box is in excellent condition, the blade holders actually move on a pivot rather than being able to be removed.
I just wanted to share with you guys.
Cheers

$photo 1 (4).jpg
$photo 2 (6).jpg
$photo 3 (2).jpg

Dating SE razors is an inexact science, to put it mildly. There are no date codes, serial numbers, etc.

American Safety Razor (the parent company) started manufacturing the "New Improved" 1912 model under the Ever-Ready trademark in their plant in England around 1930 or so.

So, your razor probably dates from that era.

Nice score!

--Bob

Ah okay, I didn't know that about the date codes, or the science ha.

Cheer for the info bob!

I think Gem is the only manufacturer still making blades. You can get blades at CVS but I've been told those are rebranded Gems. I love my Ever Ready 1912. Great find on that one!

I think Gem is the only manufacturer still making blades. You can get blades at CVS but I've been told those are rebranded Gems. I love my Ever Ready 1912. Great find on that one!

That will explain it then. Im in the UK, I can pick them up though at connaught shaving. Cant wait to give it a try.

American Safety Razor is the manufacturer of Gem, Treet, and most of the store brand single edge razor blades.

Korean manufacturer Dorco also makes single edge blades, but I have heard only negative things about them.

Avoid blades you might find in a hardware store. While they will fit the razor, they are made for paint scrapers and box cutters, and the edge is not shaving quality.

--Bob

American Safety Razor is the manufacturer of Gem, Treet, and most of the store brand single edge razor blades.

Korean manufacturer Dorco also makes single edge blades, but I have heard only negative things about them.

Avoid blades you might find in a hardware store. While they will fit the razor, they are made for paint scrapers and box cutters, and the edge is not shaving quality.

--Bob
I didnt know that, so theres no point trying different blades then I guess, if they're all rebranded. Cheers on the info.

Nice razor and a nice box. Congrats on the score.

cheers mate, Im really happy with it.

I didnt know that, so theres no point trying different blades then I guess, if they're all rebranded. Cheers on the info.

While nearly all blades are made by ASR, there are two materials used: stainless and carbon steel. They have considerably different shave characteristics, so ideally you would want to try both. I like the stainless blades but many others prefer the carbon steel.

The carbon steel blades must be removed from the razor and dried between shaves, otherwise they will rust.

Some users swear that there are subtle differences between the various brands of carbon steel blades, even though they all come out of the same factory.

I've never noticed any difference, but maybe their faces are more sensitive than mine. :001_smile

--Bob

Nice...don't see many of the Brits on here. It looks to be in really great shape. Congrats!!

In addition to what Bob said above, there are some ASR carbon steel blades that have a blue coating on them that seems to help prevent rust. The Pal Supers are like this. I can get these cheap from a local grocery store and I really like them. They still have the 009RD on the spine so I am assuming that they are the same as the other carbon steel ASR blades except for the blue coating. For me anyway, the Pal blades don't rust nearly as easily as the other carbon steels.

I also have some of the Dorco SE blades, and they aren't very good at all. I think we have finally found something in the shaving world that isn't a YMMV issue, as I have never found a single person who says that they actually like and prefer the Dorco blades.

While nearly all blades are made by ASR, there are two materials used: stainless and carbon steel. They have considerably different shave characteristics, so ideally you would want to try both. I like the stainless blades but many others prefer the carbon steel.

The carbon steel blades must be removed from the razor and dried between shaves, otherwise they will rust.

Some users swear that there are subtle differences between the various brands of carbon steel blades, even though they all come out of the same factory.

I've never noticed any difference, but maybe their faces are more sensitive than mine. :001_smile

--Bob

oops, a bit ignorant to assume they are all the same then. Didn't think about them being different materials. I am yet to try a carbon blade even in the DE world so would be cool to find some. Cheers

Nice...don't see many of the Brits on here. It looks to be in really great shape. Congrats!!

In addition to what Bob said above, there are some ASR carbon steel blades that have a blue coating on them that seems to help prevent rust. The Pal Supers are like this. I can get these cheap from a local grocery store and I really like them. They still have the 009RD on the spine so I am assuming that they are the same as the other carbon steel ASR blades except for the blue coating. For me anyway, the Pal blades don't rust nearly as easily as the other carbon steels.

I also have some of the Dorco SE blades, and they aren't very good at all. I think we have finally found something in the shaving world that isn't a YMMV issue, as I have never found a single person who says that they actually like and prefer the Dorco blades.

thanks, its in really good shape, no rust at all.
I will search for other blades , I have only found one place that sells SE blades in the UK, Im jealous that you guys can pick them up in stores ha.
cheers guys

Score. I love those art deco handles. I've got one (not English, not cased, not in nearly as good shape; still beautiful, but yours is on another level!)

I've actually tried some of the higher end box cutter blades from American Safety Razor in boxes of 100. They are certainly not as good as the Gem Super Stainless, but they do provide a surprisingly half way decent shave. I know a number of others who use them and have had relatively good luck with them also. Might want to pick up a package of 100 for around $7.50 US just to keep as spares. If they don't work well for you, you now have an ample supply of box cutter and scraper blades.

Nice score !!! case and razor look great, have a few and the shave is pretty sweet.

Super catch! One of the best there ... have fun!

Score. I love those art deco handles. I've got one (not English, not cased, not in nearly as good shape; still beautiful, but yours is on another level!)

cheers guys! It does look pretty cool and very happy with the quality.

I've actually tried some of the higher end box cutter blades from American Safety Razor in boxes of 100. They are certainly not as good as the Gem Super Stainless, but they do provide a surprisingly half way decent shave. I know a number of others who use them and have had relatively good luck with them also. Might want to pick up a package of 100 for around $7.50 US just to keep as spares. If they don't work well for you, you now have an ample supply of box cutter and scraper blades.

I will bear that in mind. Im going to order some Gems first and see how they go.

Top Bottom