What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Thanks Edgar. Bummer, I guess this one is going up for resale when it gets here. Not that I don't like the New Standards, just don't want two atm. Will keep my eye out.

Well the Cadet 44 OC just gave me a phenomenal shave! I tried it with a Rapira PL and liked that combo much better that with the Astra SP (which is my go to blade)...I was surprised at how much more comfortable it was with a different blade.

First shave with my new Vie Long Zurito Blanco and I am VERY impressed with this brush....nice and soft right out of the gate but still had some backbone and whipped up a nice scuttle full of MWF...I love the handle, both in looks and ergonomics....this brush really has quickly become a favorite and I think face lather guys would love it....the feel of the this brush with the MWF was an awesome combo.

Really had a great slow shave...light touched the Cadet, four passes and now my face is SUPER smooth...what a great start to Valentines day!

My most recent razor is also a Cadet, which I've been using since Christmastide, and my most recent brush is a Vie Long horse as well, which I've only used a few times since recently acquiring it.

As to the the Cadet: I'm happy to hear your good report with it. In my experience, the shaves just keep getting better, the more you use it. In fact, you may find that the brand of blade you use in it matters less and less. I have literally not used a blade that won't give me a close shave in my Cadet OC. I've even taken a blade that treated me like crap in my other razor, loaded it into the Cadet the next shave, and gotten decent to excellent results. Angle and pressure matter with this razor; posting attention to those two things will make for a happy shave.

As to the Vie Long: I recently opened a thread for horse hair brush users called "The Tail and Mane Society", and I'd love to see a full review of your Zurito over there. You can read a newbie's take on a similar brush there as well: my opening (and thus far only) post is about my Vie Long #12601.

Good evening men, I just had an excellent shave with my 1928 Gillette New Standard. I used a modern Astra SP for a blade, along with a healthy dollop of Proraso Blue shaving cream. Man, what a shave. I haven't used this razor that much, but at this rate it might work its way into my rotation yet! I'll score this shave as a BBS in two passes. Here's the photo-
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424318321.481863.jpg

Someone on another thread mentioned that Fatip use to say on their box that the razor was made of brass (ottone, the Italian word for brass) but no longer does. Does anyone know if they are still made of brass?
./.

Good evening men, I just had an excellent shave with my 1928 Gillette New Standard. I used a modern Astra SP for a blade, along with a healthy dollop of Proraso Blue shaving cream. Man, what a shave. I haven't used this razor that much, but at this rate it might work its way into my rotation yet! I'll score this shave as a BBS in two passes. Here's the photo-
View attachment 550204
WTH? It's not an ABC set!?!? Lock the thread, Morman used something besides an ABC!!! [emoji13]

Ok, sorry for the poor quality of the picture. Maybe one of these days I'll get a real camera to take pics! :laugh:

Here's four #77 sets (one of them is the 3 piece version with the Thin Tech handle) a #88 and an uncased RFB on a ball end handle. The two #77s at the bottom are my workhorses, they've got little plating left but the shaves are superb. :thumbup1:

$CAM02332.jpg

The Rotbart:

$CAM01190.jpg

And the other Gillette I don't know its name:

$CAM02437.jpg$CAM02441.jpg$CAM02443.jpg

See? Only 8 RFBs ... how 'bout you guys? Let's see those NEWs! :thumbup1:

Ok, sorry for the poor quality of the picture. Maybe one of these days I'll get a real camera to take pics! [emoji23]

Here's four #77 sets (one of them is the 3 piece version with the Thin Tech handle) a #88 and an uncased RFB on a ball end handle. The two #77s at the bottom are my workhorses, they've got little plating left but the shaves are superb. [emoji106]1:

View attachment 550283

The Rotbart:

View attachment 550284

And the other Gillette I don't know its name:

View attachment 550285View attachment 550286View attachment 550287

See? Only 8 RFBs ... how 'bout you guys? Let's see those NEWs! [emoji106]1:
$uploadfromtaptalk1424363874097.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1424363882338.jpg

Top Bottom