What's new

Whats the purpose of buying MULTIPLE DE razors?

I think I will eventually end up trying a few different razors and then when it is all said and done I will end up with maybe two or three.

One milder razor but not too mild if I need to shave every day, take a break cause of some irritation or to work on my technique!
One more aggressive but not too aggressive if I wait too many days or as my every other day normal shave circle one.
and maybe one old Gillette for the heck of it and perhaps to shave with it now and then. Probably an adjustable one!

That is my plan! Of coarse, I dont know how many I will have to try to get there but I hope it isnt too many. I really do alot of reading of reviews and comments when it comes to razors in hopes of narrowing down my search of the holy grail setup! I am partial to stainless steel ones though over the plated ones!!

We just like to have multiple razors, different face feel, hand feel while shaving, different aesthetics to each as well. I think a collection also grows because were in search of that one razor that shaves above all others, and of course once you become a part of this site you need to keep up with jonese, we just like to brag mostly. :lol:

Do you mean like these? I started out wanting a couple different razors for variety. Then I thought I should have a '40's heavy handle Tech for my travel toiletry kit. Then I found some that had collection appeal. Then I finally found my birth year and quarter Super Speed. Then I figured I need at least one or two open combs. Everyone must have one each of the Gillette Adjustable razors. A few just came up as deals to good to pass up. So, that is my story. I use almost all razors in my collection except the travel razors. Mainly, I just like to change styles for variety.

Safety Razors (Double Edge)
· Gillette NEW long comb, 1930’s. Replated in nickel by “Krona Kruiser”.
· Gillette NEW short comb, 1930’s, gold.
· Gillette Tech (fat handle), NDC, 1939-1941. Triangular slots.
· Gillette Tech (fat handle), NDC, 1939-1941. Triangular slots.
· Gillette Super-Speed (40’s style), 1954 (Z1), in blue plastic case.
· Gillette Super-Speed “Heavy” (Red Tip), 1956 (B3).
· Gillette Super-Speed (Flare Tip), 1957 (C3), in beige plastic case. My birth year/quarter.
· Gillette Super-Speed (Flare Tip), 1957 (C4).
· Gillette Adjustable (“195” or “Fat Boy”), 1959 (E1).
· Gillette Tech (Ball End), 1961 (G1).
· Gillette “Slim” Adjustable, 1963 (I3).
· Gillette Travel Tech, 1967 (M3), in beige leather case.
· Gillette Travel Tech, 1967 (M3), brown leather case.
· Gillette “British” Tech, aluminum, NDC, 1963-1967.
· Gillette Super Speed, black handle, 1967 (M?).
· FaTip Grande, chrome, 2012?

Safety Razors (Single Edge)

· Gem Micromatic OC, 1933-34
· Gem Heavy Flat Top “G-Bar”, late 1940’s – early 1950’s
· Eversharp-Schick Adjustable, Type G1, 1950-53

It's the neverending search for the perfect razor. And when we find it, we such for a "more perfect" razor.

This ^^ . I have about 8 or 9 de razors, although to be fair, two are my wife's. I really only use "the one" razor that I've found suits me best. The rest I hold onto for when my son is old enough to shave as I don't expect to get them any cheaper when he is older. All of that being said, there's still a few de razors that I would purchase if the price was right, even though I'm into straights now and hardly reach for a de anymore.

Some are just so good looking, it's hard to resist. I had been using a Parker butterfly razor and made the mistake of looking at the Edwin Jagger Chatsworth with horn handle. I tried to resist, but to no avail. Bought a Merkur 37C slant because I had to try one. I absolutely love it. This was my first "short handle" razor and I now prefer stubby handles. Then the Merkur Futur was just so different and modern looking that I had to try it. It's not my favorite, but it is my "loudest" whisker cutter and I like it's heft. Then the gold of the Merkur 34G started calling my name. I couldn't resist the charm and the short handle of the open combed Merkur 1904/1906. It's a real slippery slope.

Ive been using DE razors for a little over 2 years. I have 5 razors. My first razor was a EJ DE89 which I purchased to learn with after much advice. I have 3 vintage Gillettes. '44 tech, '54 SS, and '64 slim. I got the tech because I liked the way it looked, the SS because it was my first TTO, and the slim as my first adjustable. Lastly I recently purchased a Merkur 1904 #41. I chose this razor because I wanted to try an open comb. They all shave differently an all quite enjoyable. Whether its curiosity or personal preference, I like to try different things.

I do it because I found this forum and saw that other guys were doing it. Peer pressure... LOL

Right now I have my everyday shaver, but I bought a gold tech to try out. Then I decided I wanted my birth year razor, my dad's birth year razor, and my grandpa's birth year razors for sentimental value.

I am also an acoustic guitar player and belong to a guitar forum. I have wondered why some people owned so many guitars, sometimes a dozen or more. What I found is that although some people are collectors, others are performers and have different guitars for different purposes or styles. Some guitars are for finger picking, some are better for strumming, while some have a very distinctive sound quality. And then there are some guitars that are just so beautiful to look at. That being said, some DEs are aggressive, some are mild, some are top heavy while some are evenly balanced. Some are better for heavy beards and some are better for light beards. Some can tame an aggressively sharp blade while others can take a mild blade and make it a tiger. And then, there are some that just look so good you just have to have it.

I have two guitars and four razors. I would like to own a Martin OM-21 because it is one of the best sounding guitars I have ever heard. I also would like to own a Gillette Aristocrat #15 because I think it is one of the most beautiful razors ever made. I can't afford either one.

Last edited:
They are fun to collect and play with, I mean shave with. :001_rolle

I like the history, look and feel of the razors. They are really fun to find in the wild or real cheap off eBay.
Kind of like finding buried treasure. I've kept some on display and some I use, some both!
All types shave differently, and it's exciting to use a razor type you have never tried before. Makes shaving an adventure.
A fun harmless hobby that you can spend a little bit of money on or ALOT.

I keep 8 or 9 in the rack in the bathroom ready for use. Various vintage Gillettes; a Red Tip, two 1940's Super Speed, both types of Trinagle Slot Techs, a Lady Gillette, Slim adjustable, 1948 Aristocrat, Black Handle Flare tip, 58 TV special SS, I JUST REALIZED THATS TEN!

anyway, when I get ready to shave I look over my heard and see which one calls out to be used today. It's fun, and just a little bit of variety, on my daily shave. I use shaving as a meditative, relaxation, unwind, to the day. I shave at night and take my time and get a BBS shave everyday.

I have close to 30 razors at this point and I am still looking for a few more varieties of vintage Gillettes that I still want.

i have given away over 10 razors at this point as well to friends, coworkers, family, etc...
So I keep a few extras on hand at all times for those I come across who show an interest.

Top Bottom