What's new

How do y'all use all the different colored inks?

For those with lots of inks, I'm curious how you use them. Do you write things in a specific color (e.g., love notes in red, Christmas cards in green, etc.)?

I use four pens and four pens per pen pal letter. Other than that, I just ink up whatever I'm in the mood for. I usually only ink up half fills so that I can change quicker for more variety.

I use different color inks for my daily journaling. I also use different color inks for work. I use blue or black for taking notes/minutes in meetings and then red or green for my action items at the end of each meeting.

Right now I have 3 pens needing either a refill, a flush, or ink change. Another that is about ready for same. (a color I use a lot of - Diamine Sherwood Green)

I also have two dark reds loaded. - Levenger Pomegranate and BlackStone Red Cashmere.
Purples/violets/purplish blue - BlackStone Blue Cashmere, Akkerman Voorhout Violet, Nostalgic Impressions Purple, Sterling Violet
Blue Blacks - Pelikan 4001, Diamine, Thistle #1, Thistle #2, Endiame/Webster's (today's Diamine) Blue Black
a turquoise- Diamine Steel Blue

Virtually all will get used for almost anything. Journal, letters, notes, - Client facing work will get black, blue black, Waterman Serenity Blue, maybe Akkerman Voorhout Violet or Shocking Blue, Blue Cashmere might be pushing it a little. Diamine Sherwood Green I would use for client facing. I even have Noodler's Apache Sunset - just not in a pen right now. Or Diamine Classic Red.

I write technical procedures and drawings and use the different inks to show different types of equipment or process flows. Or highlight certain points or sections.

The color itself isn't that important, they cycle based on mood and whim. But I just ave a hard time putting an ink in a pen that doesn't match (or complement) the color of the pen itself. Except black or demo, I can put anything in those. But, for example, a red pen _must_ get a red or orange ink - no way could I put a green or purple in a red pen!

Right now I have 3 pens needing either a refill, a flush, or ink change. Another that is about ready for same. (a color I use a lot of - Diamine Sherwood Green)

I also have two dark reds loaded. - Levenger Pomegranate and BlackStone Red Cashmere.
Purples/violets/purplish blue - BlackStone Blue Cashmere, Akkerman Voorhout Violet, Nostalgic Impressions Purple, Sterling Violet
Blue Blacks - Pelikan 4001, Diamine, Thistle #1, Thistle #2, Endiame/Webster's (today's Diamine) Blue Black
a turquoise- Diamine Steel Blue

Virtually all will get used for almost anything. Journal, letters, notes, - Client facing work will get black, blue black, Waterman Serenity Blue, maybe Akkerman Voorhout Violet or Shocking Blue, Blue Cashmere might be pushing it a little. Diamine Sherwood Green I would use for client facing. I even have Noodler's Apache Sunset - just not in a pen right now. Or Diamine Classic Red.

Look what the cat dragged in. Hello, stranger.

I mostly just ink up some pens with colors I'm in the mood to use or haven't used for a while. I try to have a good variety of colors inked up, so I can grab the pen with the color I want if I don't want to use a specific pen.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Most of my writing is just note taking for myself and I just started journaling. So my use of colors is by whim. As I begin to play with different nibs I have branched out to different colors to investigate shading and other nuances between different inks and nibs. Until a few months ago, I was strictly a boring fine point, black or blue-black writer.

Ninety percent of my writing is found in my journals. Ink color changes just to keep things interesting. (all blues and just one green so far)

I have three constant inks that I keep in my Esterbrooks and rotate inks through my two Lamy Safari's. I fill the converter half full and use them to write notes to my wife and daughters.

Hey Kansaskyle, if you're asking this because you're trying to decide what color (S) to buy. If you like it, just buy it. Sooner or later you'll put it in one pen or another

Hey Kansaskyle, if you're asking this because you're trying to decide what color (S) to buy. If you like it, just buy it. Sooner or later you'll put it in one pen or another

Just trying to find reasons to justify more than black. I did pick up the Noodler's 5 O'Clock shadow from WCS, but I don't have any colors (yet). I am thinking about red for some love letters.

Get some more colors. You won't regret it. If you're worried about not liking the color, go for samples. They're like rabbits! :)

And as a note about WCS... they are out of blue, only the black remains.

I own a variety of inks, none are black. I do not write letters in a preferred color of ink. I keep over a dozen pens inked at one time none have the same ink. I clean and flush my pens monthly and refill with fresh ink. I chose my inks at the time of the refill.

I enjoy writing in a variety of ink colors makes letter writing more fun.

I try to keep 4-6 pens inked at any one time. Half are inked with "work" inks. I work in a very conservative work environment so blue, blue-black or a dark gray are about all I can use. The remainder of the pens are intended for personal use so all bets are off. Reds, greens, browns or anything else I want can be used. This rotation moves a few pens out each week so I can change my choices regularly. Works for me.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Just trying to find reasons to justify more than black. I did pick up the Noodler's 5 O'Clock shadow from WCS, but I don't have any colors (yet). I am thinking about red for some love letters.

Well, I find I need a few colours that stand out from each other so that when I take notes at work I can differentiate one thing from another ... say "call to Dougie" is in black, and then "call to Jim" is in green and then "call from Douggie" is in red, and then the next one would be in black again, or whatever ... not that certain colours have assigned purposes, just to keep one thing distinct from the next on the same pad of paper.

I try to keep 4-6 pens inked at any one time. Half are inked with "work" inks. I work in a very conservative work environment so blue, blue-black or a dark gray are about all I can use. The remainder of the pens are intended for personal use so all bets are off. Reds, greens, browns or anything else I want can be used. This rotation moves a few pens out each week so I can change my choices regularly. Works for me.

Have you tried Noodler's Zhivago? Very dark green-black that looks black unless you look closely. It's quite water resistant, too.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I don't have work requirements, so I just use whatever I'm in the mood for at the time. I've got a handful of red, a purple, a couple of oranges, some blues, a nice green/black, an amber and even one black. I have yet to try the black, but someday.

Top Bottom