What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

Glad to hear you like it!......the S2 is just so straightforward and easy-going about it.

cmh737 - Chris, congrats on your Kronos S2. You are in for some seriously fun shaves!

Enjoy!

Chris,

Glad you were able to grab one and it's working for you. The S2 is that good. So easy to use as well. Enjoy man it should last a lifetime.

Thank you, fellow enablers! BTW, I went with the Kronos handle, and was thinking that maybe I should have gone with the Atlas. However, after this second use, I think the extra weight (and extra half inch) is just about right - allows for perfect balance, thus letting the razor do all the work without any pressure.

Thank you, fellow enablers! BTW, I went with the Kronos handle, and was thinking that maybe I should have gone with the Atlas. However, after this second use, I think the extra weight (and extra half inch) is just about right - allows for perfect balance, thus letting the razor do all the work without any pressure.

Well you can do what I just did. Get the Atlas handle as well. Ha. They work with many razor heads. I have mine paired with a NEW De Luxe head. Perfect match.

I have the Kronos and I find its weight and balance to be perfect.

I just did that - Atlas handle en rte. Next thing you know, I'll end up getting the S1 as well (actually, I doubt it - the S2 is really nice).

Excellent. The Atlas handle is great also. It's the same size as many of the vintage Gillettes. It should work with most vintage and modern style heads that screw into a handle. I'm saving my pennies for an H2 head.

What I like about Above The Tie is that it is'nt a prototype that is dolled out in small lots. When I want to buy it's available.

Dan

Has anyone compared a S1/S2 with a Merkur 37C?
I'm thinking to get a slant, if ATT would'nt be so expensive i will get it without thinking so much... :blushing:

Save the money and get the ATT. The Merkurs are decent but will likely not last several generations. I had a 38c and the S2 beats it hands down.

Has anyone compared a S1/S2 with a Merkur 37C?
I'm thinking to get a slant, if ATT would'nt be so expensive i will get it without thinking so much... :blushing:

I wasn't impressed with the 37C. I found it irritated my skin pretty easily, and didn't notice much difference in efficiency next to the 34C. The ATT S2, on the other hand, was decidedly special from the get-go.

I wasn't impressed with the 37C. I found it irritated my skin pretty easily, and didn't notice much difference in efficiency next to the 34C. The ATT S2, on the other hand, was decidedly special from the get-go.

Take this guys advice with a grain of salt though as he founded the Brotherhood of ATT shavers. Ha. Wait...didn't I join that one? If your going to get a Merkur...get the Progress...it's the best one they make. Get the ATT slant though. There is not a better one out there IMO.

Last edited:
Take this guys advice with a grain of salt though as he founded the Brotherhood of ATT shavers. Ha. Wait...didn't I join that one? If your going to get a Merkur...get the Progress...it's the best one they make. Get the ATT slant though. There is not a better one out there IMO.

Totally agree on both points here. The progress really is a great razor and my favorite Merkur so far by a wide margin. I've never heard a zamak razor sing like it does. The ATT slants really are amazing though and especially the S2 IMHO.

I took a couple of years break from this forum and after 2 days after coming back i'm about to buy a 200$ razor....:001_rolle

I've posted some thoughts on the B.A.T.T.S. thread, but figured I'd check in here as well. After a few weeks using my S2 and getting great, problem-free shaves with it, I figured I'd see what ATT aggression was really like and got an H2. I've used it the past two mornings, but so far it's been rough. The second shave was certainly a bit better (I focused on a shallow angle, slick lather, and what I thought was light pressure) but I still ended up with some weepers, alum sting, a red neck, and not a particularly close shave.

It may well be this level of aggression just isn't for me, and I can stick happily with the S2 and my Gillette NEWs. But before I give up, any other thoughts or advice? Is the H2 a matter of skill, or a matter of skin/beard compatibility? With the S2 being so intuitive, smooth, and effective, I do wonder whether the H2 is worth the bother. I liked the idea of mastering it for a very close shave, though.

Top Bottom