What's new

The Converter is Empty

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Converter arrived yesterday for my new Lamy Vista, flushed the new pen and inked her up with Noodler's Bullet Proof Black.

Finally had the time (and worked up the courage) to disassemble the vintage Pelikan 400 I picked up a while ago. The feed just didn't work properly, and when I tried to pull the nib initially it was as if it were welded in place. A little Goulet Pen Flush did the trick, came out fairly easily, along with some gritty blue-black remnants of whatever had been holding it in place for the past decade or so.

Cleaned 'er all up, filled with 5 O'Clock Shadow, and she writes like a champ. :thumbup:

Filled a Pilot 78G (F) with Parker Quink Black this morning, has just ran out, and have refilled again with the same ink.

It was almost empty, so I swapped nibs on my TWSBI 540 Smoke. I originally purchased it with a Medium nib, but thought it was too fat, so I bought a Fine nib assembly and tossed the Medium in a drawer. Lately, however, I've been liking mediums, so I popped it back in and refilled the pen with Organics Studio "Mark Twain - Halley's Comet Blue." Despite the name, it's more of a dusty dark purple, but I like it a lot. It kind of reminds me R&K Scabiosa. The nib-ink combination seems to work well...goes on smooth and wet, but dries very quickly.

Safari running the 1.1mm nib ran out of Aurora Black this morning, refilled with Nooder's Black. When writing on Apica Premium, the Noodlers black actually shades...surprised me. I anticipated a bold black, but it turning out weaker than the Aurora on this paper. A quick wet-finger smear test clearly shows the slight blue of the Aurora and Nood's is nothing but black. Both write nice though.

Pilot Prera with Noodler's BBB

Hey Beginish. You should get a kick out of this. When I joined the forum, maybe 3 or 4 months ago, I came across this thread. I didn't notice that you are a mod, but I did see that your username is Beginish. When I read the name of your thread. "THE CONVERTER IS EMPTY" I felt bad for you. I thought, awe, this poor guy has just gotten into fountain pens and doesn't know what to do when a converter runs dry. Now, I know that you weren't asking for help, and I feel like the dumby. It's still funny, though.

Hey Beginish. You should get a kick out of this. When I joined the forum, maybe 3 or 4 months ago, I came across this thread. I didn't notice that you are a mod, but I did see that your username is Beginish. When I read the name of your thread. "THE CONVERTER IS EMPTY" I felt bad for you. I thought, awe, this poor guy has just gotten into fountain pens and doesn't know what to do when a converter runs dry. Now, I know that you weren't asking for help, and I feel like the dumby. It's still funny, though.
lol that is indeed funny

Refilled Pilot Varsity with Waterman Blue Black, wrote beautifuly and had awesomee shading, but sudenly stopped writting. Checked everything but it writtes only with a pressure, somehow I probably dammaged it.
So now I'm back to Parker Vector. Refiled its catridge with Vivapen Blue ink. It's ink made in Slovenia, I paid 1 dollar for 30ml. Writtes ok, nice royal blue color, a bit light. Even some shading is there. Can't beat value, but I need to get some better pen. And every local books and office store I ask for FPs they look at me like I'm asking for a heroin.

My Bexley Owner's Club 2009 LE ran out of Noodler's Five O'Clock Shadow last night. Just flushed it and refilled with Noodler's Pecan. This Bexley is rapidly becoming my favorite pen. The size, the gorgeous Ebonite body, the butter-smooth 18K nib are all perfection!

proxy.php

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Inked up two new Jinhao X750s with Iroshizuku yama-guri. Talk about casting pearls before swine!:lol:

I know it's not a converter, but I have my first empty fountain pens. I have written my Pilot 78G with a Blue/Black cartridge dry. I have a couple converters to put in it, but I think I'll rotate this green one out and bring in a black one and see if it writes any different. It shouldn't, but this green one was used and has been banged around a bit. Maybe a new 78G will write a bit better. I'll also be trying some new Diamine ink samples out with it and maybe some Noodlers 5:00 Shadow.

This morning I filled a Lamy 2000 with Akkerman iron gall ink. Great ink in a wet writer like the Lamy (fine nib).

My X750 ran dry in the middle of a journal entry. I thought it would be a perfect time to switch to one of the samples I have (thanks emt88!), but realized i'd have a two-tone journal entry.

So I just re-inked with Lamy black as was previously in it.

I have a new pen and some new samples arriving tomorrow, I'll re-ink with something else then :)

Emptied my Parker Vector, cleaned and stored. Found some cheap Schneider Easy and sticked in a Pelikan Royal Blue catridge. Reffiled with Vivapen blue. Nice ink.

reloaded Lamy Safari / 1.1 stub with 54th Mass overtop the dregs of some Noods Black that was in there. Pretty wet writer at this point.

Tough week this week. Ran three pens dry. Must not forget little nalgene resupply bottle... :(

Prera with Kingfisher Blue
Nib Creaper with MB Irish Green
Konrad with Red Widow

Ran the first two dry on Thursday and today was all red until I ran it dry, too...

Had to finish the day with some Pilot rollerball laying around the client's office.

Lamy 2000 ran out of Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo. Don't know yet what I'm going to refill it with. Maybe Sailor Jentle Blue.

Top Bottom