What's new

Pocket Gun Suggestions

Are you an author or perhaps a cop that you feel you have a right to question others and make snide remarks about your feelings about others decisions?
If I offended, please accept my apology. I don't recall having made a snide comment, but if one was taken as such, then again I apologize. I was interested in learning why people in this thread carry concealed weapons. No more than that.

I've taken the thread into a sidebar that was not the original intent of the discussion, so I'll leave it there.

Thank you to those of you who have offered substantive answers. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
No apology is necessary from my perspective. I do not recall you making any snide comments either. I am unable to tell from your profile, but I surmised from the nature and form of your questions that you may reside outside of the United States?

I cannot speak for others, but often I think those of us who choose to carry a concealed weapon are so used to being the objects of scorn from various fronts that we become quite cynical and suspicious whenever anyone asks questions, always thinking the worst and assuming those questions are being asked with an ulterior motive.

I have no reason to be ashamed of my decision to protect and defend myself and my family, and I welcome the opportunity to explain my position and rationale for doing so and to educate others.

the police cannot protect you.sorry but its a fact.they can only clean up after the fact.god made man;Sam Colt made men equal.

You said it! (Although most of us were probably thinking it!) :001_smile
Yes. I imagine so. What I meant by the statement, "In some respects it's like another country", is that there are pockets of LA that are like another country (depending of course on where one was raised). Viewed from elsewhere in the USA, I'm sure Los Angeles as a whole seems like another country. It's a diverse city.

Please remember I stated in my first post that I'm a gun owner (S&W .357).

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If people have an issue with firearms or right to carry, I suggest they find another forum to post in.

If people post ungentlemanly, offensive or rude comments in reply to a member instead of reporting it to the Mod Team, you can expect this thread to be closed, and your access to this forum removed.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As the problem has now been removed from the Shooting Sports and Firearms forum, there's no reason to keep the thread closed.
Please feel free to carry on in a civil manner.

I've been very impressed with my wife's Ruger LCP, 380. She put a crimson trace laser on it which makes it incredibly easy to use. I'd carry it myself if she hadn't put a pink Hogue grip on the thing!

I bet it does the trick. I've found the clip more or less useless on my holster, so you may want to make sure it comes off. If I were to carry IWB, I'd buy another White Hat holster. That's not going to happen though. I'll just carry my XDs if I'm going to go IWB that day.

I got it yesterday, and played around with it some. I tried it with the clip, and, you're right, it rides way too low. I can't get a good purchase on the grip. So I removed the clip, and tried it in my pocket. Worked great, I did a couple of fast draws (unloaded, of course), and the holster stayed put. The jeans I was wearing yesterday have shallow pockets, and it still worked very well. Like you, though, if I can carry IWB, my XDS is always coming with me. The TCP is strictly a pocket gun.

Interesting thread. My 2 cents? I've carried a variety of weapons of varying sizes in a concealed manner, but for a small warm weather gun, I like my Springy XDM Compact in 9mm. Since I'm big but slim, I can put it in my IWB right behind my belt buckle. Cover it with a t-shirt hanging outside the belt. At 13+1 rounds of 147 Gold Dot, it's enough to lay down quite a bit of firepower, and being subsonic, it's relatively quiet.

Last edited by a moderator:
For summer carry casual I will pocket carry a Smith and Wesson bodyguard .380
For dress occasion carry I will pocket carry a Seecamp .32

Any other time I'll either have a Glock G27 or Smith and Wesson Shield in .40 OWB, lately I've leaned more towards the Shield. It's a lot less weight hanging on my waist.

I've been wanting to find a S&W 340PD Airweight (scantium frame with ti cylinder) in .357 mag , my dad pocket carries one and I swear that it is lighter than one of my loaded 10mm 1911 magazines.

A super lightweight .357 Mag... how fun is that to shoot?

Well, with real .357 mag ammo in it...not very. I think he runs it with .38 +P I think it weighs something like 11.3 ounces.
I had some rounds from Double Tap or Buffalo Bore (forgot which one) that I was shooting in my 686 and handed him some. Well it lit up the whole lane , and he had a scared look in his eye... he then handed it to me and I shot one thru it. Unloaded it and said I don't think we should be shooting that load in this ! It felt like taking an aluminum bat and swinging and hitting a steel pole with it.. not fun.
If I had one I would probably send it out to the S&W performance shop to have some work done on it, like some barrel porting.

Last edited:
The only pocket handgun I have is the S&W 642 revolver. About an hour ago my I was carrying my fifteen month old son as I usually do when we go walking before sunset. I heard some screaming across the street as I look at that direction I see a pit bull charging us crossing the street. Its owners were chasing and calling him but couldn't cross the street due to oncoming cars. I stood still and reached into my pocket as the dog circled us. All of this took less than three seconds. I was so relieved that I was carrying. The dog began to walk away towards its owners across the street as a guy walking his dog saw all of this yet continued walking towards us. Guess what? The pit bull charged the other dog and they started fighting until the pit bull's owners made it across the street and pulled off the pit bull. Did I mention I was grateful that I had my S&W with me?

Top Bottom