What's new

Soaps, talk to me, what should I start with?

I am a bowl lathering, tub cream shaver. Have yet to try hard soaps. Want to try them and start some face lathering also. What should I look for and begging with? :001_huh:

I face lather both tub and tube creams and hard soaps...

Mike's Naturals and Petal Pushers Fancies (my new favorite) I believe, and someone correct me if I am wrong) that PPF is Vegan, while Mike's is tallow.

Now personally that doesn't matter to me, but that may to you so you have the option.

There are tons of great soaps. Catie's Bubbles, Maggard's, Tabac, Razorock, Synergy, Mike's and Cella to name a few. The Razorock argan oil soaps are probably my overall favorites but it's a close race.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
For face lathering soaps I'd consider a couple of quality sticks (La Toja, Palmolive, Valobra or Lea just to name a few) and a couple of quality pucks in either hard and soft consistency (here the list is much longer but Valobra, Mwf, Cella, RazoRock Tallow and Argan Oil family, Maggards and Catie's Bubbles definitely get my seal of approval).

I got two of the sampler packs from Cold River Soap Works. I've only tried two so far, but I am impressed with how super slick they are. Most all of the artisan soap makers have samples of their wares. Try googling "artisan shave soap" and you will be rewarded with a plethora of hits. I'm going to try some of Mama Bear soaps next. They have a line based on popular men's fragrances.

If you've never used a hard soap best to start out with a croap (it's neither a true cream or a hard soap, somewhere in between). These are by far the easiest products to work with. Plenty of choices already listed.
If you've already tried some of those and are looking for a puck; VDH luxury, D R Harris and Haslinger are some great products.
But the ultimate face latherer's friend is the shave stick, of which Speick and Valobra are the better ones I have tried.

One other thing, I see a lot of summer vs winter use. Is there a difference in using cream in the winter or is this just due to when it gets cold the creams harden up?

One other thing, I see a lot of summer vs winter use. Is there a difference in using cream in the winter or is this just due to when it gets cold the creams harden up?

These preferences are predominantly based on seasonal scent preference, or a component in a soap, like lanolin, which may be more protective to some in the colder months. No hard and fast rules. You can use any soap year round if you prefer.

speick shaving stick is the easy choice. A it is speicktember or something, and B. it is awesome.

I've tried most of the soaps named for what it is worth, and this is not an uninformed suggestion.

Another favorite that is easily available is Art of Shaving.

Most of the other shaving soaps mentioned work, but I don't like them as much.

Ok, out of the Dr. Harris line....
i like TOBS sandalwood scents, old time stuff like clubman, the old barber shop smells.

what do you recommend smell wise from them?

Ok, out of the Dr. Harris line....
i like TOBS sandalwood scents, old time stuff like clubman, the old barber shop smells.

what do you recommend smell wise from them?

D.R. Harris Arlington is a light and fresh scent. I like it a lot for spring/summer. It's a classic.

For an autumn/winter day, D.R. Harris Marlborough is pleasant. It's a more spicy, smoky scent (I think I smell cedar in there)...

Hope this helps!

D.R. Harris Arlington is a light and fresh scent. I like it a lot for spring/summer. It's a classic.

For an autumn/winter day, D.R. Harris Marlborough is pleasant. It's a more spicy, smoky scent (I think I smell cedar in there)...

Hope this helps!

Yes, yes it did...

Top Bottom