What's new

Gold dollar confusion

A razor is a piece of heat treated steel ground into a razor shaped object.

Its not that difficult. Some of the fine craftsman who do custom razors ($300-500) around here heat treat their blades in rather simple devices in their backyards.

A factory in China is more than capable of stamping out, grinding and heat treating hunks of steel that we call razors. It is not rocket science.

Mostly what you pay for in the high-zoot fancy razors is workmanship and aesthetics. Oh, and a Name, you gotta pay top dollar for a Name brand razor.

The impression at that other forum is that there's alot if hate for the GDs, but if you actually read the threads (if you can find them!), you'll see that 95% of the guys who actually have used a GD really like them.

Im biased, as I'm a GD huckster and part time charlatan. But be that as it may, I don't care if guys buy a GD from me, Buca, or straight from China themselves. I make my mods as a creative outlet, I have been proclaiming GDs for 4-5 years now (back when they were originally known as Double Arrows).

Honing them can be tricky, but OH MYGOODNESS! It's not brain surgery! You simply have to grind down the parts that have too much metal, and then get an appropriate hone and sharpen your $4 piece of heat treated steel. If you screw it up it doesn't matter. And if you are sucessful you saved yourself $100 instead of buying the dreaded and perennially boring Dovo Best 5/8 roundpoint from SRD. I think I may puke if I ever see another accursed Dovo 5/8 roundpoint.

MMMMMRRRBLUUUURFFF!!!!

Dagnabbit, just talking about it may me hurl my dinner.

Anyhow, if paying $150 for a ....for a....*uuurp*...Dovo roundpoint that was ground by some poor slob wearing liederhosen in Germany makes you feel better about yourself than paying $4 for a 13/16" roundpoint ground by some poor slob in communist blue work overalls in China, then by all means, bust out that credit card and get spending.

The views expressed in this post are the sole opinion of the poster, and in no way reflect the views of the B&B staff, moderators, board of directors, head honchos, and or henchmen.

YMMV

Legion

Staff member
A razor is a piece of heat treated steel ground into a razor shaped object.

Its not that difficult. Some of the fine craftsman who do custom razors ($300-500) around here heat treat their blades in rather simple devices in their backyards.

A factory in China is more than capable of stamping out, grinding and heat treating hunks of steel that we call razors. It is not rocket science.

Mostly what you pay for in the high-zoot fancy razors is workmanship and aesthetics. Oh, and a Name, you gotta pay top dollar for a Name brand razor.

The impression at that other forum is that there's alot if hate for the GDs, but if you actually read the threads (if you can find them!), you'll see that 95% of the guys who actually have used a GD really like them.

Im biased, as I'm a GD huckster and part time charlatan. But be that as it may, I don't care if guys buy a GD from me, Buca, or straight from China themselves. I make my mods as a creative outlet, I have been proclaiming GDs for 4-5 years now (back when they were originally known as Double Arrows).

Honing them can be tricky, but OH MYGOODNESS! It's not brain surgery! You simply have to grind down the parts that have too much metal, and then get an appropriate hone and sharpen your $4 piece of heat treated steel. If you screw it up it doesn't matter. And if you are sucessful you saved yourself $100 instead of buying the dreaded and perennially boring Dovo Best 5/8 roundpoint from SRD. I think I may puke if I ever see another accursed Dovo 5/8 roundpoint.

MMMMMRRRBLUUUURFFF!!!!

Dagnabbit, just talking about it may me hurl my dinner.

Anyhow, if paying $150 for a ....for a....*uuurp*...Dovo roundpoint that was ground by some poor slob wearing liederhosen in Germany makes you feel better about yourself than paying $4 for a 13/16" roundpoint ground by some poor slob in communist blue work overalls in China, then by all means, bust out that credit card and get spending.

The views expressed in this post are the sole opinion of the poster, and in no way reflect the views of the B&B staff, moderators, board of directors, head honchos, and or henchmen.

YMMV

Actually, all that reflects my experience as well. But I am only one henchman.

Jackass. :lol:

Last edited:
I have a Gold Dollar and for a long long time it was the sharpest razor i owned thanks to Alf (Doc) and his Jnat prowess. That razor is one of my favourites to shave with, i own many razors and some worth 100 times the price of a GD but i always seem to go for the GD over the others. that being said i am pretty partial to my George Butler near wedge, now that is a smooth razor to shave with.

Seraphim, I think I owe you as new dinner:biggrin1:
Everything you guys makes sense. It is also clear that there is a lot of passion involved.
I think all of this makes it so hard for new guys. This whole straight world is so overwhelming, the learning curve to just buy a razor feels like a uphill battle.

Thanks to a £3 GD and £14 worth of lapping film, i've entered into the world of straight razor shaving!,sure they are a bit rustic but with a bit of research on here and a couple of hours of honing i'm enjoying some great shaves.!
Slightly off topic: where did you procure lapping film in the EU?

where is a reliable site to purchase stock GD's from? I have tried Aliexpress with no luck someone mentioned buyincoin, but i was not able to find them on the site.

Hense the confusion. What makes it junk? Ugly, okay that is a guage what else is it to make it junk?

Gold Dollar razors are in the low end as far as scales and craftsmanship go but the steel isn't too bad. There is s place for quality and there is a place for junk. Imatabor, if you're looking for a daily shaver and you have a solid idea about what you want in a razor then, yes, invest in a quality razor that meets your needs. If, however, you are a new SR user, or you want to learn to hone or you would like to mod the razor, then by all means spend a few bucks to start you on that road.

I've seen some wonderful craftsman that use common tools and I've seen mediocre craftsman where the fortunes they spent on tools is completely wasted.

Quality never costs... it pays.

Besides, life is too short to shave with an ugly piece of Chinese junk.

Ugly is opinion. And if a person can get just as many good shaves out of a razor that costs $150 less, where is this "quality payout"?

Hense the confusion. What makes it junk? Ugly, okay that is a guage what else is it to make it junk?

What makes them junk?
Poor quality plastic scales, poorly polished finish, not honed (a bevel has not even been established), poorly finished metal work, poor design (stabilizers will interfere with honing if not honed carefully) packaged in an oily cardboard box. And to some people because they cost less than $10.

What some people including some of the hobbyists on this site do is: grind down the stabilizers, grind down the tang so the spine is thicker, reshape the blade, adjust the bevel angle by grinding down the spine thickness, polish the blade, replace the scales, set the bevel and hone the razor. This is not an all inclusive list and not everybody does all of the steps. Now everything that I listed that I thought would make one a piece of junk is fixed. So what do you have now? The steel is decent quality and it is hardened well. So why would this not be a quality razor? Does it have to have a name brand? Do you have to pay over a certain price point for it to be quality? (you could probably convince a hobbyist to take enough money to put it over that arbitrary quality price point)
Not everything I listed has to be fixed, I believe that you could probably hone a Gold Dollar with no modifications. Removing the stabilizer makes things easier, but probably not absolutely necessary. I would not recommend buying an unmodified Gold Dollar as your first razor when you would have no idea what a shave ready razor looks like or feels like. It would be an exercise in frustration. Starting with one that has been honed by an experienced honer would be fine.
What most on the site would tell you would be to try one for yourself and make your own opinion. I have successfully turned 2 Gold Dollars into fully functional razors, but I only have 4 no name vintage blades to compare then to.

I have honed and shave with an un modified Gold Dollar. And as much as it pains me to say it, it performs better than some of my l vintage razors. It took extra time to establish the bevel, but after that it has been no more work to maintain and use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom