What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

oh...and just to secure my loyalty to this exclusive brotherhood....here's a pic of my newest OC (and yes the Parker was the newest OC yesterday)....my 50th b-day presents, the new R41 and my Semogue SOC boar with cherry handle!!...the R41 will wait until Sat...while I continue to break in the Parker and get started with the SOC.....ahhhh OC life is treating me well!!

View attachment 431982

proxy.php

Hi,

My Grandfather's 102 with the thinner top cap says 'Nov 15 04' in the handle just above the ball.

It took me a while to figure out just what it was he had given the lack of serial numbers on the 3 pc units.

Stan
Razor Models made after November 1904 will have "PAT. NOV. 15.04" on the band, raazors produced prior to November of 1904 will have "PAT. APL'D FOR" on the band near the bottom knob area.............

You sure you have a NEW, you may a New Improved....
Old Type razors made after August 2, 1921 have no serial numbers on the cap guard.The cap and guard designation for these is The # 102 A model, The handle should be labeled: Pat.Jan. 13, 1920 / Other Pats. Pending .

I thought the New Improved still had the two "pins" to hold the blade in place, like the old type? Mine has the one long ridge.

Razor Models made after November 1904 will have "PAT. NOV. 15.04" on the band, raazors produced prior to November of 1904 will have "PAT. APL'D FOR" on the band near the bottom knob area.............

Hi,

Mine is so used all that can be seen with the naked eye is 'Nov 15 04'. Even under 10x magnification that is all I can see. It took a microscope with polarized light to reveal the 'Pat' and the periods in between. 5x mag is as low as the scope goes, which is more than enough. It is the ability to change the reflectivity of the surface with the polarized light and objective filters that pulled the missing markings out of the depths of time. :)

So, it is as you say: Pat. Nov. 15.04

Stan

As part of my process of switching to using only OC razors, I swapped my RR TTO for a Gillette Goodwill with a Bali handle as my travel razor. Boy, am I glad I did. Got a BBS with 2 passes on the face and 3 on the neck this AM using a new Blue Lab. Zero irritation or blood. I'm trying to figure out why anybody uses a safety bar razor. I guess it's either 1) they haven't tried a vintage Gillette OC yet or 2) it's just a YMMV thing.

As part of my process of switching to using only OC razors, I swapped my RR TTO for a Gillette Goodwill with a Bali handle as my travel razor. Boy, am I glad I did. Got a BBS with 2 passes on the face and 3 on the neck this AM using a new Blue Lab. Zero irritation or blood. I'm trying to figure out why anybody uses a safety bar razor. I guess it's either 1) they haven't tried a vintage Gillette OC yet or 2) it's just a YMMV thing.

I'd say the former. Or..... They have a few safety bars you just can't give up. I.e. a slant, FB, slim, long handled black beauty... But that's just me. However, I always seem to drift back to my beloved FATIP (happy Stu? 😎) my adjustables seem be more eye candy now...

Hi,

I started shaving at age 15 in 1976 and used the Tech Dad handed me. In 1979, my Mom's dad passed on, and Grandma handed me his 102 Old Type. My Dad said not to use that until I was a lot older, as it would tear my face up. I tried it once and, man, it did. Even with him coaching me about not pressing any at all, etc., I decided it was not for me.

By the time I was in my late 20's my whiskers became tougher. But, the Old Type was still too harsh. I switched to using a Red Tip from an uncle, using the Tech for a second pass. In my early 30's, I figured out to to two passes with the Red Tip, WTG and ATG, then a third pass with the Tech XTG. I also found that I could use Grandpa's Old Type if I skipped a couple days of shaving.

By my late 30's, I had shelved the Red Tip for a NEW SC. Then, a NEW LC. This was before B&B, of course, and it was actually my old barber that told me about how the NEWs were much better than the Old Type. By now, I could use the Old Type if I skipped at least a day. Finding NEWs was easy: any junk shop had plenty. :)

Now, in my early 50's, I could use the Old Type without skipping a day, but for only two days in a row or it still irritates the heck out of my face. I have been using slants for the past half year, and like the NEWs they are good for every day use. They also do not leave much behind for that Tech to work with. Most days, I accept the DFS from the Fasan Double Slant OC and be happy. Then, the Long Open Comb March showed up...

During March, I hit on the idea of using Grandpa's Old Type for that XTG over my rough spots, which are about a third of a pass. Man! that does it! Gets rid of the small amount of stubble I can feel in one direction that the Slant misses. Because it is used so little, no irritation! Sweet! Except for the poor old Tech, my shaving buddy since 1976. Oh, well, I always used it by itself in the travel kit. It still has a job.

Anyway, it isn't just that YMMV by person, it is also that YMMV as time marches on. What was great once, is now poor, and what was poor is now great..... ;)

Stan

Tried my old this morning again and burned myself again :( I guess I still have lots more learning to do. Had about 3 days of growth and it are it up pretty quick but I think I got cocky after my WTG passes on my cheeks. So now I feel it on my neck and jaw line pretty good. Great learning razor that's for sure.

I just received a 1930s generation Gillette NEW Long this morning, with the Gillette Tech-type handle. Its in pretty good shape, and if it works well for me, I'll have it replated this summer. I'm anxious to take it for a cruise tonight!

David

Hello all,
I thought for my first post I would see if I may join the Open Comb Brotherhood. I gave my eighty year old open comb a shine today. I love this razor so it might go out for bright nickel plating soon. Here is a glamour shot from this mornings shave.

I just had my second shave with my Gillette NEW long comb and I realized that this is IMO, a mild razor. It is less aggressive than my Cadet, my Joris and even my Parker 24c. It's still a very nice shaving tool but quite mild I would say.
Does anyone else find this to be true?

Last edited:
I managed open comb March- The OLD is tougher than most, but still gave a good shave. The angle is different & took some getting used to, but I managed, although the new & new improved were better.

Hello all,
I thought for my first post I would see if I may join the Open Comb Brotherhood. I gave my eighty year old open comb a shine today. I love this razor so it might go out for bright nickel plating soon. Here is a glamour shot from this mornings shave.

Tuco, view post #18200 !

I shaved with my newly acquired Gillette NEW LC tonight. It is a really great razor. Its fairly mild, but the mildness is deceiving. This thing mowed down my 36 hour beard in two passes. Following the first WTG pass, the stubble was about what I normally have after the second (XTG) pass. I looked at the clock and realized Vikings was coming on soon, so I needed to finish up more quickly than usual. I lathered up for the second pass, and shaved ATG. I had only one (usual) spot where I needed to touch up. I was even able to start a diagonal ATG and work it into a straight ATG buffing on my mustache! That's quite a feat for me, and the first time I've gotten it completely smooth without at least some amount of burn after. Two passes and got a BBS! I finished up with Pinaud Clubman, which went on with no burn. I'm in love with Gillette NEW!

David

Top Bottom