What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Thank you to all that answered on how long it took to get your technique down. I'm going to be having my third shave with my FaTip Grande and Black blade later on today.

I might just stick with the FaTip for the month of April, and simply try different blades until I find the one that works best for me to master. I know that later on, I'd prefer to use either Black or Feather blades with it since they give me the best shave in my vintage Gillette razors. I'll miss not using my Fatboys, Aristocrats, and all the others that I have, but I really do want to master the FaTip Grande. :)
IMO, the FaTip is one of the more challenging razors for getting your technique dialed in, so you will need to be patient.

Good morning Gentlemen. I just acquired a 30's New Ball handle. Have not used it yet, but Roderick said I should come over and check you guys out.
Here's a pic of my New Ball. Aw jeez, my inner 14yr old couldn't resist.
$DSCF7001.jpg$DSCF7002.jpg

IMO, the FaTip is one of the more challenging razors for getting your technique dialed in, so you will need to be patient.

I have been patient, and my patience was rewarded! No weepers, save for just below my lip when working to cleanup my goatee. Also, I had my second shave, not my third yesterday. Stupid typo... Using SwiftKey, it likes to predict words and phrases, taking initiative. Great keyboard, if you're not tired. ;-)

I love my new FaTip Grande! :-D

Good morning Gentlemen. I just acquired a 30's New Ball handle. Have not used it yet, but Roderick said I should come over and check you guys out.
Here's a pic of my New Ball. Aw jeez, my inner 14yr old couldn't resist.
View attachment 431537View attachment 431538
Add "BOTOC" to your signature and come back and post and you will get your goats and onion!:scared:. How does it shave? I have a Gillette New Travel set with the standard bar handle and it is my favorite razor.

FWIW, I have the tapatalk app on Apple products and still tend not to use it.

I know. I can't post or hardly see pics. When I go to I.e. I can't type in the forum. It's a real bummer. You think I'd spend less time on it at work, but alas...

Add "BOTOC" to your signature and come back and post and you will get your goats and onion!:scared:. How does it shave? I have a Gillette New Travel set with the standard bar handle and it is my favorite razor.

I've not used it yet, but I'll tell you all about it later.

How come it tells me my signature is too long, when other guys have ones way longer than me?

Last edited:
Just received a Cadet TTO open comb along with some Rapiras. This isn't my first OC but it is my first non-vintage one (ignore my crappy percolator in the background):

$IMAG0148.jpg

I've not used it yet, but I'll tell you all about it later.

How come it tells me my signature is too long, when other guys have ones way longer than me?

Hi,

Might the guys with longer sig lines sport Contributor Badges? There is a sliding scale for length as well as other options as the level goes up. I have a Copper level and get 200 characters and three lines. Bronze gets 300, plus an extra 50 for BB Link code. Etcetera.

I wanted to have that line about Alligators, and it would not fit, so I opted to contribute. Not only for that, but because I do glean a lot of interesting information here. The extra sig space is a nice bonus. :)

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/payments.php

Is the link in case you are interested.

Stan

That's one that has been on the list as well.....how does it look and feel?

People have raised concerns about the fit and finish on the Cadets, but on this razor it's excellent easily on par with what you would see on a Parker or Merkur. The painted brass handle is very grippy, and it's TTO mechanism is neat; you hold onto the metal bulbs near the top and the whole handle turns. Here's a picture of the inside and the amount of blade that smiles back at you:

$IMAG0152.jpg$IMAG0150.jpg

Hi,

Might the guys with longer sig lines sport Contributor Badges? There is a sliding scale for length as well as other options as the level goes up. I have a Copper level and get 200 characters and three lines. Bronze gets 300, plus an extra 50 for BB Link code. Etcetera.

I wanted to have that line about Alligators, and it would not fit, so I opted to contribute. Not only for that, but because I do glean a lot of interesting information here. The extra sig space is a nice bonus. :)

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/payments.php

Is the link in case you are interested.

Stan

Gotcha. That makes sense.

How does it shave?
This was only my second time DE shaving, and I gotta be honest. I like my SR better. I don't walk away with blood on my shirt. lol
Obviously it's a technique thing. Other than that, I loved it. A nice clean smooth shaver. Just don't like the dots.

Wow talk about exposed blade!. Oh and thanks suggy, now have a black eye form the FATIP.

I just finished a shave with it and weirdly even with all that exposed blade it doesn't feel harsh or aggressive, you can definitely feel the blade, but it doesn't feel like a blade on a stick.

Best part of all its LOUD, I never even touched my face during the whole shave and managed to get BBS from just audio feedback. This thing is a keeper, and along with these Rapira Swedish SuperSteels that I tried with it, is going to quickly move up my shortlist of favored razor and blade combos.

This Canadian goodwill followed me home. Not sure what the baseplate was originally from....not quite a old type, not quite a new improved...

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1396393992327.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1396393992327.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 98
Top Bottom