What's new

B.O.S.S. Brotherhood of Slant Shavers

Just received this lovely little bakelite beauty from across the pond. Came with a nice little soap container. An Astra is loaded and waiting for tomorrow... Looks like fun! No clue, who made it. Any ideas???

$bk slant 2.jpg$bk slant 3.jpg$bk slant 1.jpg

Last edited:
First shave with the new slant, not bad. Not bad at all. It didn't seem nearly as efficient as my other slants, but fairly smooth and still efficient. Yes, it's a first shave, but I first impressions are a lot :wink2: She sang like a siren on the first pass. Lots of audible feedback. I used an Astra and I think the blade angle will have to be different due to what looks like a lot of blade exposure. I may swap it out for a Gillette Black or a Shark and see how it does. Once I get the angle down, I think she'll be a real worker. End result 3 pass BBS, no runs, no drips, no errors....

Hi,

The thing about that razor is the cap and baseplate are both quite thick. So, you have to draw a line from where the base and cap both meet your face and see how much blade extends past that line to see the true blade exposure. In other words, what you see of the blade sticking out looks to be greater exposure than there actually is. ;)

Stan

Third shave w the new slant. Much better. Think I'm getting the feel of it. Want to try a different blade in her soon

I'm in just had my second shave with my new merkur 39c with a personna lab, I have never had a better shave!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 194
Ran across this last week. Aequator. Had only seen this razor one other time a couple of years ago. The company is weakly listed with one line in Waits with no description of their products. Assume this manufacturer was doing business in Solingen, Germany and made straights as well as offering a DE slant with the generic Solingen slant head. A very sturdy razor at 67 grams and made out of cast brass instead of Zamak. Because of this the razor can be re-plated with no concern for how it will come out but it is beautiful in the polished un-plated brass form. The first two pictures show the razor as it was received and the last three after a nice bath in dishwasher detergent and hot water followed by a polish with Flitz. I don't think I will rush off to have it re-plated and polish it every once in awhile to maintain the shine. Have not shaved with it yet but assume it will be the normal sensational Solingen slant shave characteristic of this head. Might even be better because of the weight of the razor. It looks gold plated it shined up so nice.
View attachment 427356View attachment 427357View attachment 427358View attachment 427359View attachment 427360

Hi,

Have you shaved with this one yet?

BTW, that would look really at home next to my 102 Old Type which has lost most of its silver plating from all the years my Grandfather used it.... ;)

Stan

Yes Stan I have shaved with it. Fantastic Solingen slant head shave. Heavy razor so the head just glides on my face. Used an Astra, my blade of choice usually. Smooth as anything I have ever shaved with, anything. Blade fits perfectly and cap closes securely on the baseplate. Nice patina on the brass. My favorite slant at the moment. It is similar to Ibsen, Liese and the other large 2 piece German slants.

Ok I have a question about the Lutz that I keep seeing on eBay. I believe its a generic soligen head, yes? I have a Hoffritz and a 37g. If I snagged one, how would it differ from those?

Before two days ago, the only DE razor I'd ever used was the 33c. That changed when I dropped a 7 o'clock yellow in my brand new 39c and went at it.

Ho-lee-smokes!!! I love everything about the shave I got from that razor! :thumbup: My life changed for the better about a year ago when I got into traditional wet-shaving, and now it has happened again. My only concerns are that I just last night learned of the QC & customer service issues that appear to be rampant with Merkur (and I also noticed a tiny pit in the plating near one of the side holes on the razor's top piece) :crying::ohmy:. I'm now strongly considering abandoning the 39c for an Ikon slant (provided I can find one), assuming Ikon does not have the same QC and customer service issues that Merkur has. I'm also a little bummed to be giving up the weight of the 39c --- is there a way to make an Ikon slant hefty? Or is it pretty hefty already?

Ok I have a question about the Lutz that I keep seeing on eBay. I believe its a generic soligen head, yes? I have a Hoffritz and a 37g. If I snagged one, how would it differ from those?

From what I read it is a Solingen head. Lighter razor, well balanced, one side more aggressive than the other, the head is more slim than the Hoffritz, and combined with the light weight the Lutz is a nimble shaver. I find a tad more aggressive in general than the Hoffritz but not overly so. I tend to use the more aggressive side on my cheeks, less aggressive side on my neck/moustache. I love mine.

Hello gents! Recently acquired this beauty. With the exception of some blistering on the cap, the razor is in excellent, NOS condition. Very light plastic handle, but really great, aggressive shaver. Anyone else grab one of these?

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

I mulled it over, but I found it such a buzzkill that it wasn't actually a flip top Apollo in the box. Hope your plating doesn't misbehave. Apollos like to corrode sometimes. Very pretty razor.

is there a way to make an Ikon slant hefty? Or is it pretty hefty already?

There is no need for extra heft on the iKon - it is made from stainless steel my man. I think its a little shorter than the 39C, but I'm pretty sure the weight is almost the same, +/- 5 grams.

EDIT TO ADD: as the iKon is a 3-piece design, you can put the head on a different handle if you do feel you want to add some more weight, unlike the Merkur slants.

There is no need for extra heft on the iKon - it is made from stainless steel my man. I think its a little shorter than the 39C, but I'm pretty sure the weight is almost the same, +/- 5 grams.

EDIT TO ADD: as the iKon is a 3-piece design, you can put the head on a different handle if you do feel you want to add some more weight, unlike the Merkur slants.

That's my only knock on the 37c, I would love to have a longer handle. Maybe i'll come across a 39c in the B/S/T some day and have to have it.

Good to know. Thanks, PGHChris!

I will say, the past 13 hours have been a horrifying study for me in the bad customer service of both Merkur and Ikon, and the bad quality of Merkur; still have yet to determine if Ikon's quality is good --- thought it was, but now I'm not so sure.

At the end of the day, does Merkur or Ikon make the better product? Which company is more likely to replace a defective piece? What should be my visual inspection checklist when buying either product? Sorry for the newb. questions. Please feel free to direct me elsewhere if this is the wrong thread or sub-forum in which to ask these questions. Thanks. :)

Merkur seems schizophrenic towards their customers with issues. The owner of the other company seems to behave not very intelligently at times....

Top Bottom