What's new

Coticule myth busted!

People have tried my coticules edge, and I have had nothing but positive feedback. Gary Haywood himself has shaved with one of my edges, and as he put it "It was a lovely shave".

This morning I shaved with an edge of my LPB. It was fantastic, and I could tell little to no difference from one of Doc's Jnat edges (which I shaved with on Monday morning).

The deal is this. Each coticule is different. The difference I have found is speed, feel (soft or hard) and what the finishing properties are. For an example, the La Petite Blanche layer is traditionally very fast in it's cutting properties. My 60x200 is not so fast. It is more of a medium speed on slurry, and is med to slow on water. Therefore this particular slice of LPB is out of the norm.

The one thing that makes the coticule unique, and I think more frustrating, are the garnets. This is the primary abrasive in the slurry, and they do not breakdown like a Jnat slurry, thus the dilution steps. When finishing keep the stone good and hydrated. Even if it means a spray from the bottle every 5 laps.

Your stone, whatever it my be, is capable of creating a wonderful shaving edge. All one has to do is dedicate the to learn each stone's nuances. Trust me it is worth every ounce of time you will spend with it.

Long time no see Jon , yes I have shaved with your coti edge and it was very nice , just speaking to Jim not long a go he said you put a lovely edge on his razor with la drassante infact he said one of the best he shaved with..

GaryGary

Long time no see Jon , yes I have shaved with your coti edge and it was very nice , just speaking to Jim not long a go he said you put a lovely edge on his razor with la drassante infact he said one of the best he shaved with..

GaryGary

Agreed. Raithskar's edges are second to none. He has honed a few razors for me and they all shave excellent....

The one thing that makes the coticule unique, and I think more frustrating, are the garnets. This is the primary abrasive in the slurry, and they do not breakdown like a Jnat slurry, thus the dilution steps. When finishing keep the stone good and hydrated. Even if it means a spray from the bottle every 5 laps.

Your stone, whatever it my be, is capable of creating a wonderful shaving edge. All one has to do is dedicate the to learn each stone's nuances. Trust me it is worth every ounce of time you will spend with it.

This

Well said.

I shaved last night with a Coti edge, 24 hr later and I barely had a 5-o'clock shadow to shave off tonight.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
People have tried my coticules edge, and I have had nothing but positive feedback. Gary Haywood himself has shaved with one of my edges, and as he put it "It was a lovely shave".

This morning I shaved with an edge of my LPB. It was fantastic, and I could tell little to no difference from one of Doc's Jnat edges (which I shaved with on Monday morning).

The deal is this. Each coticule is different. The difference I have found is speed, feel (soft or hard) and what the finishing properties are. For an example, the La Petite Blanche layer is traditionally very fast in it's cutting properties. My 60x200 is not so fast. It is more of a medium speed on slurry, and is med to slow on water. Therefore this particular slice of LPB is out of the norm.

My hat is off, Jon. :a14:

Top Bottom