What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

This is the US DD which dates it 1907-1911 (the company relocated manufacture to Sheffield in 1911) so would that make Durham Duplexiu historically the first disposable straight?

I'm not anywhere near an authority, but as far as disposable blade straights go, I think the DD is probably the first. There are definitely replaceable blade frame backs that date to earlier, so the concept wasn't original to Durham as far as changing out a blade in a straight style razor.

Revisited the Parker SR1 today.
When I first expressed an interest in shavettes, a very generous member here PIF'd me this across the Atlantic, and it convinced me!
After spending a long long long time grinding a 6/8 microtome into a 5/8 near-wedge and then shave testing it this morning only to find that it's still got a long long long way to go before it's ready, I reached for the Parker and got real pleasure from the lack of maintenance it requires!
I also revisited my Body Shop synthetic brush, and really enjoyed at appreciated it for the first time.
I used a new German Wilkinson blade and this confirmed for me that they are not a blade I like.
In UK, IPs are as easily available from Tesco or Morrisons, are equally as sharp but are cheaper to buy and, for me, much smoother. YMMV :)

The small blade exposure on the Parker, as well as the fact that I've been using carbon steel straights, made me a bit careless and just as I was thinking "Hey,this is mild!" I cut myself on the chin, which is the first true shaving cut for months.
I was reminded by this that shavettes demand good technique but was rewarded with a great smooth close result. My girlfriend even commented on the speed and efficiency of the shave :)

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1383994677262.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1383994677262.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 248
In the spirit of revisiting I dug out my Kai Captain today.
Prior to the start of Movember I was using a Boker straight honed by RickBoone and getting great shaves, but with shaping my 'tache I felt DE would be easier.

Today I thought about how the Kai (mild pink blade, is shorter than the Boker so gave it a whirl.

I was rewarded with a very comfortable and easy shave. These blades feel almost like I'm wiping the whiskers away. Think this razor will get some more use between now and December the 1st. 😄

Ordered my first shavette today. A Universal from a hobby vendor on here. I have a couple straights thatget occasional use but great one of my DE most days. Hope this adds another great option to my morning shave.
Will my polsilver si blades work ok?

If that's what you prefer in your DE, they may be what you'll prefer in the shavette. But you may also find that they don't work as well in the shavette. You just have to try.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I have recently seen a couple of interesting barber razors.

Coolcut R5
$IMG_5843-2.jpg
I think the wood scales are interesting.

Hawk
$$T2eC16J,!yoFId-3MOL2BSTcI2ZP-g~~60_12.JPG
Similar to the Universal, this razor uses a full DE blade.

I am not affiliated with either razor, nor have I tried either. I just thought they were interesting.

Ordered my first shavette today. A Universal from a hobby vendor on here. I have a couple straights thatget occasional use but great one of my DE most days. Hope this adds another great option to my morning shave.
Will my polsilver si blades work ok?
For me, the most important characteristic in a blade for shavettes is smoothness - as long as the blade shaves very smoothly it will do a great job.
So Polsilvers will definitely fit the bill!
Polsilvers are also very sharp and in shavettes I find this to be less of a consideration - they will punish bad technique and reward care with a fantastic shave even with the milder blades.

I have recently seen a couple of interesting barber razors.

Coolcut R5
View attachment 385366
I think the wood scales are interesting.

Hawk
View attachment 385367
Similar to the Universal, this razor uses a full DE blade.

I am not affiliated with either razor, nor have I tried either. I just thought they were interesting.

I'm really interested to hear how the Hawk performs.
In spite of their superficial similarities, the DE-blade shavettes behave very differently due to blade exposure, weight and handle geometry.
The Parker SR1 is quite mild and has a great comfortable grip whereas the Coolcut 4 was more aggressive but twisted uncomfortably in my hand due to its extra weight and angular scales.
My favourite so far is the Turkish Sedef - aggressive but very comfortable and manouverable :thumbup:

Went with my Parker + slid a Captain Titan Mild Protouch in there.
It's not designed for such a long blade, but it snugs in there really nicely.
And it gave me a very smooth shave

$20131116_162444.jpg

Had my first shave with my new Universal. Polsilver SI blade, Mikes babershop, B&B 2013 brush. Finished with GFT Skinfood.

I say to all those nervous about shavettes, Fear Not. Easiest new razor transition I have ever had. I am sure the fact that I am a daily DE user and occasional straight razor user helped. Got a 75 % bbs 25% DFS on the first try. Thanks to doc226 for the lightning fast shipping.

anyone notice that the original Durham Duplex blades are hollow ground?

Hey! You're right.
I think it mentions this in the DD advertising, and close inspection reveals a curve in the bevel.
The modern Dog Dresser, Ever Ready and carpet blades all seem to be flat ground, but I'm not sure I notice a difference - every shave I've had with the DD has been super smooth and I guess that with the blade guard ( like the Schick injectors) it's perfect head geometry that does the magic :)
Those DD blades are awesome.
Couldn't get a good shot of the bevel on my phone, but here's a picture anyway:

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1384928677369.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1384928677369.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 239
Top Bottom