What's new

"Thinking" of a Straight Razor. Need advise

Been doing the DE thing for a few years now. Ready to take the plunge. I saw a razor in this video that I think I would like. It shows at the 26 minute mark. Anyone know what razor this is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccjDPinzlZ8

I would like a razor that I can use in just one hand and one that doesn't fold. I have sharpening stones for my kitchen knives (thanks Dave) :) ... Are those the same stones to hone a straight?

Would there be any issues with starting with this type of SE?

Thanks everyone

Can't watch the video on my pad, but I'll assume it's a kamisori.

Knife hones tend to end were we start for razors. An extra fine knife stone will generally be in the 1000-1200 grit/12 micron range . We bevel set our edges at that range and most shave off of an 8k-20k grit/1 to .5 or .3 micron edge. Go read some shave journals and honing topics if you want a place to start.

There's nothing wrong with trying to learn with a kamisori I guess, but I leave that bit to those who do use them.

my two cents...
My wife got me interested in straights (long story), I started doing some reseach, found B&B, and eventually decided on a very cheap dispose-a-blade razor. I figured, if I didn't like it, or if I hurt myself too much, I wouldn't be out much dinero.
Anyway, I started out slow, only shaving one cheek till I got the hang, then the other cheek, then other parts of my face. Once I had my first complete shave, I was HOOKED. Now I have ebay razors, new brand-name razors, antique store razors, and custom made razors. My fav is a $5.00 razor that was customized by a wonderful fellow on this site.
Recently I acquired a custom kamisori style dispose-a-blade (thanks ANeal) that was made for a contest here. The handle is awesome wood, and it shaves wonderful.
Hope this helps,
Bil

View attachment 385222

Last edited:
Top Bottom