What's new

SOTD "Drama" Theme Week - 4 - 10 Nov 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
9-11-2013​

Water and soap :: Myrsol, antesol :: Lijun shaving, silvertip, 24mm :: Barbiere di Figaro, Esclusivo :: Hoffritz, feather :: Kinesia artic :: Unrefined shea butter​

proxy.php

Saturday Evening

Prep:
Shower / Simple Skincare Smoothing Facial Scrub
Razor: Tradere Solid Bar
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Rooney Heritage Stubby 2 Two Band Super Badger
Soap: L.A. Shave Soap Woody Lavender
Aftershave: Myrsol Agua Balsamica / Crown Shaving Co. Soothing AS Lotion (Balm)
Cologne of the Evening: L'Occitan Pour Homme by L'Occitane

Ben

My SOTD: November 9th, 2013

Pre: Hot shower with a combination of Nivea and Anthony Logistics glycolic cleanser
Cream: Taylor of old Bond street sandalwood
Brush: Vulfix old original #18
Razor: 1977 Gillette Super adjustable aka black beauty (6)
Blade: Derby Extra (1)
Lather Type: Face
Beard Type: Chinstrap
Moustache: Crumb catcher
Post Shave: Cold water and Shavex alum block
Additional: Clinique 3.5 toner and Anthony Logistics ingrown hair treatment
After Shave: Taylor of old Bond street sandalwood gel
$001.jpg$002.jpg

Closing out the week (for me).
This Saturday evening, shower then (trusty) Musgo Glyce face wash.
Panna Crema Labdano tallowy soap with the restored re knotted Rubberset M200
First pass with the Feather SS was easy.
Second pass and cleanup with the Fatboy and Silver Blue (#4)
No irritation. And nice finish with cool washcloth soaked with some AV Ice Blue.

and just for nostalgia fans...both the Fatboy and Polaroid Model 80A were made at about same year.
Coincidentally, both in Massachusetts.
Razor originally priced at $4 and Polaroid at $78.
Today, razor worth more than $80 and Polaroid worth less than $4.
as Billy Stern would have said...Time marches on!

Hope this qualifies as "Drama" the blade I tried was very "Dramaitic"!

Ok I will quote directly from a post by the very generous Packtray so you all have a good idea what blade I am talking about:

"I have quite a few vintage NOS Department of Defense military-issue DE blades, National Stock Number 8530-559-8359."

"The military used to issue blades and razors up until the 70s or so. These blades were made by ASMR, makers of Personna blades."

So I got a few mostly for my collection, but did promise to use one and report back. Here is the blade out of the package. I don't believe it is "stainless" blade, I just think the wrappers were in abundance at the Mfg, as they were wrapped with the print inside and thus a non-descript white wrapper on the exterior.

View attachment 383507

This was my set up:

Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: 32 Canadian Fat Handle
Blade: 70's or earlier Gov. Issue
Brush: 24mm TGN Silvertip Custom
Croap: Al's Shaving Boheme
AS: Floid Vigoroso

View attachment 383506

Please keep in mind this is IMHO and YMMV.

So out of the shower and I prep the blade a little, 15-20 jean strops and a quick dunk in Alcohol. Next I whip up the Al's going a little lighter on the water to get a thicker (safer in my mind) lather. Next loaded the blade into my 32, I chose the 32 for this because I know it well and wanted something that I could really give good feedback on the blade with.

So I put it up to my cheek fully expecting some pull as I had about 40hrs of growth, and began to feel the tug. First swipe, hmmmmm, quite a bit of tug. So finish off that cheek with an uncomfortable amount of resistance. So I spin her around thinking maybe that side of the blade is bad. Next cheek, well this side is a little sharper but still uncomfortable. So I put it down and grab my R89 with a Sputnik blade that already has 4 shaves on it. As I bring the 89 to my neck I thought "you can do this", so I put it back down and grabbed the 32 to finish the first pass. Man was it rough, only one small weeper though. I am telling you this blade makes a Derby feel like a Feather! This thing was scary dull to me although YMMV. So needless to say pass two and three went to the old Sputnik which at this point felt like a new BIC or 7 O'clock Black. Ended up with a good irritation free shave and finished up with some alum and Floid.

I feel sorry for anyone who had to use these in the past, quite possibly the reason so many of our Military switched to carts ASAP!
I truly want to thank Packtray for these blades and a opportunity to try them out it was an experiance! And for any of you who do get "blessed" with these beauties, please use with caution!

Saturday 11-09-13. MUSIC: Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool (1957).

proxy.php

Soap from Aleppo - Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger 25X53 - Feather all stainless - Israeli Personna #4 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving cream Tabula Rasa Koriander & Bergamotte - Alum block - Thayers Original Astringent - ASB Speick - ASL Opaline.

Last edited by a moderator:
11-10-13

Cobra Classic
Feather Professional
Myrsol Emulsion
Morris & Forndran 2XL
Mike's Hungarian Lavender
Myrsol Antesol
Unrefined Shea Butter

proxy.php

Good morning friends! :001_smile

PREP: Proraso Preshave Cream
BRUSH: 30mm Simpson CHUBBY 2 Best Badger
SOAP/CREAM: Arabian Spice Shaving Soap, Chelsea's Soap Garden - Natural Handmade Soap
RAZOR: 7/8" J.A. Henckels Friodur, stainless steel, square point, w/Worked back and White Ebony scales
STROP: Kanayama Cordovan #60000
SHAVE: 2 passes, WTG/XTG
AS: Geo. F. Trumper West Indian Extract of Limes Skin Food
RESULT: Great shave

proxy.php

Have a nice week,
Béla

I tried out the same vintage blade as Hinano_Paul today, courtesy of Packtray (thank you again good sir!)... I think my experience may have been a little better; first shave definitely tugged, but got a lot smoother after that. Ended up feeling and sounding similar to a 7o'clock yellow blade to me...
TOBS avocado
custom duck-call handle w/ TGN best
Tech w/ vintage DoD blade
Thayers unscented alcohol-free witch hazel
Grey Flannel AS

Sunday

Horn bowl ¤ Semogue 2015 HD ¤ 5/8" Gotta 120
Geo. F. Trumper Eucris Shaving Soap ¤ Proraso ASB ¤ Geo. F. Trumper Eucris EDT

Have a nice and relaxing Sunday, Gentlemen :001_smile

proxy.php

Sunday evening:

Razor: Gillette Tech
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Soap: Cella
Brush: Omega
A/S: Bayrum
ASB: Gaia Organic ASB

Outstanding shave!

Prep: cool face wash with African Black Soap Scrub, Proraso Green Crema pre Barba
Soap: Tabac
Brush: HIS Synthetic
Razor: MR10
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock yellow (2)
AS: Krampert's Finest Frostbite
EDT: Tabac Original

Nice, cool DFS today with no irritation or weepers. Great lather with Tabac and my HiS brush almost yogurt, maybe a little bit more water next time. Great skin feeling courtesy of Krampert's. My face still feels cold thirty minutes later, and I'm loving it.

Off to church... Have a great Sunday!
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384088789.410191.jpg

Sunday

Prep: Hot Shower-Stirling Ozark Mountain Soap
Soap: Stirling Glacial
Razor: ‘59 Gillette Super Speed Red Flare Tip
Blade: Voskhod (4)
Brush: Omega 6192 Pure Badger
Aftershave: Krampert’s Frostbite

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angle for my beard a bit)

4[SUP]th[/SUP] shave with the Voskhod in the Red Tip. I used the new Stirling Glacial again. The 4[SUP]th[/SUP] shave with the Voskhod in the Red Tip was still excellent! The Voskhod the Red Tip pair up very well! A smooth, close shave: nick & burn free. I finished the menthol blast with Krampert’s Frostbite. WOW!

Very cool shave……..

Bob

proxy.php

Ach Brito ~ Oak Moss Soap
Kneipp ~ Almond Oil
Tabac ~ Shaving Soap
Dr. Dittmar ~ 23mm Silvertip
Face Lathering
Shavette Vanta Mezza Lama
perma sharp ~ (3)
First Pass WTG / Second Pass ATG
Tabac ~ Aftershave Lotion