What's new

Brush advice - Thater?

I was thinking of treating myself to a nice brush but i'm a little bit overwelmed by the options. $100 is about as high as I'd like to go (feel a little nutty even going that high!) I'm a bowl latherer and currently use a Colonel X2L, a 1305 and a TGN Finest - I really like all 3. I was thinking of going with the Thater 4292/3 with a horn handle. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a $100 version when i noticed a 2-band 4292/3 for an additional $45. Would i be making a mistake getting the 100 version, always wondering 'what if' about he 2-band? Can anyone explain what would be the difference?

Also, is the faux horn from Thater quality or more like plastic?

it won't be real horn for that price..here is a description of it : Imitation Horn Handles are constructed of a high quality synthetic resin

the 2 band will have more backbone. I had a 3 band Thater and it was ultra soft, like a pillow. some thing they are too soft, but I did not find that.

My next Thater will be a 2 band Bulb. Thater makes great brush, well made and pure luxury.

Thater 2-band is pretty amazing, plenty soft, zero scritch, and basically all the qualities I enjoy about 3-band. That said, I've never had a Thater 3-band and want to acquire one at some point based on the great experiences.

If you enjoy a little bit of backbone, or find you go for shorter lofts on your badger, a 2-band is well worth it imo. If, on the other hand, you like a little more flop and splay, either get one of the higher lofted 2-bands or a 3-band.

My soft brushes lather hard soaps just as well as my stiff brushes. I think that whole thing has been blown way out of proportion.

The Thater 4125/2 Two Band Super Bulb has a knot of 26mm (mine is actually 27mm +.... I've been told by the vendor I bought mine from that Thaters tend to run a little large in knot size) and a loft of 54mm. The handle length is 48mm. I find it to be a great all around brush. Very soft tips, a nearly perfect uniformly shaped bulb knot, great backbone, great for hard soaps, creams, face lathering, bowl lathering. You name it, it is a brush that can be used for anything and has wonderfully soft tips and great flow through.

$DSCN6527.jpg$DSCN6529.jpg

Ben

The Thater 4125/2 Two Band Super Bulb has a knot of 26mm (mine is actually 27mm +.... I've been told by the vendor I bought mine from that Thaters tend to run a little large in knot size) and a loft of 54mm. The handle length is 48mm. I find it to be a great all around brush. Very soft tips, a nearly perfect uniformly shaped bulb knot, great backbone, great for hard soaps, creams, face lathering, bowl lathering. You name it, it is a brush that can be used for anything and has wonderfully soft tips and great flow through.

View attachment 362117

Ben

Beautiful brush! I must say that I am not comfortable buying a 54 mm loft brush. It seems too long for me. I really like 45-50 mm lofts. Anyone know what a 4125/1 3-band would be like?

View attachment 362117View attachment 362118

Ben

Nice, looks like a big fluffy pillow :drool:

The more I think about it, the more I'm getting convinced to shell out the extra $ for a 2-band. I'm really intrigued by the fan shape option on the 4292/3 as well...

$Screenshot-2.jpg

I think this could be the one...

I have a Thater 4292/6,2 band,fan,and it's one of the softest 2 bands out there.However I face lather, you may want to go with the bulb version if you're bowl or mug lathering.That's just my 50 cents I know some like the fan for bowl lathering creams.

you know what you want...anything else now, you'll always wonder.

It's a good looking brush and fits your specs. If you can afford the extra $$, I say go for it.

Fan will likely feel bigger on your face then a bulb. I'd opt for the BULB in the 2 band Thater, but that's just me.

Nice, looks like a big fluffy pillow :drool:

The more I think about it, the more I'm getting convinced to shell out the extra $ for a 2-band. I'm really intrigued by the fan shape option on the 4292/3 as well...

View attachment 362257

I think this could be the one...

That brush is my desert island brush. It's perfect in every way for me. I used it exclusively for a year and a half now and sold all of my other brushes. I finally just acquired a Chubby 1 to add back a little variety and I find that the 2 complement each other perfectly. I ordered the bulb 4292/3 and ended up with the fan by mistake but I am glad as I thouroughly enjoy facelathering it.

$1-20130820_231737.jpg

I recently took receipt of my first Thater as an anniversary gift from my wife. It is a 4125/0 2 band fan. I can't say enough good things about this brush. The tips are super soft, the brush has good backbone, but the best feature so far is the flow through. It builds lather easily but doesn't hog it. I absolutely love this brush. I'll try and throw a pic up in a minute.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
That brush is my desert island brush. It's perfect in every way for me. I used it exclusively for a year and a half now and sold all of my other brushes. I finally just acquired a Chubby 1 to add back a little variety and I find that the 2 complement each other perfectly. I ordered the bulb 4292/3 and ended up with the fan by mistake but I am glad as I thouroughly enjoy facelathering it.

View attachment 362272

Thank you for the first hand account of the exact brush I was interested in. Looks great in your picture. my last decision is whether to go with the 4292/3 or the 4292/4. Only a slight (1mm) difference in knot and loft size. But a whopping 6mm difference in handle height. I think additional handle length will be better for bowl lathering which works for me...

I recently took receipt of my first Thater as an anniversary gift from my wife. It is a 4125/0 2 band fan. I can't say enough good things about this brush.

Nice anniversary gift! Do you load this on a puck or face lather?

Top Bottom