What's new

Nuts and washers on razors?

OK, in my latest bout of insanity, I am back to thinking about getting a Tuckaway handle on a New short or long comb. My understanding is that the handle neck is slightly wider than the recessed are on the base plate.

Aside from the suggestion to drill it out a little (which would both change the baseplate/be irreversible and also would be a massive disaster as I struggle with anything more complicated than hanging pictures on a wall!), the other thing I was thinking of was to have a narrow washer/nut and have the wider handle neck press on that.

Has anyone done this? Would this work, or am I simply nuts? Would the nut/washer damage the handle or baseplate at all? I'm not sure if metal or rubber would work better (I suspect metal, as rubber would compress).

Is the handle neck waisted at the top on this type of handle? With my "New" handles the top is wider at the very top then reduces in diameter. By gently abrading the top surface with emery paper it is possible to reduce the diameter of the top so it fits into the recess.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
You won't have sufficient threads engaged from the cap into the handle and will likely strip one or the other (eventually).

Safest bet: spot face the head surface as suggested before. Or decrease the handle diameter where it mates by 1/16 of an inch which probably wouldn't be too pretty.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
First thing you do is try it on for size. I don't know how much variation there is between different handles and heads, but after reading your post, I tried putting my Tuckaway handle on my LC NEW head, and it fit that recess like a glove. You may have no problem whatsoever.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
First thing you do is try it on for size. I don't know how much variation there is between different handles and heads, but after reading your post, I tried putting my Tuckaway handle on my LC NEW head, and it fit that recess like a glove. You may have no problem whatsoever.

That can happen. Tucky handles (the flat end where they screw on) are about 0.40" diameter, the same as most common bar handles. All ball-end handles I've checked are closer to 0.33" and so is the opening in the bump down the bottom of the base plate. I'm assuming the base plate the OP has is the smaller from a ball-end razor. This may not apply across the board but the 8 or so I just measured were consistent.

See this pic again (there's another similar thread), common bar head left, ball-end head right. So Gillette made the opening about 70 thousandths of an inch larger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm - my baseplate for my long comb (and a pending short comb) are both bar handles, not ball ends. But the Toro Mastiff handle simply doesn't fit well and it makes a weird "cracking" noise which I think is the blade flexing abnormally.

Top Bottom