What's new

First Shave with Muhle R41

After switching blades, I'm not sure it was the Astra blade. I was so concerned with applying as little pressure as possible that I may not have applied enough. All the horror stories and videos were flashing through my mind at the time and my face is too pretty to have any gashes on it ;)

I can relate to the initial concerns here with the R41, but you will become one with the razor the more you use it. Feather blades seem to work best for me, but I also use Astra SPs and Gillette Silver Blues. The R41 takes a little getting used to but once you get it dialed in, man is it a great razor!

So, everyday I learn something during this shave. It has been said to me before on here about the angle being almost parallel to the floor and I thought I was as the results were pretty good. But the last few times it was really scrape'ish and uncomfortable with good results so I just didnt really question much about it. After re reading this thread, I really exaggerated it today and it was much more comfortable and still with good results after I changed the Feather blade. I just can never get past two shaves with Feathers. Very sharp, very expensive in comparison and dont last long. Kinda always been a deal breaker for me with Feather. I put in a 7 O'Clock Black today with good results. Still expensive in comparison with other blades but last a little longer. The R41 seamed to like this blade. I have some Polsilver Super Iridium on order to try as well. Id like to work my way down the blade cost line until I reach acceptable results with minimal expense. I mean, thats what this is all about right? Saving money over cartridges just to turn around and buy another brush or aftershave? And dont even get me started on creams and soap!

Last edited:
I eliminated the R41 from my razor rotation. The end result was always a great shave; but it was always a very stressful shave that took too long because of the required attention during the process. The R41 was the only razor that gave me a BBS shave with 2 WTG passes; it just wasn't fun to use. Just some friendly advice...forget ATG passes of any sort with the R41. Don't listen to the blow-hards that claim they can buff with this thing.

I eliminated the R41 from my razor rotation. The end result was always a great shave; but it was always a very stressful shave that took too long because of the required attention during the process. The R41 was the only razor that gave me a BBS shave with 2 WTG passes; it just wasn't fun to use. Just some friendly advice...forget ATG passes of any sort with the R41. Don't listen to the blow-hards that claim they can buff with this thing.

I buff with a straight, and ATG with the R41 was not a problem once I got the right blade in it and got the hang of the technique.

Hi There... My personal experience with the R41 was AWESOME!
I was a little afraid of it at the start, but I actually used the Derby blade which came with it (I had been using them for the last 6 months) and gave it a go.
I got a BBS right off the bat!... Beginners luck? Not quite sure. I had no issues with irritation or razor burn, nicks or cuts.
The only advise I can give you is go slow with no pressure at all!..

I also own the Merkur 39C (Sledgehammer) and got a BBS with that first shot as well using an Astra Platinum Blade. Although it was quite a difference experience, it took me a while to work out how to align it with my face, after that it was smooth sailing! I highly recommend both R41 and the 39C. Both different but both great razors! I do particularly like the Muhle Finish a lot better! But thats just me!

I actually do blade buffing on my chin with my R41 (2013 model). It's the only way I have found that I can get a close shave on my chin. If I do a good job and I'm lucky, no irritation or any problems. I do have to watch my angle carefully and use as little pressure as possible, and with a slick lather. It's not a BBS, but it is pretty good in my opinion.

I don't shave anything ATG except for a tiny bit under my nose if I can't get close enough doing XTG. Very, very carefully and slowly!

I got mine out of the drawer today for the first time in 6 weeks,I kept the angle steep and it gave a perfect shave in 2 and a bit passes.I used a polsilver blade in it and got no nicks or cuts.

I am going to say something that I am not proud of, but it seemed that it solved all the problems for me.
For some reason, when I was building the lather, I was really in love with the slickness I get from a bit of a drier lather, and I was absolutely sure that this is the way it was meant to be. However, after describing the feeling I get from some blades, someone noticed that I describe the feeling way too detailed, when in reality no one should feel that huge differences unless something was not really right. He suggested to prepare the beard more, which obviously was not the case, but it opened my eyes to seek around for something that is not right.
And guess what was the problem... the lather. Ever since I added a bit more water, and I started doing this if needed even directly to my face after I lathered it up, I've been getting the best shaves of my life, consistent, and extremely comfortable. I can use more blade brands now, atg is not painful at all with many many blades, while before discovering this I was having select few that I was able to get an almost perfectly comfortable shave with. However, it was never as comfortable as it is now.
The point? I think that you should check a bit the lather or the preparation, as from what I can see, you are getting too much damage from it.
And yes, feather and GSB don't work for me ATG. Astra is the middle road for me, giving me decent shaves consistently. Try Personna/Lord/Perma Sharp/Gillette 7 O'clocks for smooth ATG passes.
Good Luck

I've found the same thing this week. I love doing Super Lathers, but guess I was always making them too dry and they would dry out on my skin before I could finish the complete pass on my face. This week, by accident I started off with more water in the bowl than normal and the lathers have been much slicker / shaves more comfortable! Imagine that! It works for me - YMMV!

My fourth/finishing pass is most usually accomplished using the 2011 R41. Finishing with it is pretty much effortless since I have been using it continuously for the last year or so. I never use it for an ATG pass on the neck though. For that, I often use a milder DE razor or an SE.

Last edited:
I had my first shave with my 2013 R41 this morning (actually it’s an R101 – same head as the R41, but different handle) & I was interested to see how it compared to my recently acquired FaTip Picolo, which has been my daily razor of choice for the last 10 days. I inserted a new Astra SP blade into the R41 & lathered with Red Proraso cream.

I found that the shaving experience was somewhat mixed. The WTG pass was very tuggy & uncomfortable, though the end result was pretty much DFS after that first pass. My subsequent ATG pass was much smoother, so I think I may need to try some different blades & find one that is man enough to smoothly mow down the extra bristles encountered in the first pass. One thing I did find, was that the R41 did not seem as precise as a true open comb (I would define the R41 as a “hybrid”) & I felt less in control of what the razor was doing.

After the two passes, there was no need for any touching up, which has been my recent experience with the FaTip too. Overall the R41 had not shaved quite as close as the FaTip, particularly on my upper lip. However, the R41had done a slightly better job on my lower neck, which is the only area I haven’t perfected with the FaTip. I would say that the R41 shaves about as close as my Tradere OC, but a certain amount of touching up is required to get the same result with the Tradere. The shave angle for the R41 was also very similar to the one I use with the Tradere.

When I applied the alum block, there was more stinging than I am used to, but after I showered & applied some Proraso green splash, there was no residual soreness, or redness. Some 6 hours later, my face still feels comfortable, with no sign of any burn.

In summary, I will be sticking with my FaTip as my main razor for now, but I will definitely be going back to the R41 in the future, to try different blades & possibly, a more weighty handle. Overall I look upon my first shave with the R41, with it’s fearsome reputation, as being some sort of rite of passage & I am pleased that I got through without any blood loss! Though having said that, in its tamed 2013 form, the R41, at least in my opinion, is potentially a far less dangerous piece of metal than my FatTip. As ever, YMMV of course.

I love the R41! I have gotten the best shaves of my life since I started using it. Because of its violent nature, I really has to dial down on technique and so last night my technique carried over to my 37C.

Another nearly flawless shave. I plan on buying a custom handle for it so my question to you guys is:

Weber Bulldog?
Sabi t2?

So, I've been using the R41 every day now. I got some Iridium blades in the mail yesterday and together with some Mitchell's soap and a new bore brush that Im still breaking in, I'm getting the best shaves of my life! Before I would get a little irritation on my against the grain pass on my neck but no longer. It's all about the angle! A much flatter angle is all that was needed for me. Still takes three passes ((wtg, xtg, atg) but no irritation.

Top Bottom