What's new

Proraso cream is working great for me. What soap would have the same effect?

The title says it all. Proraso cream has given me great shaves but my soaps (Tabac, Cella) always seem to leave me with a bit of irritation and not as smooth shave.
However I feel that soaps are somehow more "classy" than creams and I'd like to find one that gives me as good shaves as Proraso. Suggestions?

Thanks.

As with most things, people will have different opinions and experiences. I'm a huge proraso fan. Always have been since before I used a DE razor. Try some of the TOBS creams. Great scents and lather similarly to Proraso. Don't worry so much about what others may think is "classy." Use the products that give you a good shave.

Well I didn't say "others", I said I think soaps are classy:) For some reason I just like the idea of using a soap for shaving. Cream in my mind is a step away from soap towards canned foams.

I did get good shaves with canned foam as well...

No need to look at alternative brands, i get wonderful shaves from proraso soaps (using the green and the red ones).

They may come in cheap plastic bowls but the result using them is far from cheap.

Well I didn't say "others", I said I think soaps are classy:) For some reason I just like the idea of using a soap for shaving. Cream in my mind is a step away from soap towards canned foams.

I did get good shaves with canned foam as well...

Sorry Dyyd. Shouldn't have drawn that conclusion. Was just saying to use what works. I like both soaps and creams. Some work better than others. I find creams easier to lather and easier to work with. Last night, for example, I used DRH Windsor soap in a hurry and didn't use enough product. Ended up with a less than fantastic shave. I do agree, however, that there is something special about dialing in a soap just right.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'd consider testing some Artisan soaps like RazoRock or Mikes. Great lather, great shave and very reasonable cost.

Puck. The scent isn't that important to me, I have yet to find a soap or a cream that had off-putting smell.

In that case i guess its more a question of type of soap?

Since you have used proraso something tallow would be good for change/testing? I suggest tabac, arko or perhaps palmolive.

The title says it all. Proraso cream has given me great shaves but my soaps (Tabac, Cella) always seem to leave me with a bit of irritation and not as smooth shave.
However I feel that soaps are somehow more "classy" than creams and I'd like to find one that gives me as good shaves as Proraso. Suggestions?

Thanks.

Proraso makes soap, too.

You named my 2nd 3rd and 4th favorite. My number 1 is Mitchels Wool Fat. To me soap is for comfort, I do not put much weight on scent.

Top Bottom