What's new

Bowl lather time.

Question: Approximately how much time, on average, do you think you spend whipping up lather until you feel it is shave ready?

30-45 seconds. I'm usually running out of time before I head off to work so I tend to cut corners where ever I can. :p

With Bigelow (proraso) and a stainless steel bowl, I used to whip up a good lather in approx. one minute, but now that I use TOBS and a porcelain bowl, it takes me a bit longer.

A minute or two. I started counting but got bored.

:lol:

You and me both, Chadao.

Honestly, I almost exclusively face lather. But occasionally I use a mug/bowl to mix up a concoction. I thought to time it once, but completely spaced out--really what's the point? I even get bored mixing in the bowl and almost always finish lathering on my face. Now if I mix up a concoction I typically just do it for a few seconds in the bowl and finish by face lathering.

45 seconds to 1.5 minutes, depending. MWF takes longer (upward 2 minutes) while Tabac is quicker (30 to 45 seconds)

I would say I go less than a minute on face lathering. I never get any skin irritation (knock on wood) so I really don't concern myself with getting a pillowey dense lather. As long as it has good coverage and is slick is all I'm concerned about.

About two minutes, but I'm a slow adder of water. I can never remember which soap or cream takes more or less, so I just do a few drops at a time.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
About one minute, but I usually use Castle Forbes. It depends on the cream/soap, water temperature (it takes me quite a while longer with cold water) and water softness. The indented pattern on the bottom of my scuttle probably speeds the process somewhat.

It also depends on how quickly you decide to add more water.

Softness of the water affects the lather produced. Really, the time taken to produce a good lather is therefore relative. I live in a hard water area and it takes a good 1.5 - 2 minutes to produce a lather I am happy with. It is also quicker using the scuttle or any undulating surfaces in a lather bowl so again that is another factor. It is hard to give a difinitive answer on this one.

:lol:

You and me both, Chadao.

Honestly, I almost exclusively face lather. But occasionally I use a mug/bowl to mix up a concoction. I thought to time it once, but completely spaced out--really what's the point? I even get bored mixing in the bowl and almost always finish lathering on my face. Now if I mix up a concoction I typically just do it for a few seconds in the bowl and finish by face lathering.

+1 , yup, face lathering is taking me over...

I face lather but I don't really know how long it takes whether I face lather or bowl lather. Less than a couple of minutes (probably a bit less) is all I can say. I don't relying on time to be beneficial since soaps and water can vary. The lather is done when it is done. Keep in mind that everyone's ideal lather isn't necessarily the same. Some are going for something that looks like whipped cream. I tend to go for something a bit more dense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom