What's new

To Alum or not to Alum

I alternate between Witchazel and Alum Bloc. I also have a Styptic Pencil / Gel for any mistakes which the Alum doesnt stop from weeping.
I usually apply Alum, leave to dry.. then wash off with cold water, then apply aftershave balm, then aftershave....
With the Witchazel I just let it air dry, then balm, then aftershave.

I used it for a month or so and then quit as I didn't really like the feeling it left, not to mention the nasty salty taste and odd sensation it left on my teeth if I accidentally got some on my lips...which was easy to do.
I found witch hazel is just as good, less precarious when you're in a hurry and better for my skin.

Last edited:
How long do you guys leave the alum on after a shave? I noticed the longer I let it dry before rinsing and applying AB, the longer it takes any redness to go away. Now, I'm talking the difference between initial redness going away in 30 mins vs. 1 hour or so. Although not that bad, long enough for you to shave and end up at your destination still with a bit of red areas one our face.

I rarely use it on my face, but always use it on my hands when I handle a razor and do skin stretching. It works wonders for this application and without it, I feel like I can't keep a good grip.

+1...^^^This is how I use my alum block. Great way to get a grip on the face when everything is so slick.

How long do you guys leave the alum on after a shave? I noticed the longer I let it dry before rinsing and applying AB, the longer it takes any redness to go away. Now, I'm talking the difference between initial redness going away in 30 mins vs. 1 hour or so. Although not that bad, long enough for you to shave and end up at your destination still with a bit of red areas one our face.

When I needed to use it regularly, I only left it on until it was "dry" (long enough to rinse the brush and strop the straight).

I did use it on a regular basis at first but stopped for these reasons (I do use my block on weepers/nics):

1) The feedback it provides is great but it burns and I found my finger tips can do the same.
2) It tastes terrible.

I only use it when I've experienced a bit of irritation or small weepers. I'm just six months into traditional wet shaving, and am constantly experimenting with new products and configurations, so I often get less than perfect shaves, a little irritation, a bit of burn, a weeper here and there -- that's when I apply the alum -- and boy, is it welcome. While it has an astringent brisk sting going on (only where there's irritation, otherwise you don't feel it at all), it helps calm and sooth irritation and redness and coagulate weepers. Anything more than a weeper, though, use styptic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom