What's new

Tried shaving without pre shave oil today.

I have a sample pack of pre-shave from T&H that I got in the cream/AS sample pack. Maybe I will give it a try.

Appreciate all of the great feedback guys. My next few shaves went much smoother as I went back to the pre-shave oil. I guess it just isn't for everyone.

I've used oil, hair conditioner and Noxema as a pre-shave prep. For me, I think it was more of a mental thing for a while thinking that it worked. After I quit doing it, I noticed absolutely no difference in my shaves. If there is a difference, it's negligible to the point of it not being worth the time, effort and having an extra product in the lineup.

I found that I was using way too much when I was using pre-shave oils. This lead to little hydration, and the razor becoming clogged too quick. +1 for the proper prep and technique works for me better than a pre-shave oil

I have a sample pack of pre-shave from T&H that I got in the cream/AS sample pack. Maybe I will give it a try.

Samples from The AOS store in Boca are what got me hooked. Although I believe the first sample I tried was a pre-shave gel, not oil...regardless, won't shave without the oil now. Great base to start the shave!

I have found that the type of oil makes a huge difference. I have decided not to use my New York shave oil anymore because it actually feels sticky on my skin instead of slick. However, T&H Shave oil is awesome, IMO.

I only use the pre-shave oil after the full hydration of the whiskers and skin. What it seems to do at that point is really a skin prep, holding moisture into the top layers more effectively, keeping the skin supple, which makes it more resistant to nicks and cuts from the blade. I don't consider it a whisker prep at all.

Same goes for me... full hydrating prep and face wash... them i rub oil into my face for 30-40 seconds and let it sit on my face for 2-3 minutes while I prepare the razor and whip up a nice lather; i notice a big difference. For me, the key was letting it sit on the face for 2-3 minutes.

Same goes for me... full hydrating prep and face wash... them i rub oil into my face for 30-40 seconds and let it sit on my face for 2-3 minutes while I prepare the razor and whip up a nice lather; i notice a big difference. For me, the key was letting it sit on the face for 2-3 minutes.

Interesting point and well put. I wasn't leaving the pre-shave oil on long enough until last week where I started noticing a HUGE difference if I gave it 2-3 minutes before lathering up. Definitely agree!

Going back and forth with using and giving up on PSO. Now I do, I think it helps for getting less irritation. May change my mind in a few weeks though...

I was a religious pre-shave oil user then I found pure Glycerine, and have never used pre-shave oil again. I usually use soaps and creams that provide enough glide, but I sometime still add a few drops of glycerine to the brush before I start making the lather and, boy, what a difference it makes. Feather blades and a FaTip are no longer a problem after adding Glycerine! I use pure vegetable Glycerine that shows "Safe for consumption" on the bottle. I can't remember where I get mine, but I bought it on Amazon, so it shouldn't be too hard to find. I put it into a small brown bottle with an eye dropper in it, and usually 2 to 3 drops is all that's needed.

Found it:

http://www.amazon.com/Glycerin-Vege...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Is the one I use...a quart for $14 delivered is an excellent deal for how much you get and how it takes to use up. I had a quart last about two years - Almost longer than the expiration.

+1 on using glycerine.

I would also like to say that face lathering for a 3-4 minutes for me has increased the quality of my shaves. When I started wet shaving, I would just flop lather on face and start shaving. Working lather into the face and prepping whiskers is a huge part of a quality wet shave.

I have been using Proraso pre-shave cream. I am a DE newbie so discount my comments here, but I notice more weepers when I don't use the pre-shave.

I am an avid preshave oil user and here are MY five benefits to using them.

- Closer shaves
- No matter the razor, no matter the blade, my shaves take one pass less to complete
- Better post shave face feeling
- A more luxerious shave experience
- Absolutely nick free shaves :thumbup:

+1

One of the best vendor-created pre-shave oils is Razorock's 888 Eucalyptus and Tea Tree Shave Gel. Great performance at a price that will not break the bank.

I apply before the first pass and then again on the last pass if i am blade buffing.

I just had my first shave with oil last night. It's way too soon to make a definitive decision on it, but I think it helped. Got out of the shower, rubbed five drops of Razorock's lime shave oil into my face and then let it sit while I lathered. It was also my first time using distilled water. I basically just had to point my 1305 at the Cella and it exploded with lather.

Fantastic shave overall. I was using a fresh Feather in my R41. I always get at least one or two tiny weepers when using a new Feather in this razor, but this shave was very comfortable and blood-free. I cannot say for sure which item in my routine was responsible, as I was trying a few new things. I will continue to use the oil as it smells very good and it certainly didn't harm my shave.

Okay, I have to say that I'm sold on preshave oil. I've used my Razorock lime shave oil a few times now, and it really seems to make a difference. This morning's shave was honestly one of the best shaves of my life. I let the oil sit in my two-day beard for a few minutes while I used my Semogue 1305 to whip up a perfect lather of Proraso blue cream. I did my usual three passes with my R41, loaded with a fresh Personna Lab. After the first three passes, I had a near-BBS shave without a single bit of irritation or blood. I was feeling pretty good and still had a bit of lather left, so I went for a fourth pass. Finished it off with a cold water rinse, a splash of Osage Rub, and some Razorock Problem Solver AS.

Achieved ultra-BBS without any irritation at all. The closest I've come to a "perfect" shave. I feel like the oil may give me a bit of a buffer for blade buffing without irritation, which helped me get such a stellar shave.

I also started out using a pre-shave oil and it helped in the beginning to protect my face from bad technique. I stopped using it a few weeks in and will never use it again. For me, it is time-consuming, messy and unnecessary. Ymmv.

I used AoS pre-shave oil in the past when I first started DE shaving. The real culprit was my technique; I was pressing way too hard with a Merkur Futur set on 5 with a Feather blade. I had to relearn my strokes since I had been shaving with cartridge razors before that. I haven't used pre-shave oil at all after I solidified my technique and no longer cut myself profusely while shaving.

I have been using a pre shave for about a year now and it helps me. 4th year with a d.e., first with p.s.o. I have used Cade, AOS, Jason Vitamin E Oil....and am now using straight jojoba...4 drops seems to do it as noted above. I apply it in the shower right before I get out without drying my face--it has made a noticeable difference. Out of these, the Cade is my favorite pre mixed product, but the jojoba does a nice job for far less $$. Next time ordering comes around, I think some Razorock will get a chance.

I normally use this and it works great. However, I just didn't feel like having that oily residue on my hands (only thing I don't like about the stuff). Anyway, maybe it was in my mind but I really noticed a difference in not using the oil. I even got a few nicks on my neck. I don't know, maybe it wasn't the oil, just me. Any thoughts. Do most gentlemen on here use pre-shave oil to prep their shave?
I really have no use for pre shave products. Use water, water, water.

Top Bottom