What's new

Muhle R41: Holy Cow!

I had my first shave with the 2013 this morning. When I touched it to my face my first thought was "Damn, is there a guard on this thing?" I actually checked it. The first couple of strokes were really, really rough and I was thinking this was not going to work out for me. Then I began experimenting on my blade angle and found the right groove. Things went much smoother after that. Three weepers on my chin but that was it. I only did a two pass shave instead of my normal three.

I did notice that I had the best shave so far on my neck. As a 53 year old my neck skin is looser in that area than when I was 23 and my other 89 head razors weren't really getting that area. The R41 took it down to the skin.

I think it just takes some patience in finding the right angle on this razor. For those that are more experienced shavers it might now take as much work as it did for me.

Last edited:
Any more I do a 2 pass WTG / ATG with the R41 and get BBS every time although I can get the same quality shave from my FaTip, I love aggressive OCs

3 days in and chalk me up as another R41 lover (2013 edition). I checked cap width and it was 20 mm (slightly larger than the head of a penny as well). Shaves closer than any of my other razors, no irritation, and today only a small scrape and 2 tiny nicks on my chin which I was playing around with almost-wild abandon (think it was pass #5 or so; my chin technique leaves much to be desired!). Trying a Feather tomorrow; first 3 were with a Polsilver Super Iridium which worked well. For the same number of passes, less irritating than my Muhle R89 and far less irritating than my Merkur 1904 OC. It shaves closer than my Merkur 39c Slant and I get to play with angling techniques that didn't really work with my Slant. The Slant does glide through pass #1 of my very thick stubble more easily, though. I will say that after seeing photos of the R41 2011 version, that thing looked dangerous! The 2013 version is, for me at least, quite friendly and not "dangerous" as far as I can tell.

I can't figure out why more guys aren't shouting from their rooftops about how great the new 2013 Muhle R41 is.

Here is a beautifully-made, relatively inexpensive razor that shaves closer than any razor I own. Other than my Cobra, I have never experienced a razor that shaves so close, but does so with essentially no irritation - even with a Feather blade. If you had bad experiences with the 2011 version as I did, you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

My standard shave is 3 passes plus a touch-up. With the R41, I can get a BBS shave in 2+ passes, which is another reason it's less irritating.

+1, amen! :thumbup:

I did notice that I had the best shave so far on my neck. As a 53 year old my neck skin is looser in that area than when I was 23 and my other 89 head razors weren't really getting that area. The R41 took it down to the skin.

I think it just takes some patience in finding the right angle on this razor. For those that are more experienced shavers it might now take as much work as it did for me.

+1

How do you guys know the head is different on the 2013 as compared to the 2011. This text is from the description WCS has for the R41:

"Muhle create a new head design in 2011. There is some rumor that the design changed in 2013, however, Muhle has confirmed this to be a rumor. The design that we carry is the latest version."

Just curious about this because I just ordered an R41 from Royal Shave and it references 2011 several times in it's description.

How do you guys know the head is different on the 2013 as compared to the 2011. This text is from the description WCS has for the R41:

"Muhle create a new head design in 2011. There is some rumor that the design changed in 2013, however, Muhle has confirmed this to be a rumor. The design that we carry is the latest version."

Just curious about this because I just ordered an R41 from Royal Shave and it references 2011 several times in it's description.
I wish the website would let me insert carriage returns. Anyway - there was a large thread on this. There are 2 versions as there are pictures of both on this website; the top cap of the 2011 version is 18.x mm and the top cap of the 2013 update is 20.2 mm. See Codfish's review of the 2013 model compared to the 2011 model. As to why both US websites reference the 2011 version only, I do not know. Connaught Shaving advertises the 2013 version, and based on my measurements of the top cap and picture comparison I believe it to be the 2013 version (20 mm top cap, slightly wider than a penny).

Ok, I guess I should have done a bit more research before ordering. It will be interesting to see which one shows up in the mail. I hope I get the 2013 version. I wonder if Muhle continued to make both versions or if they quit making the 2011 and never said anything to the vendors?

Last edited:
Ok, I guess I should have done a bit more research before ordering. It will be interesting to see which one shows up in the mail. I hope I get the 2013 version. I wonder if Muhle continued to make both versions or if they quit making the 2011 and never said anything to the vendors?

I ordered mine directly from the Mühle website shop and it was the 2013 that was delivered. I don't think they're making the 2011 anymore as it exposed too much blade. You can easily tell which one you have by the amount of blade exposure. If it looks "normal" is is only slightly exposed you likely have the 2013, but if the blade hang over the comb then it is likely the 2011. There are pics on another thread as mentioned above too that you can use for comparison.

Shave #4 and my R41 continues to be excellent. No real improvement with a Feather and maybe a little harsher; will try Astras next to see fi they are similar to the Iridiums. A really great razor - I am enjoying mine a ton.

Colin,

I think the only way you can be sure that you're getting a 2013 model is to order from Connaught.
Muhle's distributor is not currently making the R41 2013 version available to vendors in the U.S. The only reliable sources are in Europe. Connaught and Shaving.ie are two very good sources that I've dealt with. And their prices are excellent, too.

Muhle's distributor is not currently making the R41 2013 version available to vendors in the U.S.
What is up with Muhle's distributor?! It seems like it's substantially more expensive to order a much more limited range of Muhle products in the US. I suspect that I am not the only one who is frustrated and disappointed by how they do things (the distributor).

Shave #4 and my R41 continues to be excellent. No real improvement with a Feather and maybe a little harsher; will try Astras next to see fi they are similar to the Iridiums. A really great razor - I am enjoying mine a ton.

It really is amazing. I know the feeling your talking about. I found a feather blade to be the closest sharpest shave but not 100% necessary to achieve that in the R41 either. Astra SPs and Gillette Silver Blues work just as well and possibly a little smoother for me too. The ingenuity of this razor is second to none IMO. If I have longer than usual growth then I'll go with a feather blade to really keep it from any possible tugging whatsoever.

My R41 came in the mail today and I'm pretty sure it is the 2013. Just eyeballing it the blade exposure isn't any more or less than my other razors. I looked at the review codfish did and the blade I loaded does not look at all like the exposure on the 2011. I'll give it a go tonight and report but looks like Royal Shave is carrying the 2013.

My R41 came in the mail today and I'm pretty sure it is the 2013. Just eyeballing it the blade exposure isn't any more or less than my other razors. I looked at the review codfish did and the blade I loaded does not look at all like the exposure on the 2011. I'll give it a go tonight and report but looks like Royal Shave is carrying the 2013.

Check out the pictures posted in this thread using a penny to measure:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/353415-First-R41-Shave/page2

If the top doesn't fit then you definitely have the 2013. If it does, then very likely it's the 2011. However, from what I've read on the 2011 and having the 2013, YMMV but you can likely get great shaves out of both.

Last edited:
3 weeks of 2013 R41 (has it been that long?!) and my shaves continue to be excellent. Minimal nicking/razor burn which I attribute to my technique. Surprisingly forgiving even with Super Iridiums (sharper blades work better than Astras here for me). Just a really great razor.

Just got mine yesterday.... had 2 days growth..
Loaded it up with the included Derby blade, and lathered up with some TOBS Rose scented cream....
I did 3 passes WTG, XTG, ATG and got a BBS.... This was by far the Closest shave I have had with a DE razor!

Mind you I've been using Derby blades for the last 6 months and only started experimenting with different blades. The performance of this blade in the R41 was just amazing! I cannot recommend this razor enough!

I've also ordered a Merkur 39C (Slegehammer).... couldnt resist!

Top Bottom