What's new

What is a BBS, really?

I'm going to add to the mystique. I'm throwing into the mix the idea of a 2 pass BBS. Specifically when spoken of in conjunction with a type of razor or brand of blade. I personally believe that is one is truly getting a BBS in two passes (which is hard to believe) or even a DFS then it is more a result of their beard type than it is the tools.
For example, it is impossible for me to get even a good shave in two passes. To even get close I would have to shave north to south and then south to north. But! On my cheek hair grows west to east. On my neck it is angled in some areas and again west to east in others, and the opposite on the other side. So I require 3 passes minimum and this is even with my R41. And I'm sure I'm not alone in this as far as hair growth. So I can't see how a shave can be very close in two passes unless the hair is only growing in two directions. Unless when people check their shave they only feel in one direction. If I shaved in two directions I'd still have an unshaven third direction that would be rough. Not even a DFS. I never understand the 2 pass BBS.

For me the second pass is all about know the hair growth direction and not completely sticking to a true west to east pass throughout, especially in areas that will get closer east to west or even south to north. I think it's about adjusting during the second pass accordingly, to some extent.

For me the second pass is all about know the hair growth direction and not completely sticking to a true west to east pass throughout, especially in areas that will get closer east to west or even south to north. I think it's about adjusting during the second pass accordingly, to some extent.

I don't go pure N-S or S-N on any of my passes, more WTG and ATG based on my mystical beard pattern. I think that beard type is a significant factor. I've got a Greek beard and find that I can't get a DFS, much less BBS, in less that 3 passes + touch up which is essentially 4-5 passes in the squirrely areas around my chin. I have attempted many different techniques and find the most success for me going WTG and then straight to ATG a couple of times.

Some folks might get BBS with 2 passes, and I suspect there is something more going on here than just differences in technique.

I don't go pure N-S or S-N on any of my passes, more WTG and ATG based on my mystical beard pattern. I think that beard type is a significant factor. I've got a Greek beard and find that I can't get a DFS, much less BBS, in less that 3 passes + touch up which is essentially 4-5 passes in the squirrely areas around my chin. I have attempted many different techniques and find the most success for me going WTG and then straight to ATG a couple of times.

Some folks might get BBS with 2 passes, and I suspect there is something more going on here than just differences in technique.

You are so right, and I feel very similar myself. I started with WTG+XTG+CTG+ATG+ATG touchups. Now I am down to WTG+XTG+ATG+ very few touchups. However, I find that the XTG pass is only useful in the goatee area, the rest of my face I can go directly ATG. However, I am still trying to figure out what to try so that I reduce it down to WTG+ATG+ATG touchups, and curiously enough, is all down to adjusting the direction of the stroke and the angle you use with your razor. Obviously blade and razor is a huge factor, as I need to adjust many things if I want to change any of those.

... is all down to adjusting the direction of the stroke and the angle you use with your razor. Obviously blade and razor is a huge factor, as I need to adjust many things if I want to change any of those.

+1, but I also think the technique you mention is what needs to adapt to each razor/blade regardless of the setup. Keeping the blade and razor consistent definitely helps develop a solid technique and improvement with each shave.

Top Bottom