What's new

First R41 Shave.

Wow! Very interesting! But the actual Mühle customer service was good then? Not sure on the cap but I know I purchased mine straight from Mühle and I think it still came from an authorized retailer. I don't have any reason to complain to them as my razor is in perfect condition as far as I know (will double check) but I'm shocked by those vendor responses. Everyone needs to remember that we hold the power with our $$$ as the consumer! (Like you said, where you spend your money is your business)

Yeah I do not want to bash because I really like most vendors. I also liked this one as well. It's just that some people have a strange mentality. Indeed, said vendor is a plethora of knowledge about all things shaving. With that said some of the greatest do have bad bed side manners, which is tolerable because, a, I liked having vendor that knew there stuff and was equally accessible. But, it is of my personal belief that you cannot beget knowledge without empathy and basic human being skills. Especially when you do not manufacture the items you sell, you just offer a great service providing some one else's expertise, sometimes at a much inflated price.

To end, I hope all goes well for everyone as we are all still learning and growing with each passing day. End rant.

IMHO, you should name the vendor. Maybe you caught them on a bad day, or maybe this is commonplace. Either way, vendors have zero reason to change if nobody talks about them specifically, when things go less than good. I have a hard time believing this vendor would have to "adopt" your top cap considering Muhle easily sent a new one.

As was said above, we all have the power to spend our money where we see fit. It would also be nice to have the information of past customers, good or bad, before making a decision.

Okay i dont have a caliper, some one please tell me what 41.51 and 42.32 looks like on a ruler with inches and sixteenths please. Anyways, so isn't this interesting muhle has admitted there is a difference in the heads, 2001 and 2013.

I'm so pissed off at this situation, I was trying to be calm but I feel like I just got screwed out of $69.00. The irritation isn't just on my neck this time. This was a very discouraging experience and definitely has left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm so pissed off at this situation, I was trying to be calm but I feel like I just got screwed out of $69.00. The irritation isn't just on my neck this time. This was a very discouraging experience and definitely has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Is it just the discoloration though? Meaning, does it function properly? If so, I don't think it's all that bad for you, especially if its the non-visible part. The shave is what it's all about in the end, enjoy it for the foreseeable future and when you get a new one you can sell this one to recoup some of the cost.

Okay i dont have a caliper, some one please tell me what 41.51 and 42.32 looks like on a ruler with inches and sixteenths please. Anyways, so isn't this interesting muhle has admitted there is a difference in the heads, 2001 and 2013.
The easiest way is to get a penny - the 2011 head cap is not as wide, but the 2013 head cap is slightly wider. There are other photos on a thread here - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/336113-R41-new-version/page10 and also page 16.

Not sure if the penny thing works or not. For reference, this is my 2011 R41 top cap with penny. I tried to get the top cap in the center of the penny front to back. Since this is a thread about the 2013 head, maybe someone could do the same thing with their head for comparison. I still think that blade exposure is the best way to tell.
$IMG_3916.jpg

So gents, after a discussion with the vendor that for integrity shake will remain unnamed. I was belittled and made to feel bad for not being satisfied with the said razor. In fact here are the exact words I was given, First it was

1. " You are welcome to come with a magnifying glass and inspect all of our razors until you find what you want.

2. " You are claiming that a razor made by the snobbiest company in the world is " not good enough for you", I have sold thousands of these razors and never had a problem.

3. " Come exchange it I guess I will be stuck adopting your razor"

Sigh... not my business.. so I will not comment.... As a business man though big no no's. Where I spend my money is my buisness.

Anyways I emailed Muhle and they took 9 hours to tell me they would send a replacement. Wow that was easy and quick. So I will receive a new top cap. Here's the question will the 2013 cap fit the 2011 base plate?

What an unexpected responsive, they probably thought you damaged it and were trying to rip them off somehow. Not a very professional response anyway.

Not sure if the penny thing works or not. For reference, this is my 2011 R41 top cap with penny. I tried to get the top cap in the center of the penny front to back. Since this is a thread about the 2013 head, maybe someone could do the same thing with their head for comparison. I still think that blade exposure is the best way to tell.
View attachment 348458

Here's my 2013 top cap. Tried to get a similar shot. Regardless you can see the overhang on the left as I tried to line up the right. Guess the test works! :thumbup:

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 43
I don't know. I think that second photo looks like the right side is too far over on the penny. The first photo is edge to edge. The second photo has the cap sitting inside the edge.

While the second photo isn't exactly straight ( i'm not sure my first photo was exact ) There is no way to position the 2013 head, on a penny, and not have it go over the edge. I've seen detailed pics of the two heads and there is a difference in both length, width, height and weight of both the base plate and top cap between the 2011 and 2013.

While the second photo isn't exactly straight ( i'm not sure my first photo was exact ) There is no way to position the 2013 head, on a penny, and not have it go over the edge. I've seen detailed pics of the two heads and there is a difference in both length, width, height and weight of both the base plate and top cap between the 2011 and 2013.

+1, BINGO! Here are a couple other angles and alignments...any way you try to do it, the 2013 will not match up the way the 2011 does above (tried to replicate exactly that, they are clearly different).

$IMG_5554.jpg$IMG_5555.jpg$IMG_5556.jpg

Tommy,

It sounds like you have the pre-2013 model. On the 2013 model the penny doesn't come close to the left if lined up on the right. Its at least a 1/16 inch overhang if not more.

Those are better pictures. Thanks.
Although I'm still unsure what I have. There's one spot on the penny a hair above the word Liberty where my cap just about fits. It hangs over just a touch. Less than your photo. Actually it is almost so little it's hard to tell at times and I think it measures same as the penny. But I have to get it just right....exactly right. But move it just a hair and it hangs over like your photo.
But if mine is a 2013 I'd hate to think there was something out there even more aggressive! :scared:

Great shots Spee.

Thanks! I tried to replicate the same pic above taken using a 2011 head and there's no angle or alignment possible to not have it hang over the penny. I think it's safe to say if you try this match up in any fashion and it doesn't fit to the penny then you have the 2013 R41.

Tommy,

It sounds like you have the pre-2013 model. On the 2013 model the penny doesn't come close to the left if lined up on the right. Its at least a 1/16 inch overhang if not more.

Agreed, it is even more noticeable in person than possible through these pictures (which are still rather noticeable).

Top Bottom