What's new

How many shaves. Gold Dollar version.

I just finished shave #48 last night with my Seraphim modded GD. No touch-ups, only stropping. Always two pass with the straight; one WTG and one XTG on my cheeks, my neck gets two opposing XTG as I can't fit the razor properly for WTG (my hair grows W-E on my neck). I won't be sharpening it until it starts to tug. Thought I had hit that point two shaves ago but last shave and this one it was great. Figure it was a lack of proper stropping for that one shave. And my smoothness/sharpness comparision is between the str8 and my DE that I use on my ATG. If the str8 tugs even close to the DE then I'd consider the str8 dull enough to sharpen. Hell, if the st8 doesn't feel comfy I'd consider it dull enough to sharpen as well. I have never been able to do HHT tests so can't measure based on that.

Cheers,

M.

Spanish point with Midas scales. Got it back in March. :) There have been a couple more of yours I've wanted but every time I see your ads they always have a "sold" afterward. Stop making razors other people want!! Jeepers! :p

Cheers,

M.

My wife said I stink,
what’s up with that? I had a shower Thursday morning, and I’ve only worn my jeans for a week?
Hey, what is the difference between Stink, and Stunk, and Stank? Is one past tense?
Well, she said I couldn’t come in the house till I cleaned up. Good thing I have some “Kit” Carnauba Wash and Wax.
I wasn’t planning on bathing, or doing ****, but after my wife got the hose and the scrub brush, she also told me I needed a shave.
Then she gave me this!
proxy.php

now I’m afraid to go back in the house….

My wife said I stink,
what’s up with that? I had a shower Thursday morning, and I’ve only worn my jeans for a week?
Hey, what is the difference between Stink, and Stunk, and Stank? Is one past tense?
Well, she said I couldn’t come in the house till I cleaned up. Good thing I have some “Kit” Carnauba Wash and Wax.
I wasn’t planning on bathing, or doing ****, but after my wife got the hose and the scrub brush, she also told me I needed a shave.
Then she gave me this!
proxy.php

now I’m afraid to go back in the house….

You're a lucky man. I was sorely tempted by that one. I will get one of Seraphim's razors some day

need pics!

Which razor of mine do you have?

I haven't been able to keep track of which one went where...

I'll try and get pics up tonight, not sure I'll remember though. My memory is...well...

So shave #49 on Saturday night, #50 last night. Last night's was a double duty shave. Normally I follow the below for my shaves:

strop 25-ish on the cotton-y linen-y side of my strop (Premier Strop Co. Black Latigo 3". Description says it's "fabric webbing". It's the Canadian market version of SRP's strop)
strop 50-60-ish on the leather side after warming it up with some vigorous rubbing
WTG
XTG
finish off with my DE ATG for that awesomely smooth BBS/DFS. I'd use the straight but my neck hair grows W-E on my neck and I can't be bothered to contort myself for one pass.
Squeeze the remaining soap out of the brush and apply to face (find it helps with weepers and moisturizing as I don't use alum or septic pencil)
Finish off with a cold rinse
Apply ASB/AS

For the first 48 shaves the majority of soap used was Proraso White, with the odd cream sample if I was in a rush. Every other shave I also shave my head, always with the DE as I've found the straight tugs and pulls on my head.

Shaves 49 and 50 I used Mama Bear's Lemon Ice. I'm just tired of Proraso White and the damn tub has NOT MOVED AT ALL. What do they make this stuff with?? Why won't it use up?!

Last night I decided to try out the straight on my head again, see if that tugging and pulling was there. Also last night I lost track of how many laps on the strop I did. Both the webbing side and the leather side. I think I did somewhere in the vicinity of 50 on the webbing, 60-70 on the leather. Just got lost in it. Was really concentrating on getting it right instead of just fast. So last night's shave (#50) was thus:

50-ish laps on fabric
60-ish on leather
WTG
XTG
ATG with DE
Head shaved ATG with straight. No tugging, pulling, or general feelings of discomfort. Only issue was trying to get my arm to bend properly. :)
Squeezed out the remaining soap and coated face and head.
Cold water rinse
WH splash
AS splash

Awesome shave, very happy. Think I'm going to stick with the MB Lemon Ice for a while. :)

Cheers,

M.

proxy.php
#12 with Old yeller stain. Last nite, wifey made me go to bed before I could post.
I forgot to strop. Oops.
Well, still a nice comfort shave. Hot cloth, pre-shave earl, generic puck.
Shave, shave, shave.
Pinaud Clubman.
Bed...

So I haven't had a chance to upload pics yet. The original thread with pics is here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/334623-Flim-Flam-razor-sales?referrerid=35324

I bought the spanish point with midas scales.

#51 last night.
50-60 laps on fabric
30-40 on leather made lovely with some vigorous rubbing
Mama Bear's Lemon Ice.
Two passes.
Great shave. Quick ATG with my DE 'cause I just like my neck BBS.
Throw the rest of the soap on my face.
Cold water rinse
AS

Still sharp enough that when my wife startled me at the beginning of my XTG pass I separated 1/2 of a mole from my face...not nice. Not that it hurt, the damn things just bleed so much! Other than that, smooth as butta.

Cheers,

M.

PS. Did I mention that this was a Seraphim blade sharpened only by him prior to me getting it?

Shave number 52 last night. Full head and face with double growth (hadn't shaved since my last update. SWMBO...MBO... :) Kept me out and about with no time).

40-50 laps on fabric
50-60 laps on leather, nice hot leather from some vigorous rubbing. :)
Mama Bear's Lemon Ice
Three passes with the str8 for BBS on my cheeks, clean-up with DE on neck.

Shaved head ATG plus a bit of cleaning. Little bit of tugging at the end but that was my fault. Not enough pillowy soapy goodness as it had taken me too long.
No soap left this time...need to make more!
Cold water rinse.
WH splash
Proraso White Pre-Post

The double menthol was awesome. :)

Shave on face felt great, head was also great until closer to the end (again, my fault, not the razor!). I've hovered the blade about 1/4" over my arm and move XTG to see what cuts. Compared that to freshly honed Bismark and no difference. If anything, the GD is sharper...

Cheers,

M.

Shave #53 last night. Face only.

40-50 laps on fabric
50-60 laps on leather, nice hot leather from some vigorous rubbing. :)
Mama Bear's Lemon Ice
Two passes and DE ATG per usual.

Still nice and smooth. No tugging or pulling.

You know, before I started using this straight I was a pretty fresh faced newb to straights. Had maybe a dozen straight shaves under my belt. It's a hell of a thing to be that much of a newb with everything (like stropping!) and still be able to get this many shaves out of the razor. Makes you wonder why we all hone them so much...

Cheers,

M.

#13 Old yeller stain.
Three days of growth.
Strop, strop, strop...
Hot cloth
Pre-Shave earl
Generic puck (i'm waiting on some Stirling soap).
Shave, shave, shave.
I think I cut too much off my right sideburn...they don't look even.
But, a very nice shave.
Rinse
Witch Hazel (why do they call it that?)

THE VEG!

Sorry for the no update. Was a long weekend up here and the wife was actually off for the first time in three years. Got two shaves done this weekend:

Face only with Straight.
30ish laps on fabric
50ish laps on leather
WTG, XTG. Lots of tugging on this one. Not sure if it was my stropping technique or the razor. I was going more for speed than precision as the wife and I had plans.
ATG with DE. Lots of touch-up. Really need to check the blades...
Mama Bear's Lemon Ice.
Proraso White Pre-post

Feels ok. Definitely need to give it one more test and see if it was my technique or if the blade is finally dying.

Face only with Straight.
40-50 laps on fabric
50ish laps on leather.
WTG, XTG. Ahh...that's better. Was definitely my stropping technique. Nice and smooth again.
ATG with DE. Not much touch-up needed actually. This is the clear indicator to me that it was my stropping that was the issue, not the blade. :)

Mama Bear's Lemon Ice
Proraso White Pre-post.

Nice cold smooth face. Fantastic.

Cheers,

M.

#56 last night.

30-40 laps fabric
50ish on leather.
WTG, XTG. Felt great, when I got the angle right. It's nice to know that even after 56 shaves I can still screw up something as "simple" as the angle XTG on my neck (up/down strokes). :p
ATG with DE for cleanup. Cheeks were BBS without DE, neck needed a single ATG pass.
Mama Bear's Lemon Ice
Proraso White Pre-Post.

Awesome shave. Love that this blade just keeps going.

Cheers,

M.

Top Bottom