What's new

SWMBO wants an Espresso Machine

I found an older Proteo Grande sold by Starbucks in the late 1990's that makes a nice shot of espresso - all steel and much heavier than a Gaggia too:

$IMG_1943.jpg

I hadd to fiddle with it to get it to prime initially but this gave me a chance to look under the hood - found a 6 or 7 ounce brass boiler:

$IMG_1942.jpg

Great price:

$IMG_1947.jpg

Nice shot - non pressurized basket too:

$IMG_1948.jpg

Some Costa Rican/Brazilian home roast for this first shot pulled on the machine...

Attachments

• $IMG_1944.jpg
    $IMG_1944.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 89
I started with the infamous "Silvia'" and added a PID, then Vibiemme Super, then Alex Duetto twin boiler and twin PID and as mentioned by the Gents already
if you are an upgrade personality think of the long game. But of course if not then you have great feedback here already on your purchase. Don't get caught up in 15 bar vs 17 bar its marketing lingo, coffee's sweet spot is usually between the high 8's to low 9's.
Enjoy the journey !

I started with the infamous "Silvia'" and added a PID, then Vibiemme Super, then Alex Duetto twin boiler and twin PID and as mentioned by the Gents already
if you are an upgrade personality think of the long game. But of course if not then you have great feedback here already on your purchase. Don't get caught up in 15 bar vs 17 bar its marketing lingo, coffee's sweet spot is usually between the high 8's to low 9's.
Enjoy the journey !

Very similar to camera marketing. "This camera takes 1 Billion megapixel pictures".... Megapixels =! Quality.

Was your VBM the HX version? If so, I would be VERY interested to hear your take on the comparison to the Duetto.

The VBM HX and Alex II are on the top of my list atm. Randy Glass's review has me wanting the VBM, but Chris Coffee reputation and the recent updates have me wanting the Alex. Also coming in second on my list is the Rocket Giotto... because it looks so good. All these machines, from what I gather are very similar in their function and espresso quality. The biggest differences are form. What's your experience with the 2 machines as far as their construction, aesthetics, and overall use?

Also, do you have the Duetto II or III? I think the Version 3 is only available as dual boiler. Not sure if the HX will be updated similarly.

Did you ever decide on an Espresso machine? Im in the market myself and leaning towards a Rancilio Silvia.

no, not yet, but although swmbo wanted an espresso machine, i dont think she was aware of the cost of a good machine...so we are in a debate of just what to do....still shopping on craigslist for a "bargain"

Today there is a Briel and a Breville on Craigslist. The breville is listed at $89 it is an older model I think it was called the Modena (ESP6SXL). it gets mixed reviews, but for under a hundred may be a decent starter? Any thoughts while I wait for a response from the seller? The briel seems like one to avoid from what I found online.

I found a Saeco Aroma that they are asking $90 for that is new in the box. it was a wedding gift that was never used. Is it worth the money for a first espresso machine or should I hold off and spend more on a better machine?

Top Bottom