What's new

Newbie Checking In! Ready for my FIRST REAL SHAVE

Hi guys, this is my first post on B&B and definitely will not be my last. I have recently been thinking about switching from a cartridge shave to a straight blade. A little bit about my shave history, I started shaving when I was 14 (I'm a hairy guy :blushing:) and ever since then I've been shaving with cartridges. I am now 24 years old and my current routine/set up is as follows: Hot Shower and wash face with an exfoliator, splash hot water on my face, lather up with my badger hair brush (art of shave basic brush) using proraso shave cream, and shaving with a mach 5 fusion. I generally shave 3-4 times a week and try to make one cartridge last for a full month because those things are expensive!!

Reasons to switch up my shave: I hate spending so much on refill blades, I think straight blades are just cool, eventually if I become proficient at Straights I'd like to own a nice blade that I could pass down to my son some day.

Things holding me back: I get a decent shave with my current routine, relearning to shave seems like a daunting task, afraid to mess up my face :w00t:

I hope to start out with a Dovo best (not sure if I want to go full hollow or half and not sure about 5/8 or 6/8), a poor man's strop kit, and probably sticking with my current badger brush and proraso shave cream.

Anyways thanks for reading!

p.s. Someone please push me over the edge so I can buy a straight blade already :wink2:

Welcome to B&B

Larry @ Whipped Dog has a sight unseen deal that will push you over. It will be shave ready unlike many SRs out there.

Welcome to the fun!!!

+1 on the Whipped dog deal, It gives you the best chance to try a straight with minimal damage to your wallet.

Welcome to B&B

Larry @ Whipped Dog has a sight unseen deal that will push you over. It will be shave ready unlike many SRs out there.

Any idea on what type of razors come with the site unseen razors? Are they generally newbie friendly???

Hi recline, welcome to B&B!

I'm not a straight user, so I don't have much advice there--although I have heard nothing but good about Larry's "sight unseen" deals over at Whipped Dog.

When you get a chance, though, how about heading over to our Hall of Fame and telling us a bit more about yourself. You might not have noticed, but there's a whole section of B&B dedicated to shaving with a straight. While you can ask any questions that you might have here, there will probably be more and better responses to your straight razor questions over there. Wherever you choose to post, though, feel free. We're a welcoming and friendly group here, and happy to help.

Enjoy your time with us, good luck with SR shaving, and once again, WELCOME!

Welcome to the forum! If you want to go with the straights, then good luck. The learning curve will be much longer than with a DE.
Good luck to you.

Welcome aboard!

I just started with a straight last week. I feel that nothing worthwhile learning takes little effort. If that was the case everyone would use a straight, and create their own edges. You might want to think about what your will look like. I would worry about using a straight in the shower!!! :tongue_sm

Just put in a reservation to get a couple things from the whipped dog. Sight Unseen Razor, Poor Mans Strop Kit, and Styptic pen! I'm excited to get them.

EXCELLENT choices!! Lots of our members started off their straight razor voyage with just that combo and have been very happy with it!:thumbup1:

Top Bottom