What's new

Why must people do anything other than drink a decent cup of coffee?

[video]http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/health/2013/02/26/ac-ridiculist-breakfast-soda.cnn.html[/video]

Feel free to discuss. I'm just fed up with some American's inability to enjoy a decent cup of coffee in the morning. I think it has to do with the bastardization of it by Starbucks / Dunkin Donuts / McDonalds constantly burning and overcharging for their coffee, as well as the "K Cup" crowd of insipid tomfoolery.

Really, what does it take to visit your local roaster or even use whatever you can find in the supermarket and boil some water for a french press every morning?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never been to ANY local coffee roaster..as non are "local" to me...French press I enjoyed very much using fine ground coffee or authentic turkish coffee....

I've never been to ANY local coffee roaster..as non are "local" to me...French press I enjoyed very much using fine ground coffee or authentic turkish coffee....
sure theres a local roaster near you. you are the local roaster. its easy and fun. all you need is a hot air popper and some beans.

I like French press brew, too, as well as drip, and also cold brew. That's the beauty of choice, and of free will. Today I had a couple cups of supermarket brand green tea in a bag, and enjoyed them very much. To each his own.

I am lucky that I have a great local roaster only a few miles from me, but I do have to pass 2 SBs and a DD to get to it. Saying that I think it is great to have so many choices when it comes to coffee. It allows you to sample and find out what you like best. While I love my local roaster my wife thinks their coffees are "too strong" and prefers the blonde roast at SBs. I couldn't disagree more, but to each their own and if keeping it at the house for her makes my life easier than I am all for it.
I enjoy all different methods of coffee brewing, but at the moment prefer my drip coffee maker over my french press. I have an Aeropress on the way, so we will see if that changes my dialy routine.

The thing is, Cooper is 100% correct in his analysis. The ways people drink and market coffee these days are ridiculous. I'm pretty sure he's never had fresh roasted, fresh ground, fresh (and properly) brewed coffee. That said, if you don't like hot beverages, no one is going to convince you to drink hot coffee. That's not a taste-ignorance thing... it's a temp/preference thing.

A proper cup of coffee is a work of art but alas just don't have time to make one in the morning with a commute and a baby. K cups are a quick compromise in the morning and I do drink a fair amount of Starbucks but understand they are the McDonald's of the coffee world. I have had them in every state CONUS, damn near every airport in the US and in London, Dublin and Paris for all of the same reason. Because at the end of a hustle and crazy travel episode or tired I just want something that I can know will be the same.

Just like food, sometimes coffee is an experience to be savored and other times its just a part of the routine to maintain some control. The trick is to do both and enjoy each for what they are.

A little OT, perhaps, but the coffee enema is used in the Gerson therapy to detoxify the liver. It's the only use of coffee allowed on said therapy.

Robin Quivers, on The Howard Stern Show, regularly takes a coffee enema. Stern thinks she is nuts for doing that. To each their own, I say.

Most of the time I make my own coffee in a one-cup coffee maker. I keep a $10 Starbucks gift card filled just to pamper myself on occasion. I know it's expensive but it's something I enjoy.

I never got into grinding my own beans or getting freshly ground coffee. My coffee at home stays fresh by putting it in the freezer. Just never thought of it, I guess.

I drink coffee from a french press when I have the time to make a pot at home before work or when I drink coffee after work. If I don't, I usually use the office Keurig ( but with a reusable k-cup and a locally roasted coffee, when I have it ).

While the office does have them, I don't use the 1-use k-cups as the coffee is usually inferior to that brands normal coffee & they're way too expensive. Once in a while, I might grab one of their tea k-cups if I'm under the weather & want tea though. Most of those have been decent.

Does it work? Seems dangerous.

According to Charlotte Gerson, yes. There are very specific instructions for it. For one thing, the critical ingredient is caffeine. They call for organic dark roast coffee, ground, boiled for 15 minutes, and then allowed to cool.

According to Charlotte Gerson, yes. There are very specific instructions for it. For one thing, the critical ingredient is caffeine. They call for organic dark roast coffee, ground, boiled for 15 minutes, and then allowed to cool.
So a DIY version with a Tall Soy Latte with caramel sauce is out of the question then?

All those in favor of a new subforum of the Café say Venti!
Who knew this thread would be a foreshadowing of CRC month?

All those in favor of a new subforum of the Café say Venti!
Who knew this thread would be a foreshadowing of CRC month?

You, sir, have me guffawing! Would this subforum be dedicated to the special, rectal uses of coffee? or all specialized uses that don't involve drinking?

Top Bottom