What's new

question about removing lacquer from gold plated razors

i have a few razors that have only some of the lacquer coming off. it doesnt look good at all. it there a way to safely remove the rest of the lacquer without messing up the razor? here is one of the razors i have as an example of what im talking about.

Attachments

• $IMG_4409.jpg
    $IMG_4409.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 241
I haven't tried this, but I've always wondered what a soak in lacquer thinner would do to dissolve old lacquer? I know the thinner won't harm the razor or the underlying gold plating.

I've had loose flaky lacquer come off countless times in a hot soak with dish water. A soft bristled toothbrush should help things along. This probably won't remove all of it, but it will get the flaky stuff off.

I've had loose flaky lacquer come off countless times in a hot soak with dish water. A soft bristled toothbrush should help things along. This probably won't remove all of it, but it will get the flaky stuff off.
i would like to take it all off, not just the the loose stuff. i let this one soak in hot soapy water for a day or 2 and its still there.
A good soak in an ultrasonic has taken lacquer off. As for putting it on only experience is in carpentry. Not sure if that transferable. Try here? http://www.architecturals.net/how-to-lacquer-metal/

i wish i had an ultra sonic cleaner. i have been meaning to get one to make razor cleaning a little easier. until i get one do u have any other ideas lol

i would like to take it all off, not just the the loose stuff. i let this one soak in hot soapy water for a day or 2 and its still there.

i wish i had an ultra sonic cleaner. i have been meaning to get one to make razor cleaning a little easier. until i get one do u have any other ideas lol

1. Get a metal bowl and fill with water & soap
2. Get a badly timed engine that vibrates a lot. Put bowl on top. Viola! There's your ultrasonic cleaner:letterk1:

Soak it in lacquer thinner until the old stuff curdles then toothbrush it off. Get it all or it becomes really ugly.
Then spray it with Testors #28139 Ultra Gloss clear coat. It's a very thin lacquer for models. Will not easily build up.
Good luck....

I obtained some lacquer liquid and painted this on the parts of my dismantled Gillette New razor after it was polished with Autosol cleaning paste; gold plate had long gone. Razor looked great for several weeks but eventually coating wore off. There may be better ways of making this type of treament last.

I was going to post a thread on this also, one of my aristocrats had alot of the plating coming off and when the head was polished the nickel came through :) With me having two other of the same kind i decided to polish it all off to make it look nicer, but the plating on the knurling is tough. I heard oven cleaner is good to get it removed, that will be my next step of action.

Soak it in lacquer thinner until the old stuff curdles then toothbrush it off. Get it all or it becomes really ugly.
Then spray it with Testors #28139 Ultra Gloss clear coat. It's a very thin lacquer for models. Will not easily build up.
Good luck....

thanks chief

Nail polish remover will probably do the job as well. It is basically laquer thinner and the small grocery store bottle will probably be cheaper than a quart of laquer thinner at a paint store. Your wife/so or gf migth even let you borrow some.

Nail polish remover will probably do the job as well. It is basically laquer thinner and the small grocery store bottle will probably be cheaper than a quart of laquer thinner at a paint store. Your wife/so or gf migth even let you borrow some.

lol, ill tellher its for a good cause...... to make my razors look good. :001_wub:

I soaked mine in nail polish remover for around 15 hours. Just made my razor shiny haha

The best method of removing that horrible lacquer is to steep the razor for about 24 hours in Oven Cleaner - something like 'Dr Magic Oven Sense' - liquid not foam or spray. Brush into the engine turning etc with a stiff paint brush. Don't get it on your skin!

Wash thoroughly in warm water and presto the lacquer is gone.

My advice is to not replace the lacquer, even gold will last a long time if not polished with abrasive polishes and it's far easier to replate with no lacquer on there.

The best method of removing that horrible lacquer is to steep the razor for about 24 hours in Oven Cleaner - something like 'Dr Magic Oven Sense' - liquid not foam or spray. Brush into the engine turning etc with a stiff paint brush. Don't get it on your skin!

Wash thoroughly in warm water and presto the lacquer is gone.

My advice is to not replace the lacquer, even gold will last a long time if not polished with abrasive polishes and it's far easier to replate with no lacquer on there.

i believe that u speak from experience. lol im gonna try ur way.

thanks guys for all of the help and i also hope that this helps someone else out in the process

exactly what I have done in the past - it works, but I don't recommend you be too vigorous with your toothbrush

I was going to post a thread on this also, one of my aristocrats had alot of the plating coming off and when the head was polished the nickel came through :) With me having two other of the same kind i decided to polish it all off to make it look nicer, but the plating on the knurling is tough. I heard oven cleaner is good to get it removed, that will be my next step of action.
i am trying to do the same thing as yourself,i have tried the oven cleaner method with dr magic oven spray(the one onotoman said not to use)it done nothing, i thought all the dr magic oven cleaner was the same, i even thought about going easy with some brasso.

Top Bottom