What's new

Grinder help

I am in the market for a new grinder and thought I would ask for some help from y'all. I am looking for something that I can use for drip, poor over, and espresso and would like to stay around the $200 mark if possible.
i have been looking at the Breville Smart Grinder and Baratza's range of grinders, but this is my first burr grinder so any help will be greatly appreciated.

At your budget and needs, there appears to be only one choice: Baratza Virtuoso.

Thanks Jason for the help with this and also the emails the other week about the coffee machine. I'm going to have to email you this week because I am going to need to get some more coffee from you soon and want to mix it up this time.

Is there a big difference between the Virtuoso and the Preciso? I could push my budget up to $300 if it made a big difference in grind quality/consitancy.

If you can swing it, I would recommend the Precisio over the Virtuoso solely for the burr quality. I'll keep an eye out for your email. Thanks!

If you can swing it, I would recommend the Precisio over the Virtuoso solely for the burr quality. I'll keep an eye out for your email. Thanks!
The Virtuoso has the same burrs as the Preciso. Has had them since late 2011. The only difference between the two models now is the micro tuning of the later.

The micro tuning of the Preciso might be worth it if you're going to do more espresso, but the Virtuoso is the best grinder for non-espresso brewing without going to commercial machines.

The Virtuoso has the same burrs as the Preciso. Has had them since late 2011. The only difference between the two models now is the micro tuning of the later.

The micro tuning of the Preciso might be worth it if you're going to do more espresso, but the Virtuoso is the best grinder for non-espresso brewing without going to commercial machines.

First of all, welcome to Badger & Blade.

While the burrs are the same, the mounts are not. Fine adjustment for espresso is kind of a big deal. I've been frustrated by the step size on commercial stepped adjustment espresso grinders. Why deal with the frustration if you don't have to? If espresso is at all a part of the equation, I would get the best grinder I could afford for the purpose.

At home, I brew almost everything else more often than espresso, but I still have a Mazzer SJ for the task.

If you are willing to put in some extra effort and time when grinding, you could also try a hand grinder or two. Maybe get an Orphan Espresso Pharos for espresso, and a Hario for drip and all the rest. But all that is assuming you are making coffee for one or two people and not a large gathering. I have heard of people getting a couple of Harios so that they don't have to mess with the settings too much; getting one dialed in for espresso, another for pourover, etc. and then leaving them alone.

If you are willing to put in some extra effort and time when grinding, you could also try a hand grinder or two. Maybe get an Orphan Espresso Pharos for espresso, and a Hario for drip and all the rest. But all that is assuming you are making coffee for one or two people and not a large gathering. I have heard of people getting a couple of Harios so that they don't have to mess with the settings too much; getting one dialed in for espresso, another for pourover, etc. and then leaving them alone.
Honestly I had never even thought about a hand grinder. I would say 90% of the time I am making coffee for just myself(I work from home) and I only make coffee for more than 2 people every couple of months when my parents or inlaws are in town.

I find hand grinding to be a satisfying physical act, similar to the satisfaction felt when building a good lather for wet shaving. You may want to investigate both of Orphan Espresso's hand made grinders; the Lido and the Pharos before making a final buying decision. Both get a lot of praise from their respective owners, for good reasons I think. I have a Pharos and would recommend it if you are mainly grinding for espresso, or the same brewing method each day. But if you are often switching between grind sizes you will probably find it too much of a pain to adjust the setting back and forth on a daily basis. I believe the Lido is easier to adjust and is more suited for grinding across the spectrum, from French Press on down. There are 2-3 models of Hario which are also worth a look.

Top Bottom