What's new

Brazen Coffee Brewing System

I have been exchanging emails with Barry at Roastmasters and things have been going very well between us. He has offered me a refund and has also spoken with Joe Behm about this problem, which sounds fixable. Apparently the lid on some of the early models can cause a vapor lock, which leads to the incomplete brewing. Joe offered to send me a new lid and I have accepted this offer to see if it solves the problem.

Just curious if you received the new lid yet? I saw Joe tweeted that he had some minor surgery this week so he might be a bit slow to respond. I've got a Brazen from the original shipment but have not yet had a problem with vapor lock. Hoping I don't but would love to hear if the new lid is working.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Just curious if you received the new lid yet? I saw Joe tweeted that he had some minor surgery this week so he might be a bit slow to respond. I've got a Brazen from the original shipment but have not yet had a problem with vapor lock. Hoping I don't but would love to hear if the new lid is working.

I just got the new machine the other day and so far it is working fine.

I don't believe the vapor lock issue though because I tried it without the lid or with the lid cocked and it still stopped half way through. So I'm glad they sent a new machine.

I'll update more when I have computer access. My iPhone is great, but I can only type so much with my thumb. I'm out of town right now skiing, so it may be a day or so before I update any further.

I just bought the Brazen for my husband at Christmas. Everything seems to be okay except for one thing. We set itup for auto brew so it can be ready when he gets up in the morning. The last few days he has slept in a bit and come down to lukewarm coffee- had to microwave it. So he reset the start time to be about 15 minutes before he wakes up AND he raised the temp a few degrees. Still, not hot coffee- still had to microwave his cuppa joe. He watched it brew the next morning and it says it is brewing at the right temp. It is only nice and hot if you are standing there when its done. The "thermal" carafe is no such thing. For over 200 bucks, that is very disappointing. Not saying it needs to have a warmer, but a thermos keeps stuff how nearly all day. This thing can't stay hot for 15 minutes.

A friend suggested swishing hot water in the carafe right before brewing. What's the point of having an auto-start feature if you have to drag yourself out of bed just to swish hot water in your coffee carafe before you can brew? Thinking of sending it back.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I just bought the Brazen for my husband at Christmas. Everything seems to be okay except for one thing. We set itup for auto brew so it can be ready when he gets up in the morning. The last few days he has slept in a bit and come down to lukewarm coffee- had to microwave it. So he reset the start time to be about 15 minutes before he wakes up AND he raised the temp a few degrees. Still, not hot coffee- still had to microwave his cuppa joe. He watched it brew the next morning and it says it is brewing at the right temp. It is only nice and hot if you are standing there when its done. The "thermal" carafe is no such thing. For over 200 bucks, that is very disappointing. Not saying it needs to have a warmer, but a thermos keeps stuff how nearly all day. This thing can't stay hot for 15 minutes.

A friend suggested swishing hot water in the carafe right before brewing. What's the point of having an auto-start feature if you have to drag yourself out of bed just to swish hot water in your coffee carafe before you can brew? Thinking of sending it back.

That is one of my wife's complaints as well. Not a problem for me, because I have my coffee right away, but she likes a second cup an hour or so later. I usually fill the carafe with hot water and leave it sit for a few minutes, then pour it into the reservoir. Not sure if it matters after 7 hours of sitting, but that's what I do. On weekends I get up and make it, so warming the carafe is a noticeable difference on those days.

The Brazen makes a great cup of coffee, but the 8 cup batch is a bit small for 3 adults and the carafe is nowhere near as good as our old Capresso.

Wanted to see if any of you with the system had any more feedback on it? I am in the market for a new home brewer and this one interests me.

just read through this and I'm sincerely saddened by peoples experiences. I was thinking of picking one of these up b/c it sounded like it was exactly what I was looknig for. I think I'll wait for them to work the kinks out first though :glare:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Wanted to see if any of you with the system had any more feedback on it? I am in the market for a new home brewer and this one interests me.

just read through this and I'm sincerely saddened by peoples experiences. I was thinking of picking one of these up b/c it sounded like it was exactly what I was looknig for. I think I'll wait for them to work the kinks out first though :glare:

I also wish there were more users to weigh in on this. I am enjoying the Brazen very much. It makes excellent coffee with very fine control. My wife's number one problem is the 8 cup batch size, which is not a deal breaker for me. The other problem is that the carafe doesn't keep the coffee as warm as our old one (Capresso). It keeps it hot enough for me, as I don't need it to stay hot for 2 hours. If I want coffee in 2 hours I can make more.

Sundays are the biggest issue with the carafe, as we only finish half of the carafe before church. Then when we come home about 2-1/2 to 3 hours later the coffee is only warm.

Ouch. $200 clams and it doesn't keep the coffee warm? I might have a problem with that.

$200 is a bit too much regardless, at least for me, but I prefer espresso and cappuccino to regular coffee (made on the stove with a Bialetti or equivalent). Just the same, it's very interesting to read everyone's comments.

- Randy

I also wish there were more users to weigh in on this. I am enjoying the Brazen very much. It makes excellent coffee with very fine control. My wife's number one problem is the 8 cup batch size, which is not a deal breaker for me. The other problem is that the carafe doesn't keep the coffee as warm as our old one (Capresso). It keeps it hot enough for me, as I don't need it to stay hot for 2 hours. If I want coffee in 2 hours I can make more.

Sundays are the biggest issue with the carafe, as we only finish half of the carafe before church. Then when we come home about 2-1/2 to 3 hours later the coffee is only warm.

Inconsistant quality and the carafe are the deal breakers for me. I need something that will keep the coffee very hot for 1-1.5 hrs.

Inconsistant quality and the carafe are the deal breakers for me. I need something that will keep the coffee very hot for 1-1.5 hrs.
Inconsistent quality? I thought with the programming that you could be very consistent with your brews after you found your favorite settings?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Inconsistent quality? I thought with the programming that you could be very consistent with your brews after you found your favorite settings?

I think he means quality of manufacture. Ours just started having the same issue as the first one by only brewing part of the water in the reservoir.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have no idea what I'm going to do with this machine now. I now have two Brazen coffee makers that don't work right. I need to contact someone about this. If I could get get my money back I'm not even sure what I would get next, maybe a Bonavita and a timer.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I got up early this morning and watched it brew. It just ended after only a little over half of the water passed through the filter basket. I had to press start to get it to finish brewing.

I got up early this morning and watched it brew. It just ended after only a little over half of the water passed through the filter basket. I had to press start to get it to finish brewing.
This wrong. I hope you get this worked out and in the meantime hopefully you have a backup like a French press or something to hold you over.

Cooks magazine this month has a review of drip coffee makers (though the subject of this thread was not tested) and while I don't use a drop coffee maker I found their research to be very interesting, especially after reading the comments above. The various units they tested were around this same price range - if you are not happy with this model you may find that article interesting...

- Randy

Top Bottom