What's new

Alum block?

Is the good for one's face? These days most "natural" products are advertising that their products contain no alum.

I know there are various forms of alum and those used in deodorants, for example, are different than those used in a alum block still I seem to recall that alum is not necessarily considered as harmless today as it was in the past.

Use mine daily. Gives you a good report card on the harshness of your shave, tightens the face and seals any occasional nicks you may have. Also a bonus in that if you rub it on your fingers before your shave it helps to improve your grip on the razor and when you stretch your face when shaving. It doesn't stay on your face long after you use it since I rinse with cold water after I use it. Aside that its cheap and lasts forever, I wouldn't be without it. Really don't think its a health concern. Good luck.

One more thought/question...an alum block is about $9. A large bottle of Dickenson's Witch Hazel is about $3 and probably does more for the skin than an alum block. What is the biggest argument for the alum block? Portability?

It works well to stop bleeding, in my opinion, but i don't use mine very much now since my technique has improved.

One more thought/question...an alum block is about $9. A large bottle of Dickenson's Witch Hazel is about $3 and probably does more for the skin than an alum block. What is the biggest argument for the alum block? Portability?
$6 will buy you a 120gr crystal. That will last for at least two years, when used every day.
I stopped using AS with alcohol and alum block somehow feels better on my skin. I do use Thayers WH regularly, so there is no competition between the two.
My biggest argument for alum block? It successfully replaced the alcohol in AS.
You are probably right, WH does more for the skin than an alum block.

I use it only to stop bleeding, which is usually only a minor spot or two every couple shaves. The block lasts for years that way, it's not a big expense (I also use a styptic pencil for the (rare) more stubborn scratches, it seems to be stronger than the natural alum block. That one also lasts me for years.)

Just started using alum block, Razorock Alum (which is great because it has a plastic handle so you don't have to touch it if you don't want to). It acts as a great antiseptic and toner. I use alum then alcohol free thayers witch hazel then a moisturizer. The alum replaces the need for alcohol or any other antiseptic. It's fine to use on your face (remember to rinse it off)

i use a alum bloc i found it great for improving technique :) and stopping nicks as well. now technique has improved gone to witch hazel. alum bloc is just as good if not better the witch hazel. however YMMV

Is the good for one's face? These days most "natural" products are advertising that their products contain no alum.

I could be wrong, but I think you are referring to the use of aluminum in deodorant and other similar products. Either way, Alum blocks don't contain any of this additive It is just a block of potassium alum, which is a naturally forming crystal.

I just added an alum block to my routine and it's made a HUGE difference to the quality of my skin after a shave – any redness or irritation I would normally have after a shave is gone! I still use Thayers and aftershave after the block, but alum has made such a difference I'm not sure I even need them anymore.

Very true. In my experience, you are more likely to shatter your block into a million pieces by accident before ever finishing it by actual use.

I use it only to stop bleeding, which is usually only a minor spot or two every couple shaves. The block lasts for years that way, it's not a big expense (I also use a styptic pencil for the (rare) more stubborn scratches, it seems to be stronger than the natural alum block. That one also lasts me for years.)

Very true. In my experience, you are more likely to shatter your block into a million pieces by accident before ever finishing it by actual use.

i have been lucky so far in the bloc not smashing as have dropped it twice now :( but im sure one day my luck will end .

I could be wrong, but I think you are referring to the use of aluminum in deodorant and other similar products. Either way, Alum blocks don't contain any of this additive It is just a block of potassium alum, which is a naturally forming crystal.

from Wikipedia, (Potassium) Alum is "potassium double sulfate of aluminum (KAl(SO[SUB]4[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB]). So, there's some aluminum in it. However, most deodorants (anecdotal -- just grabbed what I have upstairs*) don't seem to contain alum (or aluminum) in any form.

* Generic mass-market old spice "classic"

I only use it if there's some bleeding, which there usually isn't or not very much, and then WH. I don't know if that's correct, but it seems to work for me.

When I shave I use an alum block + witch hazel. Like some of the others I like the instant feedback my face gives me. Then I finish off with some A/S balm and A/S. It may be over kill but I find it very relaxing.

I know there are various forms of alum and those used in deodorants, for example, are different than those used in a alum block still I seem to recall that alum is not necessarily considered as harmless today as it was in the past.

If you've ever eaten a dill pickle, you've ingested alum. It's *not* aluminum, nor is eating table salt ingesting sodium or chlorine... nor by drinking water are you ingesting oxygen.

Last edited:

This.

Aluminum Chlorhydrate used to be used as an antiperspirant in the 60s and 70s.
It has fallen into disfavor, but Potassium Alum is no more related to Aluminum Chlorhydrate than Sulfer Dioxide is related to Sulfuric Acid. The element is present, but the compound is different, and it is not being consumed.
FWIW, the connection between Aluminum absorbed through the skin and levels implicated in neurological diseases is tenuous at best.

I like using mine and it gets almost daily use - esp if I feel a little tenderness/razor burn or notice any small weepers during the post shave rinse.

Use it on your armpit hair, stops the body odors forming and helps to prevent sweating, and doesn't stain clothes.

Top Bottom