What's new

Haggis Anyone

Every time I watch "How It's Made," it is the episode with Haggis. After seeing a few times, it occurs to me that it might be pretty tasty. Anyone like the real thing - sheep lung and all?

It's very tasty.
Great when prepared traditionally, though I like mine with a litle gravy, and I don't like neeps (that's rutabaga to youze).
Makes a fantastic breakfast slice when fried.

Now, where you located, and how are you going to get the real deal (since you can't import it from Scotland if in the US)

I'm in the US so it will have to await my next trip to the UK. I was thinking it might be a tasty replacement for the blood sausage you normally get with a "full" breakfast.

When I was in Scotland I had it. I didn't care for the consistency and the flavor didn't exactly win me over. They had excellent lamb though!

Love the stuff. Truly an example of something that tastes so much better than it sounds. Though I have to admit that my initial attraction to it was specifically FOR how disgusting it sounds. I love trying foods that sounds odd/gross/unconventional.

strop

Now half as wise
I've had it a couple of times. It wasn't nearly as bad as I had been led to believe, and much better then the black pudding (breakfast sausage). I was told told haggis was much better with a wee dram poured over it, but didn't try it that way.

It's very tasty.
Great when prepared traditionally, though I like mine with a litle gravy, and I don't like neeps (that's rutabaga to youze).
Makes a fantastic breakfast slice when fried.

Now, where you located, and how are you going to get the real deal (since you can't import it from Scotland if in the US)

The way you describe it, it almost sounds like scrapple. The raw material is the same. How do the tastes compare?

Yep, I love the stuff! The best haggis I had was in Moffat (Scotland) when I was a wee bairn - sliced and deep fried in a beer batter with chips on the side

I was a bit late, but luckily they were still in the shops when I looked.
Interesting to note that the first ingredient listed was sheep's lung. I doubt any American version will be at all authentic if it is missing the main ingredient.
I found it delicious, as I have before, but made the mistake of eating a whole one. Big mistake, I don't seem to have the stomach for such a blowout nowadays.
A second haggis is lurking in the freezer waiting for round 2.

I don't like liver, so I don't like haggis. I'd probably like vegetarian haggis since I like the oats and other ingredients. For those who want to know: haggis is made by a guy in the slaughterhouse taking a shovel to the floor and putting that scoop in a sheep's stomach.

I've had blood sausage and scrapple, both of which I both love and frankly, I can't imagine haggis being that different. I'm not going to bother with the canned crap on Amazon, so what's a good mail order outlet for some of this haggis?

haggis is fantastic but it has to be the Scottish haggis nothing is better :) at least noting goes to waste when eating haggis .
check this link out http://haggishunt.scotsman.com/
$800px-Haggis_scoticus.jpg a wild haggis in the Glasgow museum

I don't really find that haggis tastes much like liver at all, I'd say the closest thing to it is black pudding, and even that's pretty far off the mark

I've only had Haggis when visiting Scotland, and I really like it. Personally, I think people hesitate when they read about the ingredients, BUT the dish is fantastic!

I don't like liver, so I don't like haggis. I'd probably like vegetarian haggis since I like the oats and other ingredients. For those who want to know: haggis is made by a guy in the slaughterhouse taking a shovel to the floor and putting that scoop in a sheep's stomach.

I don't think it is quite that crude. Simply because it is made from offal doesn't mean that it is made with any less care than other food.

I've had blood sausage and scrapple, both of which I both love and frankly, I can't imagine haggis being that different. I'm not going to bother with the canned crap on Amazon, so what's a good mail order outlet for some of this haggis?

Nor will I. When I try it, it will be the real thing - lungs and all.

Top Bottom