What's new

Is it wrong to use Ivory soap

You "can" use it and I "have" used it in the past.

It is not as good or enjoyable as using a product that is formulated for shaving though

Give it a shot! Try a damp brush and really load a lot ivory on it. Then slowly add water to the tips. Share pictures on if this works.

I tried this out last year because of the ad posted above. I followed the exact directions and it works. The lather was slick with good cushion. It was boring and strictly utilitarian but it worked.

OK, after re-reading this thread and especially the vintage Ivory Soap ad posted by rockviper, I pledge to use a bar of Ivory Soap for tomorrow's shave! That will be a departure from this morning's Cella shave! If I survive, I will report my results. OK, which of my Gillette razors and which blade should I use? Maybe an early 50's Super Speed and "The Spoiler" blade.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
You'll notice the ad says to use the soap like a shave stick rather than loading the brush directing on the soap. Not sure if this changes the lather quality if loading is done right, but I suspect their "produce better results than loading on the soap" might be attributable to loading not enough product.

Yep, I saw that and that is what I will emulate. I will grab the bar and use it like a shaving soap stick applying soap, then face-lather with a brush.

P.S. I think I know how this will go because I have experimented with using bar soap or shampoo as a lather just for giggles. You can shave with about anything that moistens the face and provides some protection and glide. But why would you want to use the inferior products when there are so many truly fine shaving soap and creams to enjoy.

As far as soap, I've had fairly decent results from Dr. Bonner's Almond. I can't imagine Ivory though, the smell doesn't sit right with me.

OK, after re-reading this thread and especially the vintage Ivory Soap ad posted by rockviper, I pledge to use a bar of Ivory Soap for tomorrow's shave! That will be a departure from this morning's Cella shave! If I survive, I will report my results. OK, which of my Gillette razors and which blade should I use? Maybe an early 50's Super Speed and "The Spoiler" blade.

Vaya con Dios.

Ivory,
I shave with ivory,
Good shaving rules
I want to flout them

Those fancy shaving pucks
I'll never use them
My epidermal layers
I live to abuse them

The lather's dry
The razor burn makes me cry
Just like I
Was shaving with Williams

Call me a dope
At least I don't use Zote
But I shave....with Ivory!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the basic goodness of Ivory -- for washing. I tried shaving with it once, and that was enough. Enough said.

Never tried Ivory, but have used motel face (not bath) soaps with OK results. It's just that almost any shaving soap is considerably better

You could shave with used motor oil, but why not use something pleasant and manufactured for the purpose?

I was JUST thinking of a similar analogy to post but you beat me too it. "you could put regular gas in your mercedes too, but how smooth will it run?"

I like yours better, lol.

Reporting in on my Ivory Soap Test Shave as promised. As with any scientific inquiry one must start with an hypothesis, a clear and repeatable study design, and eliminate/reduce variables.

Purpose: Use Ivory Soap to perform a close & comfortable wet shave.

Hypothesis:
Ivory Soap will perform satisfactorily as a shaving soap.

Materials:
1954 Gillette Super Speed, Gillette Stainless ("Spoiler") blade, one bar of Ivory Soap, B&B Essential boar brush, sink, tap water.

Procedure:
Follow my normal shave routine - Place brush in cup with warm water, allow to soak for 5 minutes while showering. Shower and wash face with bar soap. Apply Ivory bar soap to wet face as with a shaving soap stick until a light film of soap appears on stubble, about 10 swipes with the soap. Drain water by gravity from brush, give it two downward pumps to remove excess water. Apply brush to face for 1 minute using circling motions to work soap on stubble into a lather. Place brush aside for successive between-pass relathers. Using razor and blade, perform first WTG pass. Relather. Perform second XTG pass. Relather. Perform third XTG/ATG pass. Rinse face with warm then cold water. Dry face. Apply Clubman AS.

Results/Observations:
Face-lather produced was thinner than what most shave stick and soaps produce. Lather applied smoothly but thinly. I noticed a slight irritation on the skin. First pass was good, adequate glide and moisture for beard reduction. No problems with dragging, nicks or weepers. Relather was thinner and second pass required more caution but pass completed with same results as first pass. Relather (almost no lather left in brush, essentially just a wet face. Third pass required above average caution and lighter touch. Below average pass but still no nicks or weepers. Rinse revealed no problems. Completed an acceptable and comfortable shave but not DFS. Face feels not moisturized.

Conclusions: Using Ivory Soap as a shaving soap provided an average and adequate shave. Based on results and with comparison of all other products specifically designed as shaving creams and soaps, I conclude that Ivory Soap is a below average product when used for wet shaving.

Application: I recommend using Ivory Soap as a hand and bath soap only. Wet shavers seeking a close, comfortable, moisturizing, and qualitatively enjoyable shave should choose shaving soaps specifically designed for that purpose.

Tomorrow... Return to shaving with Tabac!

Might be worth trying that method described in the old ad. I personally will stick to the good soaps from Mama Bear's, Mike's, and Queen Charlotte. YMMV.

Top Bottom