What's new

I think I pulled a Pacocot on my LaGrise

OK, looking back, I see "Pacocot" equated to "lots of pressure, then back off". Well, I'm still getting fed up with my La Grise; the booger just isn't working for me a good portion / most of the time. Maybe it was emotions, maybe just trying something new, but here's what happened...bit of play-by-play. I think I Pacocotted.

• Hey, that weird Boker is here on my razor storage thingy. I'll give it a go. Having the jonesin' for some honesin', I figured i'd take the blade and touch it up. It was hair-popping somewhat to start with, but a guys gotta do what a -- well. ok.
  • in the past few weeks, I'd gotten a LaGrise bout, and sometimes it had worked for me if I finished on the coti under some running water. Other times it didn't. So I lapped the rock a smidge (I've learned the hard way to not skip that), lightly rubbed a slurry stone on it to smooth it a bit, rinsed well, and then went a did a bunch (100+) laps under running water, just like the last times.
  • took it from under the water and checked for undercut of the waterfront...completely gone.
  • well frik.
  • Norton 8K tuned it up again.
  • coti with water....lost it.
  • coti with just a haze of slurry from slurry stone...got the undercut. yay! spent some time there.
  • rinse, coti with water a little bit...lost it. dang.
  • coti with just a haze of slurry from slurry stone...got the undercut. yay! spent some time there.
  • rinse, dry, HHT check...nope.
  • well frik.
  • sigh.
  • RRRRRGGGHHH!!!! <hones with crazy pressure, worried he's going to break something or bend the scales or something, but does it anyway.>
  • whaaa? finally, the rock shows it's true colors and has slurried itself. (eww! well, it is next to the toilet, anyway) That was a question someone asked early on ("does it self slurry?"), and though I was watching for it all along before then and after, I couldn't see it. Well, if you push hard enough, it does. I was pushing hard.
  • whaaa? I'm undercutting the water in some places! Not to be unexpected, given that slurry has shown do that (see above), but this was a better undercut, and not generated from a slurry stone.
  • rinse everything...hone lightly with water and it retains the undercut for a bit, then notices it is starting to go.
  • hones some more with crazy pressure, reachieving undercut. Do that until undercut is continuous both directions, all along the edge. I swear, a softer metal would have bent. Was actually worried I was going to snap it somehow.
  • ease up on the pressure, using the self-generated slurry...it retains the undercut.
  • rinse, squirt on a bunch of Smith's Honing solution, hone on that veeeery lightly for 30 laps.
  • rinse, dry.
  • HHT 3. Strop --> HHT4.
  • smooth nice shave this morning.

So if I started with a reasonably decent edge, I think if I then proceed directly to Step "XVII" (the "RRRRGGH" part, though without the negative emotions), I think I have another method to deal with this La Grise. This is the Pacocot of B&B myth and legend (circa a couple months ago), yes?

<yes, having fun with list markup there>

Last edited:
Good man Krodor. I've had similar great results. If it doesn't work at first, lean on it and it might! That's always been my way of working, it's just these coticule traditionalists want you to use NOOOOO pressure. Paco has changed coticule life as we know it. I'm gonna tell Maurice next week and see if he cuts me into bouts!!!!

LOL, great post.

proxy.php

Are you kidding. The Most Interesting Man Alive holds the razor in his hand, merely looks at the coticule, and the razor is shave ready!

I'll have to read up on the Pacocot. I'm a La Grise (and coticules in general) newbie & am also struggling to get good consistent edges off of the Grise. I just learned the Dilucot & found that a significant amount of pressure at first seems to work well. I then back off on the pressure as the dilutions get thinner & thinner. I was able to get HHT4 after stropping as well, so something tells me I'm doing something right!

Top Bottom