What's new

Rare/uncommon kitchen tools

What in the world does a pie bird do?
I thought the pineapple corer was the stupidest thing ever until I used one. Literally takes a pineapple to the bare bones in seconds.

A pie bird lets the steam out. ( I had to ask a while ago, haha).

I find it hard to understand that it seems that most American homes don't have a kettle to heat water.

Pardon? I've never heard of such a thing, but then I'm Canadian.

Also kitchen scales, digital or otherwise. Essential for a lot of recipes. Mind you, you cook a lot with cups as measures where we've always used scales. Scales are easier and less to clean up afterwards!

I disagree. Scales don't go in the dishwasher.

I saw someone post the potato ricer! My wife has an antique version. Last time I used it was for potato gnocchi. Perfect tool and they were yummy!

Brandy spoon -- it fits over a coffee cup and you place a sugar cube and brandy in it -- flambe the cube then stir it into the coffee -- I have 2, but I think the process is a waste of good coffee and good brandy

Brandy spoon -- it fits over a coffee cup and you place a sugar cube and brandy in it -- flambe the cube then stir it into the coffee -- I have 2, but I think the process is a waste of good coffee and good brandy
Actually the intent of the spoon was to place brandy and a sugar cube in the spoon over a candle and warm the brandy until the sugar dissolves then dump into coffee. Flaming sugar into your high end liquor does nothing but ruin it. It's just some drink party thing.

For example absinthe, the roper way to drink it I to put some in the bottom of your glass, place your absinthe spoon over top, then put your sugar cube over that, then slowly drip ice water over your sugar into your absinthe louche it and create mixture of 5 parts water to one part absinthe. But people still insist on lighting the sugar cube on fire for whatever reason, and ruin the absinthe, it really is kind of pointless and destructive to light your high end liquor on fire

Last edited:
I don't have anything necessarily rare or uncommon, but I have a lot of Androck and Corona utensils - red, green and butterscotch catalin handles - lovely stuff, just not dishwasher safe.

But I got some olive/fondue forks

$IMG_4833.jpg

and this one is extra fun

$IMG_4834.jpg

$IMG_4837.jpg

$IMG_4838.jpg

$IMG_4841.jpg

-jim

im not sure if this has been posted but how about a splade no one own them these days cant beat eating pasta with one

i dont know anyone that owns one of these but what about a melon slicer. one of the ones that are on a big board like a guillotine

my grand parents own some of these. the hand operated egg beaters not sure if these two have been discussed yet

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
i dont know anyone that owns one of these but what about a melon slicer. one of the ones that are on a big board like a guillotine

my grand parents own some of these. the hand operated egg beaters not sure if these two have been discussed yet

You just made me remember the orange juicer my grandmother had. It was a white enameled press with a big chrome handle. It worked pretty quickly compared to the two part bowl type that you twisted the orange halves over.

anybody mention the grapefruit spoon?

also there's the butter knife -- yeah everybody's got one, but most don't use them properly

Kelly

Top Bottom