What's new

TECH Tuesday

I took Doug's advise and tried a Wilki blade in my 46-50 NDC still-a-little-gold-left Tech....and was amazed. I found those Wilkis absolutely useless in both my Super Speed and Super Adjustable.

Anyway, using up a tube of Palmolive Deluxe Moisturizing cream with my trusty VHD boar and following up with some Dickinson's WH gave me a nice Tuesday morning.

Thanks for the nudge, Doug! I've been meaning to toss that pack of blades but now I think I've found an excellent travel combo...an easy to pack and not too worried to loss razor matched with an easy to get when I get there blade!

Shaved with a Tech head on a Tradere handle this morning. Lather was a superlather of Hugo Naturals (yes, it's a bath soap) Wild African Rose with a little unscented KMF. This combination made a Xillion-esque lather, truly beautiful, and the shave was fine. After the shave face feel was several notches below my usual Mystic Water or RazoRock tallow soaps, but not too bad. Smooth shave in two passes plus touch-up.

Blade was a SuperMax SuperPlatinum (2).

By the way, I traveled and shaved on the road last Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I took a fat-handled Tech and a travel brush. Great shaves on Friday and Saturday.

On Sunday I noticed the first-pass efficacy of the Tech was ridiculously good, and ended up with two small weepers (which never happened with my Tech before). I didn't realize until I went to clean up/pack up that I had loosened the head from the handle on Saturday to allow the blade to dry better. I shaved on Sunday without tightening the head. It wasn't wobbling, but it was more than a quarter-turn loose. Very efficient this way, but not recommended for daily shaving.

I thought adding Tech clones would expand Tech Tuesday for other members to get a glimpse at razors that inspired the original. It would also open it up to newbies that may be shaving with a Lord L5 or Boots UK razor that seem to very popular to our members overseas. Original Techs seem to be pretty common here, but maybe not so much it Europe.

No need to worry about us European dudes. The Tech is also very common here. I wonder if that is also the case for other continents. Anyway I like the idea of expanding Tech Tuesday by allowing Tech inspired razors. Especially because there are so many of them. It really seems like the Tech type headed DE razors make up a significant amount of currently produced three piece razors.

As an aside. I expect the popularity of the Tech to increase significantly because of this very active thread.

proxy.php

No need to worry about us European dudes. The Tech is also very common here. I wonder if that is also the case for other continents. Anyway I like the idea of expanding Tech Tuesday by allowing Tech inspired razors. Especially because there are so many of them. It really seems like the Tech type headed DE razors make up a significant amount of currently produced three piece razors.

As an aside. I expect the popularity of the Tech to increase significantly because of this very active thread.

Fair enough, I'm good with the outcome either way. I have enough original Gillette Techs to keep things interesting for myself. I just though it would be fun to include the clones, that's all ; )

Tech or no Tech -

TODAY -

Bob's Razor Works custom deluxe long handle with a Gillette Tech head and a Brazilian Gillette super thin Mejorada blade

Lijun silver tip brush face lathering Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad soap

Master Musk after shave

proxy.php

Last edited:
Fair enough, I'm good with the outcome either way. I have enough original Gillette Techs to keep things interesting for myself. I just though it would be fun to include the clones, that's all ; )

Actually I agree with you on that. I just said that even though we have plenty of Gillette Techs in Europe I still think it is a good idea to include clones for this thread.:001_smile

$IMG_20120515_135329.jpg$IMG_20120515_135358.jpg
My Gillette Tech (40s-50s) is one of my favorites that I rotate while shaving my noggin'. The handle feels great. My EJ89L is exclusively for my face shaves.

WARHAWK

I planning to use my latest two Tech purchases (a British 4-piece handle travel Tech and a British service set Tech), later on tonight.

I've tried taking some photos of them but my camera won't play ball at the moment.

Posted this the other day in another thread but thought you guys should have a butchers. Replated (nickel) fat Tech with 'D' slots. Replated by our vey own Ontoman. Shave better than any other Tech I've owned.

Tech or no Tech -

TODAY -

Bob's Razor Works custom deluxe long handle with a Gillette Tech head and a Brazilian Gillette super thin Mejorada blade

Lijun silver tip brush face lathering Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad soap

Master Musk after shave

proxy.php

Turtle,
Glad you stuck to the BRW handled Tech for today and did not go after that French trollop you were tempted with earlier in the thread....though anyone would be tempted, we are human after all.

Tonight's Tech Tuesday Shave 5-15-12

Pre-War Tech w/ Merkur 1904 handle | Feather Blade | ARKO Shave Stick (mashed in shave bowl) | Crabtree & Evelyn Super Badger Brush | 3 fantastic passes | Cold water rinses w/ ice cube rub finish! | Dickensen's Witch Hazel Splash | Proraso after shave lotion

$TTS51512.jpg

Well I never, the 1904 handle fits the Tech head. May just give that a go in the near future.

Was thinking the same thing. I've got an orphan 1904 handle in my drawer and was wondering what I would use it for. Don't have the 1904 razor, just the handle that came with some other items I bought a while ago.

I bought a small tube of CO Bigelow shave cream this morning. I'll update everyone this coming TECH Tuesday.

proxy.php

(Contract Gillette Tech WWII)

proxy.php

(British Thin Handled, Aluminium Handle & Baseplate Tech(N.5) 50's, Aluminium Handle Tech 1960-1970)

proxy.php

(Gillette Tech N.5)

proxy.php

(Gillette Tech)

proxy.php

(Gillette Tech Thin Handle)

proxy.php

(WWII Gillette Contract Tech's)

proxy.php

(WWII Gillette Contract Tech Bakelite Handle)

Last edited:
Was thinking the same thing. I've got an orphan 1904 handle in my drawer and was wondering what I would use it for. Don't have the 1904 razor, just the handle that came with some other items I bought a while ago.

One of those handles could easily be paired with a Tech head. Mint travel Techs can often be found for next to nothing, just waiting for the right handle.

Today, I paired my Tech with a Shark blade, RazoRock XXX, a Simpson Eagle brush and 4711 AS. I finished with a spritz of Eau de L'Occitan

Top Bottom