Shave #19
Brush: Omega 11126
Razor: Started out with R41, abandoned and went back to Executive FB
Blade: Personna 74
Soap: TFS Rosse
Post Shave: CF1145/ Sir Irisch Moos EdT
Blade Secret: Bacardi 151 dip
Passes: 3+

I don't think I'll ever get the hang of that cheese grater. Silly idea trying that. One N/S stroke on neck and I was back to the D3. Wound up with a great shave though. As smooth as an android's bottom.

Shave 22

Brush: Semogue 620
Razor: EJ89 DEL
Blade: Dorco 301
Soap: Tabac
Post Shave: Proraso AS

Holy cow, the Dorco goes BBS again!!! I felt just a little sting from the Proraso AS, but it's still 100% BBS!!!!

Work sent me out of town last week and I was unable to update but I stuck with my Red IP until the end of my 16th shave. The blade took a noticeable change for the worse. I'm officially out. But seeing how I have a tough beard, I'm pleasantly surprised I made it this far.

I'm still in and the Futur/Feather are still slicing away stubble extremely well.
Today was probably my best shave of the month, and while part of that will be due to the fact that I didn't shave yesterday (I always get a better shave after I skip a day) the blade deserves some kudos for remaining sharp and developing some great smoothness.

Shave 18 with Aristocrat; Astra SP; MWF.
Switched from badger to boar brush. Got poor lather on the 2nd pass, had to reload for the 3rd. Despite that, a close to perfect shave.
I haven't cleaned the razor since shave 1. There is a slight build-up of white film under the head despite thorough rinsing and dipping in rubbing alcohol. Opened the TTO head to peek at the blade, which was mostly clean.

Shave 19. This is getting ridiculous. I'm getting perfect shaves and the blade seems incapable of causing weepers or irritation. This is going even better than last year when I used a Merkur - which was equally mild at this point but required some effort to get good shaves.

Last edited:
I think it's amazing that all of who have tried this have had great success. 16 shaves with a Red Israeli is pretty amazing. And we have Feathers, Dorcos, and P74s still in the running (and a few I may have forgot).

I think this kills the myth of blades only lasting 2 or 3 shaves. Blades can last longer than 2 or 3 shaves.

I bet anyone if these de blades were say around $3.00 per blade or cartridge prices a lot more people would make them last as long as possible and even then some more but because they`re like around 30 cents or less a blade they just toss them after a few shaves.
I knew this challenge was a walk in the park because I`ve actually done this many times with my Astra Platinum but after a while I get tired of using the same blade so I toss it for a new one of course the new blade shaves require less touch ups and prep on my face compared to a one month old blade.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
27 shaves and still going with the Feather.

I was a Red IP user for years and only used them for 2-3 shaves. It was partly because I bought a boat load for 10 cents apiece and partly because I just didn't like the way they felt after 3 shaves.

The biggest reason I was pushing these Feathers is because I decided to join the year long shave sabbatical and was running low on blades. I had to milk out the last two Feathers that I had until I could trade something for some more Feathers. Now that I have used two different Feather blades for over 20 shaves each, I am convinced that they are worth every penny.

Shave #20 (Merkur HD/Personna 74/Made-Rite #18 horse brush/Speick MEN SC & ASL)

3 passes for DFS. It's the last day of my out-of-towner, and I didn't feel like pushing too hard. I haven't had a chance to do my post-shave alcohol dip for four days now, and the water is hard here, so at least psychologically I feel there may be some buildup on the blade edges that is affecting the sharpness. But the whiskers come off just fine, my skin is very comfortable, and I feel just a trace of leftover stubble in the usual facial nooks.

No shave tomorrow, and I can't wait for Saturday morning back in the den with a new aggressive razor!

This Morning's Shave; #18 on an NOS Schick Plus Platinum Injector/ Easy Rider Razor; Face Lathered Turkish Old Spice SC with my Shavemac Finest Fan. After Tuesday's BBS, I was able to skip a day, I had a 32 hour growth and completed a two-pass & touch-up, very smooth and clean cutting of whiskers. It did feel like I had a bit more stubble after the first pass, but I was DFS after the second pass and touch-up, I finished with the Aramis ASB, I'm really enjoying this Balm for the way it leaves my face feeling, smooth & moisturized.

I think it's three more shaves till the end of the month, not because of blade degradation, but I try to have one day of recovery for my face.

Last edited:
Shave #20
Brush: Rooney 1/1 Super
Razor: Rhodium Executive
Blade: Personna 74
Croap: QCS Cordovan
Post Shave: Thayers and Creed Windsor wow this stuff is amazing
Blade Secret: Bacardi 151 dip
Passes: 3

Blade still sharp. DFS too late and tired to fuss with tricky under jaw j hooking tonight.

I had to drop out for several reasons guys:
1. week long trip to Vegas meant I had to revert to my Fusion for a week =( TSA is NOT getting my R41 OR my Sledgehammer Slant!!
2. I won the Straight Razor PIF and received a Boker earlier this month, so I am getting my feet wet with the straight and journaling on my progress, as a condition of the PIF.
Maybe next year guys!!

Day 24

Brush: VDH Deluxe

Blade: Wal-Mart German Wilkinson
Cream: Proraso Soap

Post Shave: Pinaud Clubman

23 shaves and still a DFS with the Wilkinson. I took yesterday off so today I took down 2 days of growth. No problem!!

I bet anyone if these de blades were say around $3.00 per blade or cartridge prices a lot more people would make them last as long as possible and even then some more but because they`re like around 30 cents or less a blade they just toss them after a few shaves.
I knew this challenge was a walk in the park because I`ve actually done this many times with my Astra Platinum but after a while I get tired of using the same blade so I toss it for a new one of course the new blade shaves require less touch ups and prep on my face compared to a one month old blade.

I haven't been in on the one blade February challenge as I was still doing some testing through a sample pack in search of THE BLADE. I have settled on the Astra SP and bulk ordered. I've been using Astras for past 3 weeks in 4 differenr razors, all with great results. Just for a test I sayed with the current Astra in my Fat Boy this week and just had 6th shave, still DFS. I typically have been getting 4-5 shaves out of all the brands but it seems like Crystal and Astra still have an edge after 5-6 shaves. So, as an Astra user that has gone for duration, how far have you pushed one Astra?

I just picked up three packs of Gillette "the Spoiler" blades. Why could this have not been before Feb?!

Chad, are you the guy from Buffalo? So, what can you tell me about "The Spolier" blades? When were they originally produced? I picked up a really clean Super Speed Red Tip on the Bay last month and it came with a partial pack of the Spoilers. I have been wondering if I should use them or save them.

Shave 23

Brush: Semogue 620
Blade: Dorco 301
Soap: Czech & Speake #88
Post Shave: Proraso AS

Almost BBS, but we'll call it an excellent DFS!!

I think this blade could.... go.... all... the.... way!!!!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Still using the Feather. Amazingly, no pulling, but I'm starting to notice a few "missed" spots occasionally. I'm not sure if the smooth comfortable shave is due to the blade or the Santa Maria Novella. I'm leaning toward the SMN and would imagine that if I tried something else, there might be more pulling.

Top Bottom