What's new

Rudy Vey Custom Shaving Brushes and Restorations

Just wanted to echo the chorus of praise for Rudy Vey.

I was looking to add one more brush to my morning regimen but after seeing all the beautiful work here I couldn't resist ordering two brushes. Rudy couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. On top of the excellent customer service the brushes are outstanding. If anyone is looking for a brush (or brushes) that gives you tremendous value for your $ then look no further.

The first is a chubby butterscotch with STA 26 mm knot and the next is a black beehive STA 24 mm knot.

Attachments

• $IMG_3286.jpg
    $IMG_3286.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,495
All-

I recently bought a Dark Knight handle from Rudy. I sent him a TGN knot to mount. Today I received this fine brush.
24.5 mm knot with a 53mm loft. Looking forward to tomorrow's shave.

Thanks Rudy.

Rudy restored two brushes for me, a Simpsons Polo 8 and a Klenzo, both in beautiful butterscotch.

attachment.php

I received them last night, and went to work with the Polo this morning.

I have to say, I'm really impressed. This is my first experience with a TGN knot, and the Finest did not disappoint. It compares quite favorably to Simpsons "Best" grade. It's the largest badger that I own, so it will take a little getting used to. I lost a single hair, but considering the density of the 24mm knot, that is very impressive.

I got these about a week after I sent them out - that is fast turnaround, folks.

Thumbs up to Rudy Vey for bringing these brushes back to life :thumbup1:

Last edited:
One of my two Rudy Vey restos is that exact butterscotch Klenzo with a finest GN knot in a bulb shape. It's my favorite brush. Love it, love it, love it.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Rudy restored two brushes for me, a Simpsons Polo 8 and a Klenzo, both in beautiful butterscotch.

attachment.php

I received them last night, and went to work with the Polo this morning.

I have to say, I'm really impressed. This is my first experience with a TGN knot, and the Finest did not disappoint. It compares quite favorably to Simpsons "Best" grade. It's the largest badger that I own, so it will take a little getting used to. I lost a single hair, but considering the density of the 24mm knot, that is very impressive.

I got these about a week after I sent them out - that is fast turnaround, folks.

Thumbs up to Rudy Vey for bringing these brushes back to life :thumbup1:

These were fun to do, and came out sweet!! They cleaned up very nicely. This was a great find for a few bucks: a Polo 8 in butterscotch!!

Okay B&B. I am so excited I can barely figure out how to put into words what Rudy has crafted for me. The story goes like this. My grandfather had an irish Shillelagh (blackthorn cane/walking stick) that my dad had sitting in his room for years. I asked my dad if I could have it since it sat in his room doing nothing. Low and behold it sat in my room doing nothing. I then had an idea of having it turned into razors as a family heirloom. Through some pictures and great communication Rudy was up for the challenge. Grandpa has been long gone but will never be forgotten as all the men in the family will now have a piece of that Shillelagh. I will be giving my dad his for his upcoming birthday his razor Mach 3 (surprise). My brother will have a fusion and me and my two sons will have 3 DE's! Again I am at a loss of words for this brilliance! (note the handle of the cane under the razors)

Rudy simply put "you are an artist" (and the man!!). :w00t::001_smile
Thank you

$DSCN4504.jpg
$IMG_3345.jpg$IMG_3347.jpg

Okay B&B. I am so excited I can barely figure out how to put into words what Rudy has crafted for me. The story goes like this. My grandfather had an irish Shillelagh (blackthorn cane/walking stick) that my dad had sitting in his room for years. I asked my dad if I could have it since it sat in his room doing nothing. Low and behold it sat in my room doing nothing. I then had an idea of having it turned into razors as a family heirloom. Through some pictures and great communication Rudy was up for the challenge. Grandpa has been long gone but will never be forgotten as all the men in the family will now have a piece of that Shillelagh. I will be giving my dad his for his upcoming birthday his razor Mach 3 (surprise). My brother will have a fusion and me and my two sons will have 3 DE's! Again I am at a loss of words for this brilliance! (note the handle of the cane under the razors)

Thank you

View attachment 220262
View attachment 220263View attachment 220264

those are freaking AWESOME. great story, great idea and great looking razors. well done on everyone involved. from the idea, to the follow thru and craftsmanship by Rudy

Ok, the Shillelagh razors are just flat out awesome! What a wonderful idea you had to take a family heirloom and turn into 5 heirlooms! Kudos to you and to the amazing Rudy Vey. Umm... I want one. There IS still some left on that handle. Adopt me? :laugh:

I must give Rudy a ton of credit for working with me on these brushes. One on the left is a 24mm UK Silvertip (Vulfix) knot set at 49mm? loft I believe and the one on the right is a Shavemac D01 28mm knot set at 49mm. Really can't wait to get these in! Thanks a ton Rudy!

proxy.php

Thank you

View attachment 220262
View attachment 220263View attachment 220264
That is freakin' awesome!

Err...am I the only one who sees a brush handle in the knob?:biggrin1:

I must give Rudy a ton of credit for working with me on these brushes. One on the left is a 24mm UK Silvertip (Vulfix) knot set at 49mm? loft I believe and the one on the right is a Shavemac D01 28mm knot set at 49mm. Really can't wait to get these in! Thanks a ton Rudy!

proxy.php
Those are gorgeous Joe. I'm really jonesing to get with Rudy for something like a 28mm or 30mm knot in a horn or antler handle. I like how that one is set in at an angle- great idea.

That is freakin' awesome!

Err...am I the only one who sees a brush handle in the knob?:biggrin1:

Actually talked about a brush handle. You can't see it but there are some deep cracks in the knob and no really good way to stabilize the wood. The cost and risk of still not working was not worth it. however I am going to look into making it a razor stand!!

proxy.php
[FONT=&quot]What is the handle material for the one with the angle? Awesome!!![/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]What is the handle material for the one with the angle? Awesome!!![/FONT]

They are both stabilized box elder burl with different colors impregnated for each. I had acquired these blocks and sent them to Rudy to turn the handles and he did a fantastic job. The purple/green one had a little bark in it, but I think it adds character and a rustic look. Hopefully should have these by the end of the week.

Rudy Vey

They are both stabilized box elder burl with different colors impregnated for each. I had acquired these blocks and sent them to Rudy to turn the handles and he did a fantastic job. The purple/green one had a little bark in it, but I think it adds character and a rustic look. Hopefully should have these by the end of the week.

That was some great stuff!! The bark inclusion of the slanted handle also had some metal in it, it sparked like hell when I turned in this area. Sometimes a nail is driven in a tree, and then the tree grows over it, this also explains why the bark inclusion is inside the piece of wood. Nevertheless, it was one of the hardest wood-based materials I ever turned, and my tools needed sharpening afterwards. Not sure what they who makes them does, be he is doing it well. The colors are just amazing. I used to used some double dyed BEB for pens, but they never looked as stunning as these pieces. It looks like he use three or even four colors, the slanted has green, blue, purple in it.

Rudy Vey

I had a brush coming back from a customer, he wanted a very soft brush, but the Shavemac D01 hair was not to his liking. The brush was just once test lathered by the customer.
I got it back last Friday and have sterilized it in highly diluted Barbicide. It is a PJ shape with a Shavemac D01 Two-band knot in bulb shape. The knot diameter is 22 mm and the loft is 46/47 mm. Since this brush is considered used, I will sell it for $135 shipped CONUS (priority mail) or Canada with First Class mail.

Attachments

• $IMG_3356.jpg
    $IMG_3356.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,062
Top Bottom