What's new

The Anything Thread

Thanks all.

And congratulations Blake.

Our offer on the house was accepted. It is a very tiny little house, kinda like a cottage, with no garage and best of all... no mortgage!

The ironic thing is that this house is right next door to my first house that I bought nearly 25 years ago. I knew the original owner/builder. It is the smallest house on the block and is exactly what we were looking for. Small, cheap and in a decent neighborhood. We found plenty of small, crappy houses and cheap houses in crappy neighborhoods, but finding a cheap house in a nice neighborhood isn't easy.

Congrats Dennis!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Congrats Dennis!

Thanks. It was kind of fun putting in all my sell orders tonight to convert some stock to cash. I'm really going to miss Dollar General, it was the best stock I had. It way outperformed GE, Pfizer and Berkshire Hathaway.

Thanks. It was kind of fun putting in all my sell orders tonight to convert some stock to cash. I'm really going to miss Dollar General, it was the best stock I had. It way outperformed GE, Pfizer and Berkshire Hathaway.

:lol: Fun is not the way I would describe buying my house. very stressful but worth it in the long run.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Stocks all sold. Took a few hits as the market is down today. I thought about waiting until Tuesday (Monday is a banking and brokerage holiday) but was afraid that with the news about the down grading of the Euro, that next week could be a steady decline and I no longer have the time to wait for a recovery.

My stocks were all rock solid stuff, so I still realized an overall gain, just down a few hundred from yesterday. It could rally back strong on Tuesday, but I only have a limited time to make this all happen. So anyway, it will take until next week Thursday before I can actually get the cash, but we have a month to close, unless we decide to go sooner.

That's really great Dennis! Glad it's working out.

Matt, my new place is 5mine minutes from work!

Only 5 minutes? Nice, beats the heck out of a long commute don't it?

And on a completely unrelated side note, beer + aging in bourbon barrels = awesomeness squared. :001_wub:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
That's really great Dennis! Glad it's working out.

Matt, my new place is 5mine minutes from work!

Nice going on the short commute. My current apartment is only 5 minutes and my gas usage is quite low. The new house will be a 15-20 minute commute. We couldn't find anything that was habitable in our price range that close to work.

Nice going on the short commute. My current apartment is only 5 minutes and my gas usage is quite low. The new house will be a 15-20 minute commute. We couldn't find anything that was habitable in our price range that close to work.

15-20 minutes isn't bad. It's about what my commute is now. Beats the heck out of slightly over an hour, or probably driving a semi around all day for that matter.

I hear you can use Schrute Bucks to buy extra mine minutes.

:w00t:

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
15-20 minutes isn't bad. It's about what my commute is now. Beats the heck out of slightly over an hour, or probably driving a semi around all day for that matter.

:w00t:

The commute to work, when I was trucking, was only about 4 feet. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom