What's new

A Question for the Runners

I was up to running 6 miles on the treadmill before work. But then we went on vacation and the holidays hit. I've been struggling to eek out 3 miles here lately and the weight has started creeping back up. I'm with Henry, I don't enjoy the actual running. But the feeling of accomplishment and almost lightness afterwards is almost addictive.

Well I finally did it, 2.06 miles in 19 minutes, 38 seconds. Took two and half months from not being able to run for 30 seconds. I won't lie - I don't enjoy running while running. It has, however, gotten easier and feels great afterwards. I guess now I need to work on longer runs?

Congratulations!

I've used language books before traveling overseas to brush up on my Italian. For the amount of time some of us spend running over the years, we could probably tackle quite a many languages.

I find that Books On Tape (available from my library in .wma or .mp3 format and uploaded to my music player) makes long runs go by a LOT quicker!
Can't handle BoT... someone reading to me always puts me to sleep... goes back to 1965... and continued through school :wink:

For me, the MP3 player is running some Judas Priest, Scorpions, or Iron Maiden.

I'll have to try that even if I'm not up to long runs yet (2.5 miles tonight). Songs seem to keep me too focused on the running. Thanks for the tip!

There are people that swear by music too. Music with a quick beat can be beneficial, your body can sync up your stride with the beat and make it easier to run faster. I tend to race with music, but I always train with books as I find them more enjoyable.

I run with music, but it's more of a mental thing as most of my running is done on the treadmill. I know if I look at the timer I'll just get discouraged, so I focus on the music and just keep thinking I can make it through one more song. Most songs are 3 to 4 minutes long, so I keep count of the number of songs I've gone through to know approximately how long I've been running. This is probably not for everyone as I've been accused of being a little OCD.

Another thing that helps me on my longer runs is to repeat a mantra to myself. Mine is "strong mind, strong body". Short and simple because I know my mind often gives out before my body actually does. I've heard of others using the Lance Armstrong quote "pain is temporary, but quiting is forever."

Another thing that helps me on my longer runs is to repeat a mantra to myself. Mine is "strong mind, strong body". Short and simple because I know my mind often gives out before my body actually does. I've heard of others using the Lance Armstrong quote "pain is temporary, but quiting is forever."

My favorite - pain is weakness leaving the body.

I started this last year. I am very over weight. I thought if others could do it...so could I. After 3 months I was still walking as fast as I could and that was less than 2.5 mph. I could sometimes get up to that for a bit but would come back down. My best was still a 23 minute mile. It was rough. I had good running shoes and everything. I went to the running store and had them fitted. I got discouraged and quit. I really want to start back up but now I cant walk a quarter mile without being too winded. My pace is way down now. Any ideas on how I can make a comeback and get a plan together. I know I would love it if I could get to the jogging part.

I started this last year. I am very over weight. I thought if others could do it...so could I. After 3 months I was still walking as fast as I could and that was less than 2.5 mph. I could sometimes get up to that for a bit but would come back down. My best was still a 23 minute mile. It was rough. I had good running shoes and everything. I went to the running store and had them fitted. I got discouraged and quit. I really want to start back up but now I cant walk a quarter mile without being too winded. My pace is way down now. Any ideas on how I can make a comeback and get a plan together. I know I would love it if I could get to the jogging part.

Two things will make a huge difference -

1. Diet. If you don't shred your diet, nothing else you do will make a difference. It's literally 70% of the battle. It's not a question of eating less, but of eating smarter - whole grains, fruits and vegetables, fish, no red meat, nothing processed, nothing artificial. Rather than try to follow some restrictive short-term fad diet, check out The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan, he gives good principles to help you make intelligent food choices at every meal.

2. Peer pressure. Join a walking group, get a running buddy, post your distance and pace results on Facebook after every walk. Tell everyone at work what you're doing. If other people are involved, it's that much harder to hit the snooze button or cut your run short.

I like what I am hearing so far. Now, you know, I am going to try to throw a monkey wrench into your equation. The only source of income for my husband and I is his SSI. We get state help for food. Lets just say that with his SSI and the food help we still have less that $1000/month. We have a daughter who shares this budget also. We have a few bills that we have to manage as well. How do I go about incorporating fruits, veggies, fish, and whole grains into my diet when they are more expensive than that garbage processed food? I am not trying to be argumentative. I hope it is not coming across that way. I would love to do what you are proposing. The hard part for me is going to be the whole grain. I just dont like the taste. I adore fruit and veggies. I grew up where you always had a meat and at least 2 veggies and one had to be green and if you had more than 2 veggies only 1 could be a starch. I cannot stand having to starches for supper (mac and cheese and mashed potatoes for supper, seriously?).

The peer pressure thing could be doable. The Facebook thing is easy enough. Not to mention the running store here may have a group or something.

Oh, no, I hear you. It's a major scandal in this country that calorie-dense nutrient-low foods are priced so cheaply - a lot of it has to do with government subsidies to corn producers allowing them to load everything up with HCFS cheaply.

Where in VA do you live? If you're anywhere near the shore you can get fresh seafood and fish directly from the boats. Check out farmer's markets, they usually have better prices than supermarkets. Buying meat directly from the butcher is cheaper than from a grocery store. If you're lucky there will be a health food co-op somewhere near you that'll let you trade labor for store credit.

And yeah, peer pressure is a great motivator. It's easier to talk yourself out of exercising by yourself than if you know that someone else is standing outside your door at 6am in the cold ready to go!

It's not a question of eating less, but of eating smarter - whole grains, fruits and vegetables, fish, no red meat, nothing processed, nothing artificial. Rather than try to follow some restrictive short-term fad diet, check out The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan, he gives good principles to help you make intelligent food choices at every meal.

Why? What's smarter about eliminating this type of food?

I do live on the coast. Getting the seafood will have to take some looking into but there is always something in season. There is a farmers market right down the road, so that will help in the summer. I dont know where the butchers are but the telephone book will take care of that. You have given me some food for thought.

I am looking into some groups around here. The area has one of the largest running groups in the US here and they do everything from walking to training for huge marathons. Maybe I can find someone there. If not, I am sure something will come along. Sitting on my butt is not going to find me a buddy that is for sure. I really plan on doing something this year for sure. I am going to start over the holidays getting up earlier so the transition will be a bit smoother come time to "hit the pavement." The plan it to walk for at least 6 months and get a good pace going there and get my resp and cardiac systems (not to mention the musc/skel systems) woken up before I even begin to start the run/walk stuff. Fact is...I did not put it all on in a day...It will not all come off in a day. The lifestyle is what I am after. I really dont care as much what the scale says, I just want the clothes to fit better and to be in good physical health (not to mention the mental side of it).

Top Bottom