What's new

New to B&B - Any advice for a female shaver?

In terms of products, I think you can use almost anything the guys can use. I like using a shave stick, just because the application is easier and I don't feel like I'm leaving a ton of extra lather in a bowl. Many of the soap and cream makers produce almond, rose, or fruit scents, if the manly ones don't do it for you.
+1 ... don't assume you need to buy only the women products. For the most part, there is no difference in Male or Female shaving gear, both hardware and software, except that the latter ones come in pink cans, are decorated with floral designs, and cost a bit more. The ingredients and specs are the same.

You'll have to experiment to find which scents you like best ... but everyone has to go through that, regardless of gender. Start with the unscented ones first, and then go on to try neutral aromas like Lavender, Rose, and Almond.

Finally ... Welcome to B&B, and Happy Shaving.

I have to shave my "butt crack" due to an recurring pilonidal abcsess. I found the best DE was a Edwin Jagger DE89, but the Gillette Atra is the best overall. A small head, no adjustment and no twist to open doors. Simple is best. That's the best advice I can offer.

Dude!! :confused1

There are just so many things I want to say in reply to this, that I think I won't say anything at all!

It is an abcess on my tailbone caused in part by previouse back surgies. I have to shave the area until the abcess heals, which despite two surgical procedures and two years, has yet to happen.
To the OP, sorry to take your thread in a weird direction. This is the only experience I have in shaving in hard to reach and delicate areas.

Last edited:
It is an abcess on my tailbone caused in part by previouse back surgies. I have to shave the area until the abcess heals, which despite two surgical procedures and two years, has yet to happen.
To the OP, sorry to take your thread in a weird direction. This is the only experience I have in shaving in hard to reach and delicate areas.

Ok! I guess that makes sense! and I suppose it is close to errrrr, you know...

First off, I would like to welcome you to B&B!!! I am a lady DE user and love it!!! I am going to give you my take on your questions. It is really not that difficult to get those intimate places. First you need to take your time. Second, I usually trade in my Lady Gillette (essentially a Gillette super speed with a longer handle and a cool color) for a "regular" super speed. (not that you can ever call a super speed regular!). For me the smaller handle in that area is easier. Long handle for the legs and pits, short handle for the tighter spaces. I will even often times use the super speed for my bikini line. I just find it easier, but YMMV.

In terms of technique, I'd do what the guys do with their facial hair--let it grow out a little and see what direction it's all growing in, perhaps with the aid of a mirror ;-). I have a little bench in my shower, and I think it's easiest to reach everywhere when you're standing 'captain morgan' style. Do a pass or two with the grain of the hair growth--this is pretty low risk, and even in....difficult areas, it's pretty difficult to cut yourself when you're going WTG. For some people, that's close enough, in which case, you're done. If not, the next passes can be across the grain, and if that's still not enough, you can carefully go against the grain (although this puts you at some risk for ingrown hairs).

That is the basic technique. Since it seems your skin is used to being shaved, it should, (note the word should) not be a big jump for you to go across the grain, or even against the grain. I would not do this until your skin gets used to the DE though. It does cause less irritation overall, but technique is a must. No Pressure!!! Let the razor do the work. The trick is to keep the skin very taught. It will take some practice and it will not be "like you want it" for a while. But dont give up. Once you get the hang of it, it really is a great shave!!!

In terms of products, I think you can use almost anything the guys can use. I like using a shave stick, just because the application is easier and I don't feel like I'm leaving a ton of extra lather in a bowl. Many of the soap and cream makers produce almond, rose, or fruit scents, if the manly ones don't do it for you.

Good luck!

Mostly yes. The thing is, you probably do not want to use CO Bigelow in that area. You want the soap/cream to be gentle but lather very well. Unfortunately, anything that is scented has the potential to be irritating. You are only supposed to bath with a mild soap and warm water. Now, some of this depends on you too. If you are not sensitive to products, then you have a bit more leeway. I might would go with something from one of our soap makers here on the board or off the board if you know of any. Mama Bear makes great products and could probably steer you in the right direction.

I guess my other advice would be that you might want to avoid shaving anything that you can only reach by uh...moving things around down there... because those are the parts that are going to be itchy when you get stubbly. I'll use the DE avoid a ladyforest, but when I actually want everything to be smooth down there and have some time to kill, I think wax is the tool of choice.

Definitely go with the DE. True...only go after what you can reach. I know this sounds stupid, but you are talking about a razor blade here. It will cut, well, more like slice. No go on the wax. For a touch up, yeah, maybe, but it sounds like you are doing more artwork than that.

My wife stole one of my adjustables. Reports from the women's room are as follows- hair conditioner for shaving cream, and go gently lest you peel off a piece of your hide.

If I could give any advice, get an adjustable set on 1 and take it easy.

Actually, an adjustable is a really good idea. Hair conditioner for shaving cream - bad idea. You can treat the hair with conditioner, but I would not shave with it. At most mix a tiny amount with your cream/soap. Conditioner actually gets gummy and as it sits on your skin beads up or something. I dont know the correct terminology for it, but it is not good for shaving. Glad wifey is not having any problems.

I have to shave my "butt crack" due to an recurring pilonidal abcsess. I found the best DE was a Edwin Jagger DE89, but the Gillette Atra is the best overall. A small head, no adjustment and no twist to open doors. Simple is best. That's the best advice I can offer.

Twist to open is not as much of an issue when you are not having to reach that far around yourself or that far through your legs to reach a pilonidal abcess. That really has to suck. What mike says is good though. A serious thought to consider. I never have a problem with my TTO's. I dont own an astra so I really do not know the difference between an astra and a super speed.

Again, as with all things, YMMV. This is just how I see things and how they come out for me.

I hope you stick around and keep asking questions. We are here to help. There are several of us ladies hang around. We also have a Women's Group that you can join as soon as you get your post count up to 50 and you have been with us for 45 days.

See you around B&B!!!

Welcome aboard!

The GF uses a Gillette Knack with Derby blades and canned goo. She likes the convenience of the canned stuff and I have no intention of trying to wean her off off of it. Coming from a cartridge, she really had to learn to modify her technique--cartridge razors, being dull from the start, encourage scraping--I had to show her how to change her technique, going with one or two passes only, esp under her arms and in other places. She does not shave ATG, and has learned to keep her skin taut when shaving those tricky areas. She has had issues with weepers, and one nasty cut on her leg near her shinbone, but other than that she is hooked.

Legs she had no issue with, except near shin bones, so I'd suggest being careful there. IF you are used to Carts I'd suggest a fairly forgiving blade to start--Red IPs or Derby might be a good choice. A Gillette TTO (knack, slim twist) would be another good choice, look for one with a plastic handle as they do well in the shower and are easy to grip. the Lady Gillettes are overpriced as far as I am concerned--but they are nice.

Last edited:
Welcome KaiT, and glad to see another female member, I have been known to shave those :blushing: "tricky areas" and my only recommendation would be to pre-test any soap or cream that you plain to use for that purpose somewhere else due to the sensitive nature of the skin in these areas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom