What's new

Jeans

Thank you very much for your responses.

From what I've personally heard, Lucky jeans are well made.

Let me ask now, what defines good jeans. Durability? Quality of material? Build?

Let me ask now, what defines good jeans. Durability? Quality of material? Build?
The pair that fits me the best. There is not much point in having a high quality, durable pair of jeans if they fit badly or uncomfortably.

Hello gentlemen,

I'm in some need of help looking for my next pair of jeans. I've worn banana republic's before and I think they are good quality. But truthfully, i dont know too much about jeans. So thats where I'm looking for help. What are some good quality jeans that hopefully cost under 100$.
I have worn Levis 501s for years. Levis have a huge range of styles, fits and fabrics that will fit pretty much every body shape and they make a very high quality product.

Cloth.

When you buy something like a low end Lucky or Diesel pair of denim trousers, expect them to last about a year or two. A pair of Shrink to fit Levis will last 5 or more. With Selvage Fabric 10 years or more if you don't wash em too much. Never iron or put real denim in the dryer.
There are way more denim freaks out there than there are shaving nuts!
Levis has some great selvage. If you are in a Levis store look at the tags, I find the Made in Mexico is better than the other imports. The Levis Vintage stuff (LVC) is amongst the best denim in the world. Fancy stores only for that stuff. Not at a Levis store.

If you just want good fitting jeans that are comfortable and wear well, no fuss other than fitting them like I described above, get a pair of 501 shrinks.

Cheers!

Last edited:
+1 on the 501 shrink to fits. I've had mine for 3 years now and they're going strong. The first time you soak them they'll lose 2-3" in the leg, so get a longer inseam if you're going this route. If you're having issues with jeans fitting well find a pair that fits in the seat and has a good rise, then bring them to your tailor to have the waist taken in (after a bit of wear on 501 STF, due to the shrinking and subsequent stretching). It's not a denim-head thing to do, but I doubt you're among that group.

One thing this forum has taught me is that denim is a very regional phenomenon. So without knowing where you're from, it's hard to put in a good recommendation. Even then, honestly. Why pay $300 for a pair of jeans you're never supposed to wash? Why, indeed.

Levi's for sure bro. I wear 511's. Skinnier than most here probably like. But I pull it off quite well if I may say so myself. The only wear I'm noticing on them now is my most worn pair's back wallet pocket is shredding. But that's because my wallet has a metal Angels (Anaheim) logo on it and isn't kind on the pocket. Levi's (of any fit/finish) fit well on me. I just prefer skinny fit.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
When I was wearing jeans, I was fed up with spending a lot for the brand names. I got my jeans at Sam's Club or Costco and was very happy with them. These are the store brand, but probably made in the same plant as the high price name brand jeans.

I have been wearing Levi 505 jeans at work for years. Durable (except for battery acid) and comfortable. One reason I keep going to them is that I am assured that the fit is exactly the same from pair to pair. I get them on line at Hanks Clothing (New York State). I know that Hanks has other brands, as well, if you wanted to check prices.

Levi's fit good if you pick the style you like many cuts, great quality denim one of the heaviest on the market, build they really used to test the jeans by pulling them like the logo. Maxim magazine did recreate the classic test using dirt-bikes and Levi's won and wranglers came in second if I recall all the designer labels were failures in the durability especially pulling them apart across the crotch.

Try Arizona jeans from JC Penney. I have Levis and Arizona, and love them both. They are reasonably priced, fit well, last a long time and if you live near a Penney store, they often have a buy one, get the second for half-price sale.

After trying just about everything out there except for ultra high-priced pseudo-luxury brands, I still come back to Lucky. They can be hard to find, but if you browse the internet, you can get what you want for $60 or less. Still, though, I don't hesitate paying $80-90 because I TRULY believe they're worth it.

On the other hand, if you're looking for work jeans, nothing I've worn compares to the fit, comfort and longevity of plain old Wal-Mart Wranglers. If I'm not wearing chinos to work, it's a $15-30 pair of Wranglers that look great and wear even better.

Makeyourownjeans.com , Various types of denim, various washes, and your choice of the color of the stitching. Also your choice of button fly or zipper.
They walk you through the process of measuring yourself. I've got five pair of jeans from them and the fit and finish have been great with each pair.

At least there's one brand that keeps coming up, which is confidence-inspiring. Unfortunately a pair of 501s costs around 800-1,000 yuan here, or $120-150.
I did have a pair of 501s once and they seemed pretty decent, though I've yet to settle on one brand. I'd provisionally recommend Muji (after only a couple of weeks wearing)- very comfortable, but the fabric isn't what I think of as denim at all. It's lighter, closer-woven and dries much quicker than std denim, which tends to be quite heavy.
My Uni-Qlo denims seem of thicker denim even than the Levi's I've had a look at here, but whether that necessarily means they'll last longer, I don't know.
Diesel are NOT well-priced. I'd stay away from that brand altogether

EDIT: Just found out all Uni-Qlo jeans are made by Kaihara! They also sell Kaihara selvage jeans under the UJ (ultimate jean) brand, but I'm not sure whether the ones I bought are selvage. Even if not, they are sure to be high quality at a steal of a price. :)

http://www.denimsandjeans.com/japanese-denim/talking-about-kaihara-denim-and-uniqlo-jeans/

Last edited:
Depends if you want jeans for function or fashion.

Function: Levis 501s and oh by the way, they're fashionable (to my eye) too

Fashion: Whatever the kids are wear'in these days...

Top Bottom