What's new

Any Audiophiles?

Oh yeah, there's some here.
I'm big on the cans right now, I don't have the cash or the space to throw together a system yet.
Sennheiser HD555 and Grado SR-80's are my choices.

Oh yeah, those are both nice cans. I still have my HD555's. Kinda wish I still had the Grados!

In the living room, I've got:
Phono: Rega 3 w/previous iteration of Rega standard arm (don't know what it's called)
Clearaudio Aurum Beta cartridge
NAD phono stage

CD: ARCAM CD 62

Amp: NAD M3 Master series integrated amp

Speakers: Tangent Acoustics R2

The Tangents must be going on forty years old by now. If you're old enough (gulp!) to remember the LS3/5A type speakers, it was a modified clone of that with a little more bass in a slightly larger box. I think they still sound great, but I also think I could use a hearing aid.

(* * *)

In my office I've got hooked up to the computer:

Apogee Digital Duet Firewire A/D and recording interface
Stax SRM-313 Earspeaker Driver
Stax SR-303 Earspeakers

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My friend has the best audio system I ever heard in a private residence (or, for that matter, an audio salon). He has the original Apogee speakers, full range ribbons standing almost seven feet tall and three feet wide, a custom built subwoofer the size of a large refrigerator, and one of the only amps able to deal with Apogee's "impedence curve of death".

When we listen to a well executed audiophile recording (eg: the corny but impressive battle scene from the Gladiator soundtrack, the infamous Dorian recording of Mussorgsky's Pictures, or some of the wonderful offerings from Reference Recordings) it makes my Magnepan/REL Stadium combo seem positively tinny by comparison.

My friend has the best audio system I ever heard in a private residence (or, for that matter, an audio salon). He has the original Apogee speakers, full range ribbons standing almost seven feet tall and three feet wide, a custom built subwoofer the size of a large refrigerator, and one of the only amps able to deal with Apogee's "impedence curve of death".

When we listen to a well executed audiophile recording (eg: the corny but impressive battle scene from the Gladiator soundtrack, the infamous Dorian recording of Mussorgsky's Pictures, or some of the wonderful offerings from Reference Recordings) it makes my Magnepan/REL Stadium combo seem positively tinny by comparison.

The one truism with audio gear is the best system you ever heard seems like the ultimate until you hear a better one and there always is a better one.

My systems include:

Livingroom:
McIntosh C29 pre-amp
McIntosh MC2100 amp
Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
Music Hall CD player
Empire 698 TT
AR-3a speakers

TV Room:
Fisher 500C receiver
Jolida Tube CD player
Thorens TD-124 TT
AR-5 speakers

Master Bedroom:
Fisher 400
Rega Planar 2
Sony Blu-ray player
Dynaco A-25 speakers

Spare Bedroom:
Philips 7891
Kenwood TT
AR 58 speakers

McIntosh MX-13/MC 250
Thorens TD 318
Heresy II's

Garage:
Fisher Console

Both Fishers are tube units & have been re-capped & have original or NOS tubes.

You guys with systems in multiple rooms must either be single or have very cool wives! My wife lets me "get away with" having an obnoxious (to her) system in the living room. No electronics, TV included, are to breach the bedroom threshold! My alarm clock is the most technological device allowed. I've actually grown to like this arrangement in the bedroom as it makes for a more restful environment. Otherwise, when I was a bachelor, I'd stay awake way too late too often because the TV was always accessible.

I still have and shipped over here my Conrad-Johnson PV2-A preamp and my Bryston 2 B amplifier. I have pair of Rogers Studio Monitors back in storage in the states, and a pair of Genesis speakers that I shipped here. My turntable was and is a Rega Planar 2. Unfortunately, I had to sell off my vinyl, as it is way too heavy and bulky to ship here. That was the worst part.

For those looking to get into high end audio, I have seen some great deals on quality used gear all over the internet, and today, you can put together a pretty nice audiophile setup for a reasonable sum if you don't mind buying used stuff.

You guys with systems in multiple rooms must either be single or have very cool wives! My wife lets me "get away with" having an obnoxious (to her) system in the living room. No electronics, TV included, are to breach the bedroom threshold! My alarm clock is the most technological device allowed. I've actually grown to like this arrangement in the bedroom as it makes for a more restful environment. Otherwise, when I was a bachelor, I'd stay awake way too late too often because the TV was always accessible.

My wife is very understanding...that said, the bedroom system is enclosed in an antique "tall boy" cabinet. The living room system is in a large (almost takes up the entire wall) antique wall unit & the TV room system is in a custom made console cabinet that I bought from a guy who was stationed in the Philippines in the early '70's.

Last edited:
My wife is very understanding...that said, the bedroom system is enclosed in an antique "tall boy" cabinet. The living room system is in a large (almost takes up the entire wall) antique wall unit & the TV room system is in a custom made console cabinet that I bought from a guy who was stationed in the Philippines in the early '70's.

Aaaah... Hide it among the classy antiques! This sounds like a good strategy!

Reviving the audiophile thread!

My main setup(using Apple lossless):
FiiO E7 -> Little Dot MK III -> Double Helix Molecule -> Sennheiser HD650(my babies!)

In the garage I've got Klipsch Promedia 2.1's. Not the best quality, but they definitely do the job for beer pong parties! :a50: And to think, they used to be my computer speakers! I'm so glad I got into headphones.

Last edited:
I love my Dayton sub. Great value!

That said, I gave up my audio obsession. I don't even have surround speakers hooked up and haven't pulled out a CD in ages save for the car. And I lost my turntable in a move and never even looked for it. Getting old sucks. LOL

Bi amped, bi wired Arcam here.
Lovely, natural sound and the wiring to the JMLabs speakers made all the difference.

Mid-eighties Rega turntable, Naim integrated amp. and Linn speakers. And a nice sounding Sony CD player from the late eighties.

I've built my setup over a decade, was never able to afford a good quality surround system at a given time. Initially started with a pair of NHT 2.5i speakers powered by an old Sony receiver for stereo sound. Moved to an Audible Illusions tube preamp and Parasound power amp, with a Sony SACD player providing the source. I now have the whole setup powered by Onkyo 805 receiver. Over the course of several years, added NHT rear speakers, as well as an NHT M6 for center channel duty. Pioneer 6020 plasma provides the display. For many years I ran the NHTs full-range. A few years ago I added a Rythmik sub crossed over at 50Hz. I'm very happy with this setup so far, but sometimes feel the itch to upgrade the main speakers. If only I could find NOS NHT M6s somewhere, I'm a huge fan of their sound.

Currently got a pair of Sennheiser HD590 headphones on my head that I bought in a sale around 6 or so years ago. They were half price, otherwise I wouldnt have got them. They have served me well though & are very comfortable. Sometime I forget I am wearing them.

Lately due to Spotify's restrictions I have been listening to a lot of music (Sam Cooke, Duke & The King, Charles Bradley, J.Cole) on www.grooveshark.com , you can set up a free profile & create your own free playlists or just play what you fancy while browsing other websites.

Main system:
Manley Snapper Mono Bloc amps
Balanced Audio Technology VK3i preamp
Cary 303/300 CD player
Project Xpression turntable
Gershman Advant Garde Speakers

Second system:
McCormack DNA1 Deluxe amp
Mapletree Audio Octal 6 preamp
Sim Moon audio Equinox cd player
Thiel 2 2 speakers

For day to day use I the Klipsch Image S4 earbuds (also have a pair of Vmoda Vibe buds). I also use Able Planet noise cancelling cans for travel. For home audio I have the Soundfreaq SQ1 BT/Ipod dock which I'm absolutely in love with. At work I have a Logitech Z515 bluetooth speaker which I just bought for $50.00 (refurbished) at CompUsa. Nice sound and it's rechargable as well.

I'm going to try not to sound snobby or elitist.

I AM an audiophile, but I like LIVE music.

Nothing beats sitting in a CSO concert... nothing can reproduce the way those chords lock in and the low rumble of live string basses. Mmmmm

Top Bottom